Author Topic: I've got Avast; should I get Malwarebtes too?  (Read 29999 times)

SeeWhy

I've got Avast; should I get Malwarebtes too?
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Hi everyone

I've seen on a few places online that Malwarebytes is a good program to have as well as Avast (I've got All-Inclusive). Is it really necessary to have both? I'm not really sure what MWB would do that Avast doesn't.

Thanks!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: I've got Avast; should I get Malwarebtes too?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
No security program have 100% detection. MBAM is designed to be a extra layer of protection to your antivirus

Also recomended is MCShield usb protector   www.mcshield.net

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:02:23 AM by Pondus »

SeeWhy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »
Wow, three programs? I'll take your word for it, thanks for the tip.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
If you check any malware removal help forum like geeks to go / bleepingcomputer....
You will see that malwarebytes is often the first tool they run

MCShield protect against malware that spread by removable device, there are many tools like this but they usually just disable autorun and leave the malware there.....mcshield will clean your usb device

Just surf the viruses and worms forum section here and see...

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
SeeWhy see my sig below as I have Avast side by side with Malwarebytes and MCShield with no issue or problems at all ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

thekochs

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
Totally agree......MBAM "Pro" (paid version, only $24 lifetime charge) I run side-side with Avast.....so both active shields.
To the point above I HAVE had both shields catch different things.....so it proves the point of having both to me.
I also run a scheduled scan each night from both........at different times.....while I am asleep.
I have not installed McShield but have seen the suggestion and doing some reading: http://www.mcshield.net/

The last item I have done.....and suggested by others is CryptoPrevent: http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/
It is more of a run-once util that changes your group policies to prevent the CryptoLock "ransomware" programs....which frankly scare me more than A/V or Malware.  Avast thread on the subject: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141429.msg1028176#msg1028176
I'll warn you if you read the thread's and links posted within it'll scare the stew out of you.  :o
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:20:37 PM by thekochs »

ragweed

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 05:18:25 AM »
I had Avast Free but didn't have PUPS enabled but, I do now. Had Mbam free also. I got some really nasty browser Hijacker. It displayed itself as " fat2meat.com gsearch " Mbam full scan didn't even notice it at all. I had to do a complete reinstall. Adwcleaner & JRT failed to catch it as well! It was really nasty & I don't even know how I got it.!

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 06:59:14 AM »
Hello SeeWhy,

You can also use SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition along with MalwareBytes' Antimalware + Avast Free Edition. I have all of these programs in my laptop and in my desktop. All these 3 program works great and awesome :).

P.S.: It is recommended to do a once in every week a full system scan of your entire computer/laptop.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:04:47 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

thekochs

Avast/MBAM/Superantispyware
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 04:27:18 PM »
Hello SeeWhy,

You can also use SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition along with MalwareBytes' Antimalware + Avast Free Edition. I have all of these programs in my laptop and in my desktop. All these 3 program works great and awesome :).

P.S.: It is recommended to do a once in every week a full system scan of your entire computer/laptop.

OK.....so from my signature I am using Avast8 + MBAM Pro (active) + CryptoPrevent + CCleaner.
CryptoPrevent was run once to change the policies
CCLeaner I use daily to remove temp files, etc.
Only Avast8 & MBAM Pro are active protection products on my PC.
I'm looking at SuperAntispyware Free: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html and what I see is somthing like the MBAM Free where you run it manually.....am I correct that like the MBAM Free I would manually update the database, run manual scan, etc. from time to time ?  I actually like this scenario because really don't want a third "active' AV/MW program on my PC.

Thx.

AdrianH

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
Simply set MBam Pro to NOT start with Windows, so it does not run as resident protection.

Your updates will still be automatic.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
.am I correct that like the MBAM Free I would manually update the database, run manual scan, etc. from time to time ? 
yes....

or if you buy the one time for life license, you can turn off realtime protection but still have the autoupdate as i did when using it

however SAS never found anything that Malwarebytes did not find, exept tracking cookies that MBAM does not target...so i just dropped it

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:44:01 PM by Pondus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
Simply set MBam Pro to NOT start with Windows, so it does not run as resident protection.
why .... MBAM pro does not conflict with avast..... or any other AV i have run it with
it is designed to run with your AV

thekochs

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »
I think I was not clear......I run Avast8 Free & have bought MBAM Pro and run both active.......they work great.
My question is do I bother using the SuperAntispyware Free and run/update is manually from time to time ?
My assumption/reference to MBAM Free was that SuperAntispyware Free runs like you would with MBAM Free..ie. manual update and scans......since I would not plan to buy the SuperAntispyware Pro version.

I really don't want a third program/scanner on my PC, SuperAntispyware Free, but was wondering if it covers things MBAM Pro does not ?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:42:59 PM by thekochs »

AdrianH

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
why .... MBAM pro does not conflict with avast..... or any other AV i have run it with
it is designed to run with your AV

OP >>>>
nd what I see is somthing like the MBAM Free where you run it manually.....am I correct that like the MBAM Free I would manually update the database, run manual scan, etc. from time to time ?  I actually like this scenario because really don't want a third "active' AV/MW program on my PC. 

Why did you do this on your system and give this answer ?  What is the difference?

yes....or if you buy the one time for life license, you can turn off realtime protection but still have the autoupdate as i did when using it
however SAS never found anything that Malwarebytes did not find, exept tracking cookies that MBAM does not target...so i just dropped it

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
Why did you do this on your system and give this answer ?  What is the difference?
since i run AV + MBAM pro i turned off SAS realtime protection.... (SAS pro) so i still got the auto signature and program updates

as i said above, it never found anything malwarebytes did not find so i dont use it anymore....