Author Topic: How do I get rid of this new avast addition?  (Read 1771 times)

blahblah00

How do I get rid of this new avast addition?
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »
I'm not sure what the addition is called; but it was added a few months ago and since then my browsing experience has been horrible. It's a new browser addition at the top right corner. It's a little green avast "a" and when you click on it, it says "this site is safe" and then underneath tells you if companies tried to track you; blocked social networks, blocked ad tracking and so on.

Since this thing has been added to my browser it freezes every page I click on (except on the avast website) for about 5 seconds, sometimes it could be as long as a minute before it loads the page. I've endured this for months and i'm really fed up of it. I'm using firefox and I like using firefox. It's not been added to the other browsers on my laptop, but I hardly ever use those browsers because they are so slow; but now those slow browsers are actually faster than firefox because they don't have this add-on. I looked on firefox add-on but it doesn't show anything has been added by avast. I looked in added programs, there's nothing there added by avast, except the original installed anti-virus. I've clicked on the avast anti-virus from my start menu and looked through all the options and there's no option available to disable or delete this horrible little thing. I can't even load more than a single page at a time because the whole browser just freezes with every single page that I load and becomes completely unresponsive. I know i'm clearly missing something because there has to be a way to get rid of it; please help.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Re: How do I get rid of this new avast addition?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
In Firefox go to Tools/Add-ons and disable Avast Online Security add-on.
Instead of AOS you can use Ghostery,PrivDog or Adblock Plus with EasyPrivacy filter list.
Also,I recommend WOT add-on.