Author Topic: Plan on upgrading to win8.1 but need help first  (Read 15424 times)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Plan on upgrading to win8.1 but need help first
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:26:53 PM »
So I am asking cause I'm a bit worried with the update and stuff.. Gateway recommends users to do a few things before the update such as,
 1.Update your BIOS & antivirus to the latest version.
 2.Please uninstall any Intel and/or NVIDIA VGA drivers before updating to Windows 8.1.

Both of them got me a bit worried and confused.. I asked a few people what would they do and they think I shouldn't follow the recommendation of uninstall the Intel hd graphics VGA Driver before starting the update installation. (Btw how do I remove the driver the correct way?)

And I am also wondering about the first thing on that list and it is to update my computer's BIOS.. I have UEFI BIOS (See Image for system information), Their reason supposed for recommending updating the BIOS is for (Your system may require additional software, firmware, and/or a BIOS update to install and run Windows 8.1), the latest BIOS for my computer is listed as "- UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) Update F2 function for the scenario "End-user shutdown and then power on the system based on Win8/Win8.1" Do I just install that one or do I have to install all BIOS updates I missed which I have no idea how many I missed sadly..

Here is the page where Gateway recommends what they do, http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/windows81-update  My system information: Windows 8 64-bit, Processor: Intel B960, VGA: Intel hd graphcis, ram: 4GB DDR3 Memory, HDD: 500GB.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Plan on upgrading to win8.1 but need help first
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:38:36 PM »
Just make sure you have the latest version of avast installed before updating windows.
There shouldn't be a problem that way.
Forget about removing the drivers and updating the bios.
There is no need for it.

Edit:
Backup your data before updating.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:11:14 AM by Eddy »

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:43:21 AM »
Just make sure you have the latest version of avast installed before updating windows.
There shouldn't be a problem that way.
Forget about removing the drivers and updating the bios.
There is no need for it.

Edit:
Backup your data before updating.
Are you sure its like safe to update without removing the intel hd graphics VGA Driver? I don't want to get issues at all that may void the warranty.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:42:03 AM »
Updating software is never voiding warrenty.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 05:42:30 AM »
You would only have to install the last Bio's.

To remove the graphics do so through Programs and Features and your first windows update after installing 8.1 should re-install the new graphics, if it doesn't or there is a later version of the graphics available via your systems website then you can always update them later.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 05:51:09 AM »
You would only have to install the last Bio's.

To remove the graphics do so through Programs and Features and your first windows update after installing 8.1 should re-install the new graphics, if it doesn't or there is a later version of the graphics available via your systems website then you can always update them later.
Gateway does have a newer version for the VGA driver listed under windows 8.1 on the drivers page for my gateway NE56r41u machine. I didn't know windows would install the driver that gateway includes.. Would not having the VGA driver though make the installation of windows 8.1 longer?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »
I didn't know windows would install the driver that gateway includes.. Would not having the VGA driver though make the installation of windows 8.1 longer?
Gateway might have a more recent version of the Intel Graphics driver for your system ( depending on when they last updated it ) but windows update certainly will install the driver if it is not installed or they have a newer version.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 03:34:24 AM »
Finally getting around to downloading windows 8.1 I'm about to update the BIOS..

I've been using the antivirus that came preinstalled on this machine for the last 60 days. (Norton Internet Security) Its about to expire. Does any here know how do I disable Norton so I can update the BIOS without it causing issues?

Edit: I got the BIOS updated :) Now waiting for windows 8.1 ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:20:36 AM by Coolmario88 »

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:18:08 AM »
Can anybody please tell me this.. Do you think Mcdonalds or somewhere be a better place to go to do the download instead of at home? My internet speed at home is 1MBPS (DSL)..

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:11 AM »
I have 72 mbits at home with wlan and it took 4 hours to download :)
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »
Can anybody please tell me this.. Do you think Mcdonalds or somewhere be a better place to go to do the download instead of at home? My internet speed at home is 1MBPS (DSL)..
You get free WiFi from McDonalds ??? we don't that luxury here in Australia :(

I'm supposed to get 21Mbps but speed test shows I have 32Mbps capability yet windows download manager shows about 1Mbps and the 8.1 update took 3 hours to download and install ( start to end ), wherever you can get it fastest would be my choice but make sure it's a reliable connection with no dropouts.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
I don't think Mac Donald is going to be faster either with all these people using the wifi. Besides you are not going to stay Mac Donald for 2hrs+ :3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »

Aside from the obvious, these public wifi points aren't as secure, so being on-line for that long could be risky.

Do local government offices/library buildings, etc. not have fast broadband that the taxpaying public can use ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »

Aside from the obvious, these public wifi points aren't as secure, so being on-line for that long could be risky.

Do local government offices/library buildings, etc. not have fast broadband that the taxpaying public can use ?
Our local library has wifi. I might just try the library's wifi if the windows 8.1 download resets again here at home.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »

Our local library has wifi. I might just try the library's wifi if the windows 8.1 download resets again here at home.

Good idea, you can read a good book whilst waiting ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security