Author Topic: How to disable popups?  (Read 39708 times)

Noob2342

Re: How to disable popups?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »

A pop-up suggestion to upgrade to the premium version is fine. An ad suggesting me my network or browser is faulty when it isn't, no sorry I won't accept that.

A friend had this pop up recently ' this WIFI is unsecure', Dont let the NSA see , 'Make me invisible'

After reading on here I can see that it is primarily an advert but the unsecure part worried me because as far as I knew her network is secure and nothing has been changed in the last year.  Oddly enough I think these popups roughly started after she re-registered Avast. 

Is her network unsecure or not ? - It is a Virgin superhub which I'm not familiar with but I checked and it has WPA2 and a key. Not sure what else to check. 

Tried turning wireless off but had to switch it back on as scanner was using it.

NO, her network is NOT insecure. The wording Avast uses in that popup is a scare tactic to try to get you to buy their VPN service. This kind of behavior is what I would expect from malware, not from my paid antivirus.

Emma36

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 03:50:37 PM »
I want the pop ups telling me Avast has been updated, it reminds me it is working properly.  The only pop up I get and can't stop  is the one that cost me money and annoys me is the "I have 13 grimes items on my pc".   When I click on it wants me to upgrade.  I can't seem to stop that one. 

Thanks for telling about setting the time to zero, I had done that.   Now it is set at 1. 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
The solution Emma is to change Avast in control panel (add/remove or Programs and Features ) and deselect Grimefighter

vtail

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 04:15:42 AM »
I looked for this control panel, and have come to figure out that this is only in PAID version?
  I am looking for a method to turn off the warning about UNSECURED network pop up,Yes I am on a open wifi connection because I am BROKE,,, really I can't afford all the thing's I'd like to have but I am happy that AVAST has this FREE program to use, But at the same time the pop up comes back a lot, and then my wifi gets disconnected. I've been using this wifi for a year or so,this just recently started . I know the GOOD folks that provide it and did so to help my family out though these hard time's <+10000, I know that someone good at coding hacking can will mess with who ever they can,I would like to be able to disable this feature,     

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
I looked for this control panel, and have come to figure out that this is only in PAID version?

No Control Panel is part of Windows, so it has nothing to do with avast.

I am looking for a method to turn off the warning about UNSECURED network pop up,Yes I am on a open wifi connection because I am BROKE,,, really I can't afford all the thing's I'd like to have but I am happy that AVAST has this FREE program to use, But at the same time the pop up comes back a lot, and then my wifi gets disconnected. I've been using this wifi for a year or so,this just recently started . I know the GOOD folks that provide it and did so to help my family out though these hard time's <+10000, I know that someone good at coding hacking can will mess with who ever they can,I would like to be able to disable this feature,     

I have no idea what avast version you are using, though reading between the lines, I would suspect you are using the avast free version ?

If you are then this "warning about UNSECURED network" pop-up is somewhat confusing, I thought this 'warning about UNSECURED network' pop-up was only displayed when using the avast Internet Security or avast Premier versions that have the avast firewall module.

So I think that your issue is different to this topic that you have jumped into and that control panel and GrimeFighter have nothing in common to your issue.

I would suggest that you create your own new topic Here, click the New Topic button and we will try to help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Noob2342

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 11:58:56 PM »
It's been a while since I've ranted in here, but the popups have NOT gone away. I'm very disappointed in the Avast! developers for having these advertising popups all the time. I didn't pay money for Avast! ISS to be annoyed with popups for other Avast! products all day long. Here's a new one as of today:

An antivirus is supposed to run silently in the background and only notify users when there's a problem. In the past I have always loved Avast! (after disabling notifications and sounds) and so I purchased the software for my computers this year, but I will not be buying Avast! again in the future. I will move on to a different product.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 02:19:32 AM »
It's been a while since I've ranted in here, but the popups have NOT gone away. I'm very disappointed in the Avast! developers for having these advertising popups all the time. I didn't pay money for Avast! ISS to be annoyed with popups for other Avast! products all day long. Here's a new one as of today:

An antivirus is supposed to run silently in the background and only notify users when there's a problem. In the past I have always loved Avast! (after disabling notifications and sounds) and so I purchased the software for my computers this year, but I will not be buying Avast! again in the future. I will move on to a different product.
You can disable the update panel into avast! settings.
The best things in life are free.

