Author Topic: I've got Avast; should I get Malwarebtes too?  (Read 29994 times)

Offline Tangy

Re: I've got Avast; should I get Malwarebtes too?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »
@ thekochs : Thank you for being so kind.

My OS in Brazilian Portuguese. Hard to get an OS in English down here, some times the natives give thumps down to really good and functional software just because there is no version in local language.
Instead of  " I guess I can't do without Cryptoprevent even though I quite like the concept. " you see typing is not my forte What I was tying to say was " I guess I can do without Cryptoprevent even though I quite like the concept " but yeah why not if it can be done I'll be more than  :)
Thanks !

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:22:34 PM by Tangy »
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Randissimo

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »
Some compatibility issues might be resolved if you change system locale:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-system-locale#1TC=windows-7
You can give it a try. 

edit: you could also try to change everything (date, time, etc.) in English format first, restart and then test whether it helps or not.
However, even if you don't get it to work, It isn't a major problem, because imho, having a good (image) backup strategy is more important than having to run different tools to create a thick active protection layer.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:01:57 AM by Randissimo »

Offline Tangy

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 02:41:04 AM »
@Randissimo : Thank you so much for your trouble !

I absolutely agree with your last statement :

" However, even if you don't get it to work, It isn't a major problem, because imho, having a good (image) backup strategy is more important than having to run different tools to create a thick active protection layer. "

I have a question though. Which firewall would you install ? Comodo 5.12 or Private firewall 9.0.333.0 ? That is the last software  that I would like to install or of course if you have something else to recommend. Do you guys think that it is a must  or should I give it a miss and keep using winxp firewall.

Win XP SP3 Pro Ram 4GB CPU 2.81 GHz HD 500 GB  video card 500 MB
Avast 8 free

Windows defender

SpywareBlaster

MalwareBytes Free

SuperAntispyware Free

MalwareBytes Anti-eploit

McShield

KeyScrambler

Any suggestions anyone !

Thanks in advance

OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Randissimo

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 11:03:38 AM »
First of all: You only need an Anti-Virus, up-to-date programs/Windows and an advertising blocker for the minimum active protection imho.

Secondly: You're better of switching to Windows 7/8.1, as the support for Windows XP will end in less than 2 months.

Thirdly: any third party firewall can make problems and I don't remember Windows XP being a stable OS compared to Windows 7 or 8.

Fourthly: the Windows firewall is enough protection against incoming intruders, actually the integrated firewall in the router does the main part already and it's more important to have the firmware version of it upgraded than to have a third party FW with optional protection.

Fifthly: I can't say anything about Private Firewall, because I've never used it, so I would suggest you make an image backup first and try it out for yourself. Though, if you want to use Comodo in the future, I'd get used to the latest version since the program version 6 is still being updated and there have been many improvements compared to version 5.

Paul_D

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
Disclaimer. I haven't read all 5 pages, so this suggestion may have already been offered.

On any installation, the first security I install is Avast. The second, which I believe is most important is SpywareBlaster: https://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html. Update about once a week and Enable All Protection. Doesn't need to run in background. If this is kept up to date the odds are that the others will have less to find when scanning.

Then another anti-malware. I have been using Emsisoft, but my subscription is about to run out, so I will be switching to paid Malwarebytes, which is a one-off lifetime payment, and in my opinion a good investment, with one caveat. Malwarebytes is very (overly?) aggressive re PUPs. You do need to consider whether all the PUPs it offers to remove are actually unwanted.

I also have SAS Pro, but don't run it in background. But it's still useful as a manual scanner

Thanks to this thread, I shall also be installing CryptoPrevent
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:03:09 PM by Paul_D »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »
so I will be switching to paid Malwarebytes, which is a one-off lifetime payment,
then you better hurry.   https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=141268

With the launch of 2.0, we'll also be moving to a subscription licensing model, $24.95 per year. As more and more people have come to rely on us for malware protection and cleanup, our costs in bandwidth, hosting fees, infrastructure, salaries of our researchers, QA department, and more have grown immensely. Though our company is about more than just making money, we are a company and we do have to make money to pay our staff to continue doing what they love, which is fighting malware. The subscription model will help us to be sustainable for the future while staying true to our roots that we will always make malware cleanup free for everyone.

Paul_D

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »
Wednesday, February 12th, 2014 @ 9:2 AM, [GMT-0800], Day of year = 43

Also, to keep things clean, i use Registry Clean Expert, CCleaner, and Piriform Defraggler. I do a full avast scan daily, and scan & clean my registry weekly, and do a backup.

Why? Registry Cleaners are snake oil which achieve nothing. And why another program? If you really MUST do it, the one in CCleaner is probably the safest one around.

Paul_D

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »
so I will be switching to paid Malwarebytes, which is a one-off lifetime payment,
then you better hurry.   https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=141268

With the launch of 2.0, we'll also be moving to a subscription licensing model, $24.95 per year. As more and more people have come to rely on us for malware protection and cleanup, our costs in bandwidth, hosting fees, infrastructure, salaries of our researchers, QA department, and more have grown immensely. Though our company is about more than just making money, we are a company and we do have to make money to pay our staff to continue doing what they love, which is fighting malware. The subscription model will help us to be sustainable for the future while staying true to our roots that we will always make malware cleanup free for everyone.
Thanks for the heads-up. I note they will honour existing lifetime licences. Heading there now.

Paul_D

Re: Avast/MBAM/Superantispyware
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2014, 06:39:17 PM »
MBAM PRO and FREE has the similar functions, but different in design. PRO version has features that the FREE doesn't have such as automatic updates for malware definitions and program updates, real time protection, automatic scheduler for scans, anti-phising and identity protection, and etc. For me I don't want the risk of running two active antimalware protection. I always run only 1 active antimalware protection and that is Avast and avoid running 2 active malware protection and causing conflicts with one another and causing all sorts of issues on your computer.
That statement needs clarification.

Specifically are you running Avast Free or Avast Pro? If Free, your statement is totally and utterly wrong.