Author Topic: How to permanently disable Avast popup advertisement spam?  (Read 16443 times)

Tarantula

Re: How to permanently disable Avast popup advertisement spam?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
That's pretty sad. :( Then asking why people use pirated versions of the software is illogical.
Why is it illogical ??? not only is it theft and against the law to use pirated software but if ads are added into the paid versions then you are going to receive the same ads with a pirated version as well ::) plus with running a pirated version you are risking having your AV disabled and leaving you with no protection whatsoever.
Do you even read? I'm talking about the "seasonal sale" on the main UI panel. I can very easily block it with firewall, but that's not the question here. I liked Avast very much in the past. Why must all good things be ruined these days? Money? How much money can buy people's trust? 1 billion? 2? 100?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »
That's pretty sad. :( Then asking why people use pirated versions of the software is illogical.
Why is it illogical ??? not only is it theft and against the law to use pirated software but if ads are added into the paid versions then you are going to receive the same ads with a pirated version as well ::) plus with running a pirated version you are risking having your AV disabled and leaving you with no protection whatsoever.
Do you even read? I'm talking about the "seasonal sale" on the main UI panel. I can very easily block it with firewall, but that's not the question here. I liked Avast very much in the past. Why must all good things be ruined these days? Money? How much money can buy people's trust? 1 billion? 2? 100?
I read and understand all to well that if the dishonest slime balls who are using cracked software were to actually pay for what they have then a lot of software might not be quite as expensive, companies have to make money and losses through theft only end up hitting the pockets of consumers.

Tarantula

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »
I read and understand all to well that if the dishonest slime balls who are using cracked software were to actually pay for what they have then a lot of software might not be quite as expensive, companies have to make money and losses through theft only end up hitting the pockets of consumers.
What about the people who can't afford to pay for license? Should they be punished with spam, cause they are poor?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
What about the people who can't afford to pay for license? Should they be punished with spam, cause they are poor?
If they cant afford or don't want to pay then that's what the free version is for, as already mentioned if the paid version gets ad's then a pirated version wont stop ads and I hardly call the few popup ads that we receive in the free version as spam and their to be expected for using a free version.

And the seasonal sale in the UI is not spam, spam is thrown in your face screen hoggin ads which the UI is not, plus you don't have to look at it do you ::)

And on top of that - if these people were so poor then how did they afford a computer ???
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:37:35 PM by craigb »

Tarantula

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
If they cant afford or don't want to pay then that's what the free version is for, as already mentioned if the paid version gets ad's then a pirated version wont stop ads and I hardly call the few popup ads that we receive in the free version as spam and their to be expected for using a free version.

And the seasonal sale in the UI is not spam, spam is thrown in your face screen hoggin ads which the UI is not, plus you don't have to look at it do you ::)

If they can't afford it, the seasonal sale won't work either. And again, I'm not talking about any popup ads here.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »

If they can't afford it, the seasonal sale won't work either. And again, I'm not talking about any popup ads here.
And how do you expect avast to know which ones cant afford for it to not be shown ??? it's shown to everyone.

You cant just keep twisting things to suit you own view, the simple answer is if you don't like it then don't use it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:44:26 PM by craigb »

Tarantula

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »

And how do you expect avast to know which ones cant afford for it to not be shown ??? it's shown to everyone.

You cant just keep twisting things to suit you own view, the simple answer is if you don't like it then don't use it.

Because there are trial version for those who can afford it. See? As simple as that.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »
Because there are trial version for those who can afford it. See? As simple as that.
Trial versions are for everyone, if they don't like or cant afford then use the free and if they don't want the free then go elsewhere.

Using pirated software is illegal and that all there is to it.

Tarantula

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »
Trial versions are for everyone, if they don't like or cant afford then use the free and if they don't want the free then go elsewhere.

Using pirated software is illegal and that all there is to it.
But this makes no sense. Trial versions are made for people to test commercial software, and then buy if satisfied. Why should I test free version if it's far from similar to the paid one? How can I decide to buy the paid version after using the free version? Do you think that a nagging screen can make me buy it? It only can start a threads like this one.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »
But this makes no sense. Trial versions are made for people to test commercial software, and then buy if satisfied. Why should I test free version if it's far from similar to the paid one? How can I decide to buy the paid version after using the free version? Do you think that a nagging screen can make me buy it? It only can start a threads like this one.
The protection offered by the free version is the same as the paid other than a few extra added features.

It's obvious the ad for "paid" placed in the free version must bring in revenue as avast would have the details on where customers are purchasing through, if it didn't work then it wouldn't be there would it.

Like I said you don't have to look at the UI ad, what's the point in sitting there staring at the UI - you open the UI and do what you have to do ( adjust settings, check virus chest, etc ) then close it, if the ad placed in the UI bothers you that much you are quite welcome to use something else but don't expect people to condone the use of pirated avast licenses simply because you don't like an ad.

blove

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
I have no idea what you two guys are hijacking my thread about...

I am fine with an email or banner ads in the user interface to push products (although...Avast did use an emergency update to push the seasonal sale, naughty).   But, popups are not fine and neither is telling a customer to turn off all notifications to "disable" them.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 07:58:33 PM »
I have no idea what you two guys are hijacking my thread about...
Sorry about that but if you were to go back a page and read you would see Tarantula was trying to condone to use of pirated versions to escape ads in the free version, frankly speaking I think users with this sort of agenda should be banned outright.

qda

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 08:00:18 PM »

Now can we get back to complaining about the spam notifications?

iroc9555

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
if you go back Para-Noid and myself answered your question. These adverts piggy-backing the regular vps alerts are a nuisance. Some of us have it others like essexboy have never suffered them, and yes you are right when you said that turning off notifications is not the solution; However, there is no official word from avast! why this is happening.

blove

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 10:56:13 PM »
I think we are both missing your answer.   Perhaps you can repost it?

Please understand that we are commercial company and the advertisements is one of the method how to succeed on the market. We're glad that you paid for the better version of our antivirus after using the free version for so many years. But please understand that you did not pay for a version without any advertisements, but for version that provides more security.

The senior technical support supervisor is quite clear and official about why this is happening.   There is no piggy-back issue.   The spam is intentional.