Author Topic: False positives  (Read 3031 times)

lister

False positives
« on: June 25, 2005, 10:27:22 PM »
How can I get avast! pro to ignore false positives for a particular file or program ?
A simple 'Ignore' option would be nice!

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: False positives
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 10:34:57 PM »
You should send these files to virus@avast.com with message header "False positives" for eg. if you are absolutelly sure it's not virus. Try to check files with http://virusscan.jotti.org/  If it's not detecting anything, send it to avast as I said before. Just adding option "Ignore" is too dangerous and I don't think it would be ever added. False positives is solved by  ALWIL guys so it should be fixed after some time

lister

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 11:51:03 PM »
It takes a while though (a month or more) for the update to include the fix - hence the request for an ignore button. Meanwhile I have to disable avast!'s Standard shield and disable the Net connection to use it.
Also, I assume that avast would need to be disabled to send the actual file - or at least the outbound E-Mail scanner?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 12:05:52 AM »
It takes a while though (a month or more) for the update to include the fix

Not true, certainly not for most cases. What makes you think so?
What false alarm are we talking about in particular? (malware name, file)

Meanwhile I have to disable avast!'s Standard shield and disable the Net connection to use it.

There's a list of exclusions for the Standard Shield - you can use it.

Also, I assume that avast would need to be disabled to send the actual file - or at least the outbound E-Mail scanner?

Yes. Or, you can put (Add) the file to Chest and submit it using the "Send to ALWIL Software" option.

lister

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 01:10:10 AM »
Not true, certainly not for most cases. What makes you think so?
What false alarm are we talking about in particular? (malware name, file)

There's a list of exclusions for the Standard Shield - you can use it.

I think it was the Photokit plugins - took over a month before avast! didn't pick it up as a Trojan - to be honest, I didn't submit it, just posted in this forum, so I assume a Mod did it.

I contacted Photokit about it at the same time as I mentioned it here though, and their mail said that they had already contacted avast! about it?!

Anyway, no biggy, just thought it would be nice if there was an Ignore function.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 01:13:28 AM by lister »