Author Topic: Intrusive Avast Checkmarks  (Read 3808 times)

fesignups

Intrusive Avast Checkmarks
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »
Is there a way to hide Avast's checkmarks on safe websites? It's a PITA from a readability standpoint. Ideally, you would only see Avast icons on unsafe websites. It is the purpose of it anyway, isn't it?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Intrusive Avast Checkmarks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
You can right click your browsers toolbar and disable Browser Protection - AOS ( Avast Online Security )

fesignups

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
Hey Craig,

As an act of desperation, I've disabled the add-on in Firefox. I'm sick of it TBH. I've been running it for months and Googling remedies for just as long. The thing is though, I want the protection but I don't want it on the web page when it's deemed as safe. That's the remedy I'm looking for. I think it's worth mentioning that since I've started using Avast, 6+ months, I've only encountered one website blocked by Avast for being unsafe.

Why does Avast maintain that all these checkmarks belong when it's a safe website?

_fe

fesignups

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »
Safe link would be more accurate. Display an icon on the link when it's unsafe and display nothing when it is safe.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »
I don't have any explanation why it is like it is but I also don't use the plugin as it breaks the functionality of some webpages for me.

You are still safe to browse without the plugin as the basis of protection while browsing is provided by the web shield, you can also fully remove the feature via the change function Programs and Features.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »
If you do as craigb stated untick the "browser protection".
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
Safe link would be more accurate. Display an icon on the link when it's unsafe and display nothing when it is safe.

Presumably these links (which have the check mark) in your example images are for third party sites and not local/internal domain links ?

As far as I'm aware avast doesn't place these check marks if the link is internal to that domain name. I appreciate that it would be preferable to only place check marks for unsafe sites. But I suspect that would cause some confusion as most searches (and internal pages) wouldn't have any check marks, some users may wonder if the function is working or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security