Author Topic: I think i am going to give up  (Read 5359 times)

adkel

I think i am going to give up
« on: October 15, 2003, 03:30:43 AM »
Hi Guys

finally got my computer back, the guy couldnt save any of my information on my computer  :( :( he said the Swen virus caused major damage to the hard drive and he had to reformate the whole thing again more money. anyway have it back but explorer 6 keeps freezing when i open it up and do a search thats as far as it goes, why does it do this ??? also with some of the other programs it comes up with that box with illegal operation. man. plus when i was updating from windows updated it was half way through the update and the computer crashed, and i went in to view the updates and they had failed, so i did the scan to see if there was any updates to do and it said no, but how can that be when those updates failed. i think i am going mental. :-\ :-\

adkel

Hornus Continuum

Re:I think i am going to give up
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 07:07:21 AM »
Adkel,

What are the particulars of your system?  Did you build it or buy it off-the-shelf?  Was the repair tech independent or factory authorized?  How did he reinstall your operating system and/or applications, from installation disks or recovery disks?  Yours or his?

The reason I ask is that some OEM systems' recovery disks can only be used with the system they were shipped with, usually just the same model but sometimes the same system.  Also, some manufacturers have custom installations to deal with proprietary hardware, i.e., requiring custom drivers, and you must use the disks supplied with the computer.  Did he fail to install any updated drivers that you had installed yourself, chip set, video card, etc.?  Conversely, did he install updated drivers that you hadn't, drivers that may be incompatible?

Take it back to him, and If he screwed up, make him to the job right.  Insist that he credit you with the amount you've already paid.  If you used a credit card, make it clear that you will contact your credit card company and request a charge-back if he doesn't provide the service you paid for, to restore your computer to proper working order.

Regards,
Hornus
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 07:09:02 AM by Hornus Continuum »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »
As far as I know, Swen virus does not have any payload - i.e. it's rather improbable that it would cause any "major damage" to your data.
If the virus is simply deleted without fixing the corresponding registry entries, the operating system really gets damaged (no applications can be started anymore) - but of course, it is possible to fix without reformatting the drive.

I know - it won't help you much right now...  :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 05:38:14 AM »
Hi Guys

finally got my computer back, the guy couldnt save any of my information on my computer  :( :( he said the Swen virus caused major damage to the hard drive and he had to reformate the whole thing again more money. anyway have it back but explorer 6 keeps freezing when i open it up and do a search thats as far as it goes, why does it do this ??? also with some of the other programs it comes up with that box with illegal operation. man. plus when i was updating from windows updated it was half way through the update and the computer crashed, and i went in to view the updates and they had failed, so i did the scan to see if there was any updates to do and it said no, but how can that be when those updates failed. i think i am going mental. :-\ :-\

adkel

Were you using avast! (updated and residents enabled) when the infection started?  ::)
The best things in life are free.