Author Topic: This is [Resolved]  (Read 19326 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: This is
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 07:35:35 AM »
Their are plenty of other browsers I can use besides IE.
so what.... who cares what browser you use

why do we need to know what problems you have?
if you want help, follow the advice/suggestions given.....if not, keep it to yourselfe

It's not help, it's attention that appears to be sought here.
yea...i think you are right..... she need to get a Facebook account

I have a Facebook account.
What's odd is that, on the one hand, submitting logs for diagnostics will mean, for her. some user privacy is lost, but, on the other hand, running so many add-ons on Firefox will mean that her user's privacy is already out the open barn door.  Not submitting these logs will mean that the second and more important issue cannot/will not be addressed, and that she seems not to understand the difference between the two, and why submitting the logs for analysis is so important. 

Facebook, for example, is nothing but a data-mining operation run for profit for those who run it, and this is important, it is thus is under their control.  And, once something is posted on Facebook, it is potentially released, so to speak, out into the wild for anyone savvy enough to get around the so-called privacy safeguards that Facebook chooses to put in place.  That potential for lost privacy is always there just because of the way Facebook is set up and run.

I've read the entire thread, and have to agree with others here.  If it is privacy you want, then don't run add-ons that can compromise that.  If you've got a repeated pop-up from avast!, especially when you do not have a browser open, then you've got an infected system, and only submitting the logs will get you back to where you should be.

It's either that, or restoring your system back to factory specifications, if you ever want your system to be clean again.  Submitting the requested logs is the lesser of the two evils as going back to original factory settings will mean that you will have to download all 100's of Microsoft security updates, reinstall all your programs, etc.,...  I've known some home users that have had to take up to three consecutive days to get things back to the way they were before an infection occurred.  Sure, restoring your system as it was when brand new will get rid of the original infection, but it will also cost you time.  Please see the caution I've posted below.

Don't ever treat an alert from avast! as annoying.  It is not.  It's why you have it installed and running in the first place.

At least avast! is doing the job it is supposed to do, alerting you of an issue and infection you may have caused through installing a rogue and malicious add-on.  That add-on would not be there unless you put it there; the likelihood of that being true in this case is high.

I've cautioned you several times not to install and run something on your system just because you can; that will most certainly lead you to an infected system in the future.  It is said that the user is the most important defense mechanism against all malware, known and unknown.  The system controlled by an user who does not truly know what they are doing only weakens that defense, and no a/v program present in the world can protect such a user against all malware when this is true.

You are asking for disaster and eventually an inoperable and an unusable computer if you continue doing what you have been doing.  Please stop doing that.  Instead, be strong and be smart.  As polonus always says, be safe(r).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:44:46 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »
so what.... who cares what browser you use

why do we need to know what problems you have?
if you want help, follow the advice/suggestions given.....if not, keep it to yourselfe

It's not help, it's attention that appears to be sought here.
yea...i think you are right..... she need to get a Facebook account

I have a Facebook account.
What's odd is that, on the one hand, submitting logs for diagnostics will mean, for her. some user privacy is lost, but, on the other hand, running so many add-ons on Firefox will mean that her user's privacy is already out the open barn door.  Not submitting these logs will mean that the second and more important issue cannot/will not be addressed, and that she seems not to understand the difference between the two, and why submitting the logs for analysis is so important. 

Facebook, for example, is nothing but a data-mining operation run for profit for those who run it, and this is important, it is thus is under their control.  And, once something is posted on Facebook, it is potentially released, so to speak, out into the wild for anyone savvy enough to get around the so-called privacy safeguards that Facebook chooses to put in place.  That potential for lost privacy is always there just because of the way Facebook is set up and run.

I've read the entire thread, and have to agree with others here.  If it is privacy you want, then don't run add-ons that can compromise that.  If you've got a repeated pop-up from avast!, especially when you do not have a browser open, then you've got an infected system, and only submitting the logs will get you back to where you should be.

It's either that, or restoring your system back to factory specifications, if you ever want your system to be clean again.  Submitting the requested logs is the lesser of the two evils as going back to original factory settings will mean that you will have to download all 100's of Microsoft security updates, reinstall all your programs, etc.,...  I've known some home users that have had to take up to three consecutive days to get things back to the way they were before an infection occurred.  Sure, restoring your system as it was when brand new will get rid of the original infection, but it will also cost you time.  Please see the caution I've posted below.

