Author Topic: Google Chrome install  (Read 14776 times)

Wildman

Google Chrome install
« on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »
 >:( Stop installing Google Chrome without my knowledge or permission! I do not want that browser on my machine!

Always,
Wildman

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Google Chrome install
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »
You should have seen at least one maybe two "opt-out" screens.
If not, it isn't that difficult to uninstall Chrome.
I do feel it should be "opt-in" and not "opt-out".

Since MicroSoft now owns Skype they have an "opt-out" to make msn(dot)com your homepage.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:01:42 PM »
avast is giving the option to install Chrome or not.
If it gets installed, you as user have chosen to do so.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »
You should have seen one of two screens (or even both) did you not see either of these ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Wildman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:25:48 PM »
 >:( Let me add to this. I uninstalled Google Chrome Used Revo uninstaller to do so and used the strongest option. The next day after Avast said it had been updated Google Chrome was back. Now this is totally unacceptable and I want it stopped. There was no warning nor opt in/out indicated. I am trying to be nice hear as over all I like Avast, but this situation has me quiet angry.

Always,
Wildman

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:47 PM »
With all due respect this was happening before.
Even though I use Chrome I can understand your feelings.
I thought it was fixed.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

thekochs

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 11:51:21 PM »
Also, Chrome is not "so easy" to uninstall "cleanly".....it leaves a lot of remnants.   :'(
One well known issue with Outlook you have to go do a manual registry edit.....only way to clean up.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:20:10 AM by thekochs »

Alievitan

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 12:11:22 AM »
Just curious are you using pro or free?  The software updater might be interfering if you are using pro.  IF you are using free, I would only install the shields, all the tools are in free version are of questionable utility or you have to pay to use. 

Wildman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 05:14:20 AM »
I am using the FREE version. CCleaner indicates no left overs in the registry for Google Chrome after I uninstalled in with Revo. We shall see if it gets placed back on my machine. If so I may see if there is an agency that I can file a formal complaint with. Yes this is how angry I am about this.

Always,
Wildman

thekochs

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 05:41:47 PM »
I am using the FREE version. CCleaner indicates no left overs in the registry for Google Chrome after I uninstalled in with Revo. We shall see if it gets placed back on my machine. If so I may see if there is an agency that I can file a formal complaint with. Yes this is how angry I am about this.

Always,
Wildman

I use CCLeaner and not that simple.....especially if you use Outlook. :(
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/cant-open-hyperlinks-after-uninstalling-google/e6d33ac6-6b4b-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »
Just curious are you using pro or free?  The software updater might be interfering if you are using pro.  IF you are using free, I would only install the shields, all the tools are in free version are of questionable utility or you have to pay to use.
The software updater should not interfere with anything.
None of the tools in the free version should cause any issues at all.
The only thing that might cause problems is the Grime Fighter which is a paid product.

Wildman

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
The software updater should not interfere with anything.
The only thing that might cause problems is the Grime Fighter which is a paid product.

Then why do I get Chrome installed right after the virus definitions have been down loaded? I don't want to be rude but I don't think you know what you are talking about. I would like to see someone from Avast answer this situation but don't hold my breath that it will happen.

Always,
Wildman

Davy

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
I have seen Chrome installed without warning - IT DOES HAPPEN if it didn't 'I' and no doubt many others wouldn't be saying so, same with Jumpshot Grime that Avast purchased.

There's one or two folks here that inflame situations by saying it doesn't and high time these 'fanboys' call them what you will, got of their Trojan Horse and comprehend what is being said.

It's high time there was some explanation about the VPN/advert pop-ups call it what you will and these unwanted installs from Avast themselves.... it looks like there's not only Avast ruling the roost but Jumpshot and Google!

Who is in control and what they hell are they up to, Avast never used to be like this bugs, warts and all?

Davy

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
This is a new one for me...vps update "and" a Chrome install?  ???
This is very, very odd.  ???

Use this and make the proper choice https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit

thekochs

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 02:23:52 AM »

I would add that "Browser Protection"....AKA AOS is problematic and should not be part of install.

IHMO...again, just my opinion.....I'd only install the shields until the "Tools" prove themselves.
Perhaps one PC also install Rescue disk to be able to generate it when needed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:36:25 AM by thekochs »