Author Topic: How to disable popups?  (Read 39709 times)

Noob2342

How to disable popups?
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:08:21 AM »
I've used avast! free for a few years and have always really liked it. This year, I decided to buy a license, but I am finding the new version of avast! incredibly frustrating. One of things that is driving me absolutely nuts is all of the f***ing popups! There are popups for everything from updates, to advertisements, to "informational" messages, to security reports, etc.

I tried entering "0" in for the popup durations, but that seems to have the opposite affect of making the durations infinite.

If there isn't a way to disable all of these stupid, f***ing popups, I am uninstalling avast! and moving on to something else. I used to love avast!, but it has become incredibly bloated and it seems like I'm always being bombarded by advertisements from it these days.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to disable popups?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:42:50 AM »
That is because 0 is unlimited duration and you have to close it, 1 second is the lowest valid setting.

I haven't a clue what these 'bleeping' popups are other than the swearing there isn't a great deal of information.

Some settings that might help reduce the number of popups is to uncheck the AvastUI > Settings Appearance - scroll down to Community Features and uncheck the two options.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Noob2342

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
I haven't a clue what these 'bleeping' popups are other than the swearing there isn't a great deal of information.

Really? You have no idea what popups I'm talking about? How about these, off the top of my head:

Popups after avast! updates
Popups when I connect to an unsecured network with some stupid message about the NSA spying on me (it an ad for avast!'s VPN service)
Avast! software update popups (for other software on my computer, not for avast)
Upgrade popups (even though I paid for avast!) and "special offer" popups
Security report popups
Other "informational" popups that I can't remember right now

That's just what I can remember off the top of me head. I do not want to get a dozen popups a day from my antivirus.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 05:33:43 PM »
The reason I asked is because there are different areas from which they could originate and I don't get them in anything close the the frequency you are stating. I don't even know what avast version you are using, possibly AIS giving you said you have paid and the unsecured network notification.

Have you implemented the suggestion I made.

If this is the 30 day Security report when you get it, I believe it can be disabled, I don't see these either.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

timcan

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:10:29 AM »

Really? You have no idea what popups I'm talking about? How about these, off the top of my head:

Popups when I connect to an unsecured network with some stupid message about the NSA spying on me (it an ad for avast!'s VPN service)
Avast! software update popups (for other software on my computer, not for avast)
Security report popups

That's just what I can remember off the top of me head. I do not want to get a dozen popups a day from my antivirus.

Hi, just a suggestion that you might try. Put Avast! in silent/gaming mode, this should suppress most popups and messages.
Hope this helps.  :)

Noob2342

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:41:16 AM »

Security report popups

Hi, just a suggestion that you might try. Put Avast! in silent/gaming mode, this should suppress most popups and messages.
Hope this helps.  :)

I would, except that from what I've read that also disables alerts and warnings (i.e. the only things that a user should ever be bothered with, as it's actually important.

I am in disbelief that avast! let's you set the duration for info and update popups, but that you can't disable them completely. It's ridiculous.

Noob2342

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »
Yesterday and today I've been getting popups asking me to rate Avast! on Amazon.

I am so sick and tired of these popups. Why isn't there a way to turn them off?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 05:12:40 PM »
GUI>Settings>Updates>scroll down to "details">untick the box as shown.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 05:22:28 PM »
Yesterday and today I've been getting popups asking me to rate Avast! on Amazon.

This sounds more a community styled pop-up - did you not disable this as I suggested on Reply #1 ?

Noob2342

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »

This sounds more a community styled pop-up - did you not disable this as I suggested on Reply #1 ?

Yes, I unchecked box check boxes under Community Features.

Noob2342

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 12:59:41 AM »
In addition get continuing to get the popups asking me to rate avast on Amazon, now I started getting this popup today:

Oh look, another advertisement.

I'm seriously regretting paying for avast.

dbpeckham

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »
I'm having the same problem.  I get several popups a day in spite of using the AdBlock extension in Google Chrome.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
I'm having the same problem.  I get several popups a day in spite of using the AdBlock extension in Google Chrome.

AdBlock has nothing to do with avast pop-ups.
These are probably related to the (wrongly worded) vps updates.
Follow my instructions in reply #7 and see what happens.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »

AdBlock has nothing to do with avast pop-ups.
These are probably related to the (wrongly worded) vps updates.
Follow my instructions in reply #7 and see what happens.

Unchecking the community features does not prevent the pop-ups in question.  They are not "wrongly worded vps updates" since I get the normal vps update pop-up when the update is downloaded.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
I get the normal vps update pop-up when the update is downloaded.

You may be getting the proper pop-up, but the OP might not be getting the right one.