Author Topic: Is Avast 2014 Bloatware?  (Read 7526 times)

smodeski

Is Avast 2014 Bloatware?
« on: January 26, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
I absolutely love Avast and have been a user for many years. Its beauty is that it just sits in the background doing its job with little intervention from me. I'm on the verge of updating the 2014 internet security and noticed Grime Fighter and Safe Price features in the update box.  This scares me because it looks like Avast is going toward the kind of bloatware that Norton crams into its software. When I sign up for internet security, I could care less about, like system backups and computer optimizers. Here is the my question for you.  Is the new Avast just as easy to use, leaving a light footprint on my system, or is it now considered bloatware? Do I absolutely have to install 2014 internet security update in order to get the latest virus definitions for my existing software?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Is Avast 2014 Bloatware?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
Those elements are optional and by using custom install they will not install

On my system Avast 2014 AIS is as light as all the previous versions

VPS updates will continue for V7 and V8 for the moment

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »
Hi smodeski,

You are free to install your av security solution as you seem fit and without Grime Fighter enabled. I would keep the shields operational as these are a vital part of your online protection. For bundling issues just opt-out. Well what you describe is a common way in which software is being spread nowadays and customers just have to pay more attention to what they agree to to download and what they enable and/or what they exclude. After mentioning this I feel the software is just sitting there comfortably in the task bar and hopefully does what it should do. As soon as you feel an urge to discuss an issue here to make your uneasiness go away, feel free to do. It may also help others. We are your avast!support forum and we like everybody to trust that fine avast av solution for the full 100%. I have been "inside probing" avast! suspicious and malicious website detection/analysis now for some 10 years and I can assure you that it only got better and better and in these respects, for instance with hide-me malcode detection, avast! is absolutely unique and top of the bill! So much for my own personal experience! Do you know how many liters coffee and cola it took for the avast team members before they could come up with such a unique protection (and also for me as a volunteer to check on it?)   ;D

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

d3bt

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:10:48 AM »
Yes, it is unnecessary bloatware!  And sorry, but it's not true that you can opt out of installing this garbage.  On my machine, it installed as part of a normal update with absolutely no warning, notice or opt out.  On another machine, fresh install, it partially installed before giving the option to not install (and finding the option is NOT easy!).  Then, even after selecting not to install, this junk STILL INSTALLED and is RUNNING! with no option of uninstalling --- it's not in add/remove programs nor showing in the avast tools, but it is there and running and was NOT there before installing avast. 

This is the kind of junk I constantly warn users against and to find it in "security" software is UNACCEPTABLE on EVERY conceivable level!!!  You need to be able to trust your security software.   Due to this underhanded, sneaky behavior, I no longer trust avast.  If another vendor did this, it would be flagged as malware!  As a result, I'm currently evaluating alternatives and will be switching to a different product and will no longer recommend the product to anyone.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:41:08 AM »
Here are the choices/Options available to install OR not install all shown when a CUSTOM Install is used.
When installing any software, always choose the CUSTOM install as it will show all elements/modules being installed. :)

true indian

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »
I must admit I am sad about the increased useless crap in avast! I hope avast stops adding these things or just get rid of that idiotic grime crap.It sucks and it is worst as a tool.However,on the other end the cloud modules and deepscreen are steadily improving and reaction times to a undetected threat from cloud is getting better and better.

Now I am only in seek of dyna-gen and I think cloud will be very strong by this month.

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:50:19 AM »
Yes, it is unnecessary bloatware!  And sorry, but it's not true that you can opt out of installing this garbage.  On my machine, it installed as part of a normal update with absolutely no warning, notice or opt out.  On another machine, fresh install, it partially installed before giving the option to not install (and finding the option is NOT easy!).  Then, even after selecting not to install, this junk STILL INSTALLED and is RUNNING! with no option of uninstalling --- it's not in add/remove programs nor showing in the avast tools, but it is there and running and was NOT there before installing avast. 

This is the kind of junk I constantly warn users against and to find it in "security" software is UNACCEPTABLE on EVERY conceivable level!!!  You need to be able to trust your security software.   Due to this underhanded, sneaky behavior, I no longer trust avast.  If another vendor did this, it would be flagged as malware!  As a result, I'm currently evaluating alternatives and will be switching to a different product and will no longer recommend the product to anyone.

Perhaps you should read how to install the software?

http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB3#artTitle

Always CUSTOM install

Within avast you can add or remove modules whenever you wish, it takes a few seconds to do so .......

http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »
If it's really an issue about Avast! & Grime fighter. Here's my advice. Their are two great tools out there. Ignoring it. And Unchecky.

Both are great to have. And I recommend either or, if not both.

VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »
If it's really an issue about Avast! & Grime fighter. Here's my advice. Their are two great tools out there. Ignoring it. And Unchecky.

Unchecky is a great little utility but it can't unchecked what isn't checked in the first place. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 06:56:32 PM »

Unchecky is a great little utility but it can't unchecked what isn't checked in the first place. :)

Well I know it has been stated by you Bob in many posts, as well as my original reply to the OP and then again "repeated" by AdrianH
Always choose "CUSTOM INSTALL" when installing any software. That way you can SEE what is being offered(or not offered). ;D