Author Topic: Problem Avast vs Outlook Express  (Read 4103 times)

REDACTED

Problem Avast vs Outlook Express
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:21:16 AM »
I have used Avast Free for several years on my Windows XP computer, but today I decided to uninstall it since I would use another antivirus software. After uninstall of Avast, I could no longer use my Yahoo e-mail account with Outlook Express 6. (It worked just before.)

When trying to check for new e-mails I got the message: "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Yahoo Mail', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E".

I tried several things, but nothing helped. I came to think that several times last years, when I had turned off Avast temporary for a while when doing something on my computer, the same thing had happened then when I tried to check my e-mail and had forgotten to turn Avast back on again. Those times I just turned Avast on, and everything worked as usually again. (That's why I guess this problem today is related to Avast.)

Then I downloaded and reinstalled a new Avast 10.3.2225. (I don't know what version I had before.) Unfortunately this made not much of a difference. Outlook Express just changed the message a little: "The server responded with an error. Account: 'Yahoo Mail', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 188.125.69.44 (188.125.69.44:110), connect error 10060', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90".

I then also tried to turn off the Avast E-mail shield. Then the message from OE changed back again to the first one.

So, that is where I am now, after about 5 hours of working with this. Perhaps somebody have a solution? That would be very nice! (I don't have much knowledge in this network or e-mail stuff, like ports, sockets and SSL.)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Problem Avast vs Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:32:05 AM »
Try change account settings in outlook .... it seems you have wrong port settings

See here    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3697.html

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 12:35:04 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:37:36 AM »
I guess all you need is to determine the correct account settings in OE. (They may be different with and without Avast.)

Try to create a new account in Outlook Express for your yahoo address and to get it to work? Then copy the settings to your original account.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:27 AM »
After your suggestions, I tried some changes from    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/pop%C2%A0settings-yahoo-mail-sln4724.html.

And... now it's working! ;D

Thank You very much, Pondus and Izibia, for very fast help!