Don't ever treat an alert from avast! as annoying.  It is not.  It's why you have it installed and running in the first place.

At least avast! is doing the job it is supposed to do, alerting you of an issue and infection you may have caused through installing a rogue and malicious add-on.  That add-on would not be there unless you put it there; the likelihood of that being true in this case is high.

I've cautioned you several times not to install and run something on your system just because you can; that will most certainly lead you to an infected system in the future.  It is said that the user is the most important defense mechanism against all malware, known and unknown.  The system controlled by an user who does not truly know what they are doing only weakens that defense, and no a/v program present in the world can protect such a user against all malware when this is true.

You are asking for disaster and eventually an inoperable and an unusable computer if you continue doing what you have been doing.  Please stop doing that.  Instead, be strong and be smart.  As polonus always says, be safe(r).

The first popup showed " Webshield blocked a harmful webpage or file."  I didn't get any of the red popups showing threat detected. I uninstalled Firefox, no more popups, later reinstalled Firefox with fewer extensions, still no popups. I haven't installed any new programs. I am very careful about what I click on.  I have had Facebook since 2009.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »
Most people post here asking for help or advice, if your not looking for either then your practically calling out wolf when there isnt one.

::)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:43:37 PM by -midnight »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »
Stop whining and go do something useful.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Re: This is /Resolved
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
I'm not whining!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:47:03 PM by -midnight »

BanziBaby

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
Most of the guys that have posted in this thread other than polonus should be ashamed of themselves, you are going out of your way to pick on this poor woman, just because she didn't ask or want your help doesn't give you the right to bully her, especially Eddy with his last comment :(

I stopped posting here before due to this kind of fanatical pack behaviour, sad to see the small sad men that think they are experts still like to pick on others from the safety of their computers.

Disgusting :'(

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »
Would someone please lock this thread. It has run its course.  ::)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »
Most of the guys that have posted in this thread other than polonus should be ashamed of themselves, you are going out of your way to pick on this poor woman, just because she didn't ask or want your help doesn't give you the right to bully her, especially Eddy with his last comment :(

I stopped posting here before due to this kind of fanatical pack behaviour, sad to see the small sad men that think they are experts still like to pick on others from the safety of their computers.

You are apparently jumping to conclusions and should totally familiarize yourself with all of the facts before assuming that
we are picking on or ganging up on -Midnight.
Most of us have gone out of our way to help her on numerous occasions.
When a person asks for help and doesn't except it or follow the instructions to solve the problem,
then they are stealing time from those that actually need and want help.
This isn't the first time that the same person has asked for help and then decided not to accept the help.
The responses in this thread are actually a culmination of all of the things that have happened in prior posts.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

marc-d-l

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
YES  (lock this thread.)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 06:03:11 PM »

My problem has been solved and I have nothing else to say so please lock or close this thread.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
This is, again, something you should know how to do.
Using you first post, click "modify">in the subject line type "[Resolved]"  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

BanziBaby

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 09:11:01 PM »

You are apparently jumping to conclusions and should totally familiarize yourself with all of the facts before assuming that
we are picking on or ganging up on -Midnight.
Most of us have gone out of our way to help her on numerous occasions.
When a person asks for help and doesn't except it or follow the instructions to solve the problem,
then they are stealing time from those that actually need and want help.
This isn't the first time that the same person has asked for help and then decided not to accept the help.
The responses in this thread are actually a culmination of all of the things that have happened in prior posts.

Bob I'm not jumping to conclusions at all, even though I don't login often I still check the forums multiple times a day, Midnight didn't ask for help, if you check her original post she posted a screenshot of the message she was getting but DIDN'T ask for help.
It is just sad that so called mature adult men can treat a lady like that & think that is ok, Eddy's last comment was completely uncalled for & all the other posters seemed to take enjoyment out of the way Midnight was being treated & were basically ganging up on her.
As I said it was behaviour like that in the past on this forum that caused me to stop using Avast & from posting here.
I agree that the thread should be closed but think that some that have posted in here should take a good hard look at themselves, they wouldn't treat their friends or family like that.

Offline Cast

Re: This is [Resolved]
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 09:17:55 PM »
Quote from: BanziBