Author Topic: How to disable popups?  (Read 39728 times)

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: How to disable popups?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 02:12:20 PM »
I get the normal vps update pop-up when the update is downloaded.

You may be getting the proper pop-up, but the OP might not be getting the right one.

But your suggestion to "disable the community features" does not solve the OP's problem.  I HAVE disabled the community features and STILL get the advertisement pop-ups along with the normal vps pop-ups.  If disabling the community features did disable the advertisement pop-ups, then I shouldn't be getting any advertisements - I should only be seeing the vps pop-ups.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
I get the normal vps update pop-up when the update is downloaded.

You may be getting the proper pop-up, but the OP might not be getting the right one.

But your suggestion to "disable the community features" does not solve the OP's problem.  I HAVE disabled the community features and STILL get the advertisement pop-ups along with the normal vps pop-ups.  If disabling the community features did disable the advertisement pop-ups, then I shouldn't be getting any advertisements - I should only be seeing the vps pop-ups.

I can confirm the same thing.  I've had community features disabled thru several versions of Avast.  With the past few updates, the only way to rid myself of the Avast popup ads is to disable VPS notification popups.  This shouldn't be happening.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Noob2342

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 03:06:54 AM »
Oh look, a new advertisement popup (in addition to all the others):

Are you kidding me?

Noob2342

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
In addition to the normal popups, it appears that on holidays Avast! take the liberty of being especially annoying:

Noob2342

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 11:26:22 PM »
Ah, another new one! It's great, because I was getting kind of tired of the old ones.

Seriously, Avast! developers, this is ridiculous.. I paid for this software and I shouldn't be getting popups several times a day trying to get me to "upgrade" or buy additional services. I used to recommend Avast! to people. Now I don't.

Grumpfuttock

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 03:26:16 AM »
I have been a paying customer of Avast since version 4, and up to now have been extremely satisfied with Avast until this current version 9.
I have always appreciated the popup that informed me that my virus database had been updated, but I certainly do not appreciate the "Buy Now" / "Find Out More" popups for additional Avast software that I have been getting recently.
I  chose to renew the Internet Security version for 3 PC's for 2 years  because it suits my needs, so I do NOT need daily popup adverts from Avast for features I had decided NOT to buy eg. Avast Premiere, Secureline VPN, Easy Pass, Avast Backup etc. One of the items on the Avast 9 user interface is "Store" where all the available upgrades and products are listed, so the "Buy Now" / "Find Out More" popups are unnecessary.

If this aggressive selling on the part of Avast does not stop soon, I will not be renewing my licences when they run out in 6 months time. Reading through this thread it seems there are others who this also upsets, so it would be a shame if the Avast team lost customers due to this.

One solution to the problem may removing version 9 and re-installing version 8 if it can be obtained somewhere. The update to version 9 kept crashing my wifes PC (Vista) and we had to revert to Avast 8 for it to run, and it seems that she gets none of these unwanted pop-ups.

rafaelluik

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
Avast! became malware itself.

From Wikipedia: "The term adware is frequently used to describe a form of malware (malicious software), usually that which presents unwanted advertisements to the user of a computer. The advertisements produced by adware are sometimes in the form of a pop-up."

See? Perfect description of Avast!.
Sigh, one of the main objectives of anti-virus is to keep us safe from adware malware.

No Avast!, NSA doesn't give a damn about me, I don't want your VPN.
Stop the pop-ups that say my browser is not rendering pages correctly as an ad for Google Chrome, it's irritating! I don't have any problems.

I've already installed Avira in another computer to test it.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 09:56:43 PM »
Avast! became malware itself.

From Wikipedia: "The term adware is frequently used to describe a form of malware (malicious software), usually that which presents unwanted advertisements to the user of a computer. The advertisements produced by adware are sometimes in the form of a pop-up."

See? Perfect description of Avast!.
Sigh, one of the main objectives of anti-virus is to keep us safe from adware malware.