Noob2342

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »

Where?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »
<snip quote>

Where?

It was given in Reply #7 above - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145739.msg1058497#msg1058497 - along with an image of the setting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NoelC

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »
I haven't seen an unexpected pop-up from Avast (free) in a long while.  Not one.

Does the paid version not respect the same settings as the free version?  I can't imagine that to be true, but stranger things have happened.

For those of you who haven't managed to find all the settings to quiet Avast down yet:  Keep at it.  It's doable.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 06:42:53 PM »
I just need to vent my continued frustration at continuing to receive a tremendous amount of unwanted popup ads from Avast. Here's one I've been seeing on my personal secured WiFi network:

It's unbelievable to me that a program I paid money for continues to bombard me with advertisements. As soon as my licenses to Avast expire, I am switching to AVG.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
I just need to vent my continued frustration at continuing to receive a tremendous amount of unwanted popup ads from Avast. Here's one I've been seeing on my personal secured WiFi network:

It's unbelievable to me that a program I paid money for continues to bombard me with advertisements. As soon as my licenses to Avast expire, I am switching to AVG.
Since you are using a paid version you can install the new beta which allows you to disable the ad's :)
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=150784.msg1095725
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:30:33 PM by CraigB »

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »
...these stupid, f***ing popups...
It's been my experience that when asking for help, it's better to be humble and polite.  Don't forget why you're asking (i.e., because you actually DON'T know everything).

While everyone understands occasional frustration, stomping into a room and shouting off obscenities just identifies you as someone no one would want to help or even be around.  It doesn't make you seem smarter or more knowledgeable.  It doesn't mask or distract from your ignorance - quite the opposite.

Yes, there is a way to make Avast absolutely silent, keep out of the way, and not present you with a bunch of extra "Tools" you don't need.   It's the way it works for me, and I might even have been tempted to show you how, annotated with diagrams, if you'd been nice about asking.  But that actually takes a bit of work, and as a fellow user why would I want to do that for someone who's just polluted the forum with nasty remarks?

Please think about this and next time you need to interact with others you consider avoiding yelling obscenities that you've gone to extra effort to push through the obscenity blocks.

-Noel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »
Next version of avast! paid products will allow to disable other products offers for the ones who wants that.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2014, 02:35:14 AM »

Since you are using a paid version you can install the new beta which allows you to disable the ad's :)
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=150784.msg1095725

Sounds promising, but when I click the link the forum says I don't have permission to view the forum?

...these stupid, f***ing popups...
It's been my experience that when asking for help, it's better to be humble and polite.  Don't forget why you're asking (i.e., because you actually DON'T know everything).

While everyone understands occasional frustration, stomping into a room and shouting off obscenities just identifies you as someone no one would want to help or even be around.  It doesn't make you seem smarter or more knowledgeable.  It doesn't mask or distract from your ignorance - quite the opposite.

Yes, there is a way to make Avast absolutely silent, keep out of the way, and not present you with a bunch of extra "Tools" you don't need.   It's the way it works for me, and I might even have been tempted to show you how, annotated with diagrams, if you'd been nice about asking.  But that actually takes a bit of work, and as a fellow user why would I want to do that for someone who's just polluted the forum with nasty remarks?

Please think about this and next time you need to interact with others you consider avoiding yelling obscenities that you've gone to extra effort to push through the obscenity blocks.

-Noel

All good points, Noel. However, as a customer, I am really pissed that a paid product is constantly bombarding me with ads. Avast has lost me and many of my family members and friends as customers (current & future) due to their scum-bag ads and scare tactics (yes, I just said that, and I stand by it. For an antivirus company to have popups "warning" that people can snoop on your traffic, etc., in order to try to get them to buy their additional products is incredibly dishonorable and tacky IMO).