Author Topic: Reported Avast Issue With Specific Game  (Read 1604 times)

Undead-Divine-Assassin

Reported Avast Issue With Specific Game
« on: February 04, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »
There is an apparently very good, certainly exceptionally well reviewed and increasingly popular game that has been released recently called "Gone Home".  In researching the system specs I came across this on the home web site which might well be of interest to other gamers here :-

"We’ve discovered that Avast! Antivirus can cause problems with the game. If you’re seeing a crash immediately upon starting the game, please disable your antivirus entirely (“game mode” is not enough) and try again. As an alternative to disabling the software completely, you might also try the following: In Avast!, go to Settings -> Troubleshooting -> disable Hardware-Assisted Virtualization -> Reboot your machine."

It would be helpful if Avast looked into this problem too because AVs interfering with or preventing the running of any safe program is the sort of thing that annoys users a great deal.

As a matter of interest how, in circumstances like this, do you temporarily disable Avast entirely?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Reported Avast Issue With Specific Game
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
Right click the avast icon near the clock > shields control

The problem is however that they only mention avast and not the exact version(s) that it applies to.
If you read it, they can (so to speak) refer to version 1 while we now have version 2014.9.0.2013.
http://thefullbrightcompany.com/technical-support/
Looks to me they still have a lot of work to do.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

Re: Reported Avast Issue With Specific Game
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
It is a recently released game so I would guess they're refering at least to v.8. If others have trouble with the game they'll likely come here so we'll get more information. It could all be a storm in teacup but I thought it worth creating a thread just in case others do have difficulties. 

Thanks for the info on the disablement matter - useful.