Author Topic: Interesting occurance.  (Read 4773 times)

Captain Kuro

Interesting occurance.
« on: June 28, 2005, 07:04:27 AM »
Today I was searching Google for some information on falkag.net and whether it could try and put spyware on your computer. I typed in 'falkag.net spyware' in Google and got the usual results. I saw a link called "www.dynamoo.com/diary/falkag-net.htm" and clicked on the Cache link. However, instead Google seemingly tried to infect me with a trojan called W32.Mhtplo-27. Fortunately, Avast managed to catch it before it could download itself onto my computer, but I'm still curious because until today I have never gotten a trojan through Google or its services. I e-mailed Google Support about it and I tried to look for more information about this trojan, but I couldn't find any. Has this happened to anyone else?

MFB

Re: Interesting occurance.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 07:08:45 AM »
Not to me, but be glad that avast! detected it before it enters your PC.  ;D 

kamulko

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »
Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, I have experienced this 2 times; Google is only a search engine and don't filter the results, obviously. About Falkag, I made a search about it months ago and - effectively - it provide many advertising services very dangerous. Solution (I apply this to prevent Google ads and other features, because it's very privacy-stealer): traceroute Falkag server; your will find a range of IPs; now set your firewall for blocking this list of IP addresses and you never will have advertising and other junk by Falkag. Using Firefox, you can try AdBlock to prevent banners and ads.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 06:57:34 PM by Kamulko! »

budd512

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 07:26:46 PM »
Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, I have experienced this 2 times; Google is only a search engine and don't filter the results, obviously. About Falkag, I made a search about it months ago and - effectively - it provide many advertising services very dangerous. Solution (I apply this to prevent Google ads and other features, because it's very privacy-stealer): traceroute Falkag server; your will find a range of IPs; now set your firewall for blocking this list of IP addresses and you never will have advertising and other junk by Falkag. Using Firefox, you can try AdBlock to prevent banners and ads.

Yeah, any link on google is game for spyware, cuz google just tells you WHERE to get info. Can you use wildcards in firefox's cookie disabler like you're using in the AdBlock extension?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 09:04:45 PM »
Hi Kamulko,

To make things worse, read this:
http://www.searchenginescandal.com/302-nightmare.htm
This is even worse as we thought.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

kamulko

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 10:35:56 PM »
Yes, my Friend! :)
Your post here suggest to invite our forum friends to read also the article "Google Page Rank hijacked..." on our blog Gemproject