Author Topic: Google Chrome install  (Read 14772 times)

Wildman

Re: Google Chrome install
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
I did find an option that says to not make Chrome my default browser. I have now checked that option and we will see what the results of doing so are.

I hope the powers to be at Avast are getting the picture that a whole bunch of their users do not like the situation of this Google Chrome showing up without a clear choice for an opt out or better still not pushing a browser in the first place.

Always,
Wildman

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 08:37:16 PM »
@ thekochs  It is very wise to always choose the custom install if offered.
                    That said not everyone has issues with the AOS. For those for
                    whom it functions properly, good. For the others it's a simple task
                    to disable the AOS in their browsers.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

thekochs

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
@ thekochs  It is very wise to always choose the custom install if offered.
                    That said not everyone has issues with the AOS. For those for
                    whom it functions properly, good. For the others it's a simple task
                    to disable the AOS in their browsers.  :)

Good point on AOS......

sepulchre

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
When I updated the program just now it said I needed to restart my computer. So I did. Then it came up and said, "Installing Update." There was nothing else on that window, no "check here if you want...", nothing. It just installed Chrome without as much as a "By Your Leave." So don't be saying that you always have the choice because you Don't!

I like Avast. I find it appalling that they would link themselves to Google which spreads your info all over the net. Google is practically a virus itself, and it's Certainly adware.

So, if Avast can't stop putting that crap on my machine I Will find something else, as much as I hate to.

Wildman

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
Thank you all who have told it like it is. So far so good after checking the option to not make Chrome my default browser. Hell I don't even want any part of it on my machine. I do not like any situation where I can not pick to install or not install the software and try and avoid companies who do not grasp that.

Always,
Wildman

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »
Wildman after uninstalling Chrome you'll have to do a manual search through your program files, program data files and user files to remove remnants of Google Chrome, google leaves quite a few leftovers including the Google Update process which will be the likely cause of it being re-installed, I've seen this happen with Google Earth as well.

Google are the ones who don't want you to remove their products and it is not an avast conspiracy pushing the reinstall.

A manual registry search will reveal many more google remnants but if you are unsure in the registry best not venture there.

thekochs

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:50 PM »
Check your system scheduler for Google Updater too.

jones1881

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
Just happened to me as well after years of using Avast. This seems to be a long term problem I had somehow avoided until now.
I am sorry but I will not abide any software that installs unauthorized programs on it's own.
Sadly Avast and I are parting ways after many many years.

J.Stalin

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
It is totally unacceptable to bundle Google updater with an AV program. Google updater should trigger the highest alert in any AV. And why don't it? Money  ::)

thekochs

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »
I personally hate Google Chrome (yet my kids have ChromeBooks from school.....go figure).
While there is no "conspiracy" you can see Avast 2014 user account has Google Drive....so there is a link clearly....but I'd expect that...after all Avast defaults to a "opt in" during install. With that said you should see an opt out option during the Avast 2014 install but regardless if Chrome gets on your PC then it is not a simple program to just "un-install" as CraigB states. Chrome installer is very invasive and IMHO right up there with A/V software and also iTunes.
So, you need to do your diligence in cleaning after a uninstall of Chrome.
The Chrome remnants DO cause issues with other programs still on your PC that you may use....one great example is MS Outlook.
Here is Microsoft KB link on that very issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049
Here is Google Forum link on that very issue: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/z2u-Ef_Xrss
.....but the point/discussion (topic) is how to remove Chrome completely
.....here is good link: http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/432-clean-up-google-chrome-remnants-after-an-uninstall

Here is also a link on Google Updater un-installation: https://support.google.com/installer/answer/98805?hl=en
To fully uninstall Google Update, uninstall any Google applications you currently have installed. Approximately an hour after uninstalling your other Google programs, Google Update should be uninstalled automatically.
You can believe them but also look in your Windows Scheduler and MSConfig for Google Updater after uninstallation/cleaning and delete/disable.  Good thorough write-up is here: http://antivirus.about.com/od/windowsbasics/ht/googleupdate.htm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:01:15 AM by thekochs »

J.Stalin

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »
Yes, Google software is made almost impossible to get rid of, it reinstalls itself, it screws up other software on the pc and it collects information. All the typical characteristics of malware. And this is bundled with Avast  ::)

Zazazu

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »
Well, that's it for me and Avast. Second time this program has installed Google Chrome with no option to opt out. Installing another program without giving the user choice is the action of malware, not an antivirus program.

Deplorable.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
Zazazu,

let me guess... You haven't disabled "use Chrome as default browser".
That means you did have chosen to install Chrome yourself.

- disabled "use Chrome as default browser".
- remove Chrome completely.
- reboot.

thekochs

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 11:51:13 PM »
You haven't disabled "use Chrome as default browser".

Zazazu, just in case you want to know where to set IE as default browser
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-11-win-7

Also, "Avast" is not re-installing Chrome....."Chrome" is since it was loaded/installed once.
As many of the posts above show you need to "remove" thoroughly (which means more than just uninstall) and also as Eddy stated make sure you set another browser as default.

No argument from me on how much a PITA this is for missing a "opt in" default but just trying to help at this point.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:02:40 AM by thekochs »

Zazazu

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »
Zazazu,

let me guess... You haven't disabled "use Chrome as default browser".
That means you did have chosen to install Chrome yourself.
That means I would have had to go into the program, before having Chrome on my machine, magically knowing that an option had been added, and disabled it so that it wouldn't install Chrome. Which I did not have before and had no option, in two cases, to opt out of. How does that make logical sense? I did see the option after the second update that put Chrome on my machine, but by that time it had already installed Chrome.

Quote from: thekochs
Zazazu, just in case you want to know where to set IE as default browser
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-11-win-7

Also, "Avast" is not re-installing Chrome....."Chrome" is since it was loaded/installed once.
As many of the posts above show you need to "remove" thoroughly (which means more than just uninstall) and also as Eddy stated make sure you set another browser as default.
I have Firefox as my default browser. Or at least I did, until Avast downloaded Chrome without my permission and reset it as default. I had to uninstall Chrome and reset my default browser.

I'm not a computer novice. Nor am I an expert, of course, but I do understand a good deal about settings, coding, and how installation programs work. Previous to this latest attempt at giving me Chrome, I did not have Chrome on my system. The only Google item I had was the standard cookie. Now that I've uninstalled (yes, thoroughly), I've returned to that state. I never installed or loaded Chrome. I do not want Chrome. I have never wanted Chrome. The only instances where Chrome has been added to my system were due to Avast and I have fully uninstalled Chrome twice now due to their ignoring basic protocols regarding third-party program installation.

Quote from: thekochs
No argument from me on how much a PITA this is for missing a "opt in" default but just trying to help at this point.
I don't count this as an opt-in default. For it to be an opt-anything there needs to be an option to opt-out. There was no option given before download/install. Twice. This happened in July 2012 and people threw a fit. Apparently they decided to try again.  That's why I'm done with Avast! after several years of use. This was the third strike with me.

I've already uninstalled and have gotten a new antivirus program. I filled out the survey on uninstall to let the mucky-mucks (if they even read those surveys) know why I'm done. Will probably not post again, not to flounce, but because I no longer have any interest in the program.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:07:20 PM by Zazazu »