Author Topic: Boot Scan Made my PC Unbootable  (Read 2101 times)

REDACTED

Boot Scan Made my PC Unbootable
« on: February 23, 2017, 03:37:17 AM »
Yesterday I was doing Ethical Hacking coursework and was using some VM's inside VMware workstation when Avast detected a virus.  I thought it would be a good idea to do a boot scan since I hadn't done one in a while.  I ran the scan and noticed after a while that it was detecting all system files in the Windows folder as VBS Malware Gen and then deleted them all, rendering my computer useless.  Had to make a Win10 bootable flash drive to repair my PC.  Luckily that worked and everything is back to normal.  Is this related to this thread:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197572.0 ?

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
Re: Boot Scan Made my PC Unbootable
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:27:32 AM »
There was False positive issue yesterday that caused avast to flag lot of critical windows files and programs as malware when they are not.Stuff like this happens at times.Its fixed now no worries.

I am sorry to hear the trouble you had to get through.  :)

Best Regards From India.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
I have just downloaded the newest Avast, created a boot USB to scan at boot up.  It reported 1 file and I chose "Automatically Fix".  It then reported that it deleted 62,271 infected files and Windows 10 will not boot up anymore!!

Any ideas?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
Do as Jos did and repair your Windows installation.