Author Topic: Disable/uninstall Safe Price  (Read 149252 times)

REDACTED

Re: Disable/uninstall Safe Price
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »
Shame on your avast for installing this kind of crap on my computer without my approval!!

You should be disciplined huge NO-NO in the software industry..

REDACTED

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »
You know - I was wondering what all the fuss was about because I had never seen any adverts or anyting to upset me from Avast.  I then remembered that in all my browsers I have either AdBlock or AdBlock Plus or Adblock Edge installed and haven't seen an advert in my browser for many a moon.....

Maybe that's the answer and then you can forget all about it.

Cheers,
Paul

REDACTED

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 04:56:56 AM »
I can't for the life of me figure out how to disable or uninstall Safe Price. The two previous posts on the subject do not provide the answer. Please help me get rid of it before I have to get rid of Avast altogether.

OK, try this.  Type the following into your Firefox address bar:

chrome://wrc/content/options.html (hit Enter)

Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck  “SafePrice Receive SafePrice shopping recommendations on relevant sites.”  Then, click on the "Save" button.  Problem solved.

Just keep in mind that if Firefox or Avast "updates" their software, SafePrice might return ... requiring you to redo the procedure above.  Good luck.

REDACTED

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »

If you want to keep the Avast! Online Security add-on but kill the Safe Price
  • in Firefox, at the right extreme of the navigation toolbar in a window that is sitting on a web site (doesn't work at about:blank), click (not right+click, just a normal click) on the "avast! Online Security" icon (looks like a broken circle, but really is a stylized "a") and the AOS panel will appear over the right part of the web page.
  • At the bottom of that panel is a place you can click for "Settings". At that point, a separate tab should open and you should see "avast! avast! online security settings" screen.
  • At the very bottom of that screen (on my system, I have to scroll that page to the bottom) is "SafePrice Receive SafePrice shopping recommendations on relevant sites." In front of that you will see a checkmark. Click to uncheck that line,
  • then click on the "Save" button.
That should do it in Firefox until the cookie that AOS uses gets deleted.

Some time ago, I went to this page and removed the check from the SafePrice box and clicked saved.  I still have SafePrice showing on some, but not all, web pages.  I've restarted Firefox (and the computer) many times since then, cleared cookies, cleared cache, run anti-malware (SafePrice most definitely IS malware, IMO) and I'm still seeing this nuisance on some of my web pages.

I'm using FF 33.   I'm using avast! free and have updated the program every time an update is announced.

How can I get rid of this once and for all?  I'm tired of seeing this thing all the time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:08:40 PM by saintbernard »

REDACTED

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 12:16:01 AM »
I used the directions in the above post to (finally!) disable SafePrice. Avast -- disabling this add-on was way too difficult, and it should have been an opt-in, not an opt-out.

REDACTED

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
I see a lot of talk about how to disable this addon, but not a single reply about how to uninstall this spyware.

You are an antivirus company selling an antivirus and anti spyware product and yet you install addons on people's computer WITHOUT notifying them or asking permission first and yet you want people to use your product to stop anyone from installing addons and other malware without asking permission (something you just did).

On top of that, this is a product that STEALS commissions from hard working affiliates around the world.

I have been a very loyal Avast user for many MANY years and have recommended your product to clients for many MANY years, but that just ended today!

Since this addon just showed up today for the first time, I figured you have recently just done another push of this to people.

It's disgusting that a company claiming they are to be trusted does this and completely ruins the trust of it's users to install ANY THING without permission.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:05:36 AM by universal4 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
Easily removed via the Programs and Features route - click to uninstall then choose change on the following screen and untick any feature not wanted.

REDACTED

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
Safe Price is NOT an option to remove in that manner.

This is an add-on that was added WITHOUT PERMISSION and without asking first, and that is what the application is designed to stop.

So they can sit back and say:
Use our product to stop all unethical practices of others trying to install stuff without your knowledge....but we might do it.

Edited to add:
I also just discovered that one can not seize ownership nor add a user to the safeprice folder in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\safeprice (even after diabling avast protection while attempting it).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:42:14 AM by universal4 »

REDACTED

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2016, 10:01:59 AM »
One way (I am sure unsupported) to get rid of this is to go into safe mode and rename the folder C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\safeprice to something like safeprice.old.

Create a new folder called SafePrice
Remove inherited permissions
Remove all users from this folder so that neither admins nor the system can write to the folder
Delete the safeprice registry key located at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions

The extension will be gone and can not be reinstalled or enabled without first either adding users back to the folder which you removed permissions, or it would have to install into a folder named something different.

The above directions should only be used by those who understand the risks associated with tinkering in the registry, and you may want to back up the key before deleting it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2016, 01:31:29 PM »
I see a lot of talk about how to disable this addon, but not a single reply about how to uninstall this spyware.
First hit in Google showed me this : https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179019.msg1267259#msg1267259

You did gave permissions as has been explained a huge amount of times on this webboard.

It doesn't steal anything from no-one.

If the add-on showed up for the first time for you....
You are not a long time user because it was already there over 2 years ago or you have never paid attention to what you installed (at least not when installing/updating avast).

There is no need at all to rename/delete the folder in safe mode.
It can easily be done while in normal mode.

REDACTED

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »
I have been using Avast for many years, and have kept it updated and it only just showed up

And the folder would not let an admin account rename it even after authorizing it through UAC

And no, I was not asked if it was ok to install "safeprice" as I wold have said no

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »
- Disable avast self defense
- Rename (or delete) the folder
- Enable avast self defense again

REDACTED

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2016, 05:46:28 AM »
In my case that did not work, even after disabling shield control also, (not sure why) and going in to safe mode was the fastest and easiest way that all users could understand.

Deleting the folder allows for a re-install, but a folder existing by that name that the system does NOT have access to will always disable the ability for Avast to install it in the future, since the recent install was done without asking I can expect it could have happened again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2016, 10:22:47 AM »
I said to disable the self defense, not shield(s).
The method I described is a lot faster than going to safe mode.
No need to boot twice. (1x safe mode, 1x normal mode)
but a folder existing by that name that the system does NOT have access to will always disable the ability for Avast to install it in the future
You are absolutely wrong. It can always be (re)installed in that folder.
since the recent install was done without asking
That is because you did not do a custom installation

REDACTED

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 06:24:11 AM »
How can the system or avast install into a folder that the system does NOT have access to?

Without running attrib on the folder that is....

I had done a custom install and the safe price was installed later.....not sure why you have to keep denying the fact that I and others have seen this stuff come in without asking permission.