No Avast!, NSA doesn't give a damn about me, I don't want your VPN.
Stop the pop-ups that say my browser is not rendering pages correctly as an ad for Google Chrome, it's irritating! I don't have any problems.

I've already installed Avira in another computer to test it.

1) To be malware the ad must be malicious. The pop-ups are not malicious. They are advertizing.
2) Good luck with using an inferior product.
3) I don't like the pop-up advertizing either. Please feel free to contact avast using this form.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

rafaelluik

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
1) To be malware the ad must be malicious. The pop-ups are not malicious. They are advertizing.
My browser is working fine and NSA is not interested on me. The unwanted pop-ups suggesting I have problems just so I buy something or give them revenue via a partner seems pretty malicious to me.

2) Good luck with using an inferior product.
According to AV-Comparatives Avira isn't inferior. Correct me if I'm wrong...

3) I don't like the pop-up advertizing either. Please feel free to contact avast using this form.
Hahaha, perfect, I'll report avast itself as undetected malware.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:30:55 PM by rafaelluik »

Offline thready

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01:42 PM »
This same thing is happening to me and I am about to get rid of it. I paid for my subscription...

rafaelluik

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
Ok we disable this checkbox now. But what if a new version update removes it or switch the control of ad pop-ups to another specific checkbox or introduce new kinds of pop-up ads that must be disabled manually?

I don't want my friends to deal with that. There's less and less point to recommend avast to anyone.

The trust I once had is lost now. :(

When Chrome started being offered by Avast it was perfect, it was neutral (neither opt-in nor opt-out - two unchecked option boxes). Now Chrome is opt-out in the installation and some users are seeing Dropbox in the beta, ok I can still deal with that and at least it's not the kind of crap other software installers are used to offer. Fine, do money!

A pop-up suggestion to upgrade to the premium version is fine. An ad suggesting me my network or browser is faulty when it isn't, no sorry I won't accept that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:37:06 PM by rafaelluik »

naren17

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 06:02:24 AM »
The reason I asked is because there are different areas from which they could originate and I don't get them in anything close the the frequency you are stating. I don't even know what avast version you are using, possibly AIS giving you said you have paid and the unsecured network notification.

Have you implemented the suggestion I made.

If this is the 30 day Security report when you get it, I believe it can be disabled, I don't see these either.

Have they removed  30 day security report option from the latest stable version?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 03:17:07 PM »
The reason I asked is because there are different areas from which they could originate and I don't get them in anything close the the frequency you are stating. I don't even know what avast version you are using, possibly AIS giving you said you have paid and the unsecured network notification.

If this is the 30 day Security report when you get it, I believe it can be disabled, I don't see these either.

Have they removed  30 day security report option from the latest stable version?

I honestly don't know if it has (not seen in the 9.0.2013 UI) or if this is a default action, which can be disabled in the 30 report screen once displayed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

naren17

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »

I honestly don't know if it has (not seen in the 9.0.2013 UI) or if this is a default action, which can be disabled in the 30 report screen once displayed.

I too didn't find it in the GUI in the latest version. Guess they removed it. Hope by default they dont show it & if they show it, provide the option to disable it like it was in one of the previous version.

guest2000

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »

A pop-up suggestion to upgrade to the premium version is fine. An ad suggesting me my network or browser is faulty when it isn't, no sorry I won't accept that.

A friend had this pop up recently ' this WIFI is unsecure', Dont let the NSA see , 'Make me invisible'

After reading on here I can see that it is primarily an advert but the unsecure part worried me because as far as I knew her network is secure and nothing has been changed in the last year.  Oddly enough I think these popups roughly started after she re-registered Avast. 

Is her network unsecure or not ? - It is a Virgin superhub which I'm not familiar with but I checked and it has WPA2 and a key. Not sure what else to check. 

Tried turning wireless off but had to switch it back on as scanner was using it.