Author Topic: "Avast authorization" won't accept password?/can't uninstall (Avast Free)  (Read 4606 times)

mariana3

Hi,

I have Avast Free and a few days ago it suddenly started asking me for the password - whenever I click on the icon it shows a window with this text:

"Avast authorization: An attempt has been made to enter a protected area of avast! (general program access). This may be a legitimate action, but could also be the result of a malware attack. Do you want to continue?"... and there's a box for password, and "OK" and "Cancel" buttons.

Without password I can't access Avast in any way, not even to run a scan.

I ran Malwarebytes full scan yesterday and it found 2 bugs... the computer seems to be clear now, everything apparently works fine (even Avast), but I'm suspicious about this password-thing, thinking there still might be an infection somewhere.
I do have a password from the last registration, but when I try it, Avast says it's the wrong one. (Now, I allow it's possible that I've messed up while writting down the password and that it is indeed wrong, but I honestly don't think so.)

I've just tried to do the uninstall/reinstall of Avast (following very thorough instructions I've found here on the forum), but it won't allow me to uninstall in the first place - it's asking me for the password again (that same "Avast authorization" window appears).

I don't know what to do next by myself, if anything at all (except taking the laptop to a friend who's into IT to see if he can help). I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to this stuff, just an average home computer user.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:27:04 PM by mariana3 »

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: "Avast authorization" won't accept password?/can't uninstall (Avast Free)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
Restart your computer in safe mode and run the avastclear.exe to remove Avast then reinstall it. I cannot give a link but should be found in the Avast free, pro, suite section under the Avast program update 2014.9.0.2013 topic.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

mariana3

Re: "Avast authorization" won't accept password?/can't uninstall (Avast Free)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
I have already downloaded avastclear, found it in uninstall instructions. Thanks, will do this and report back with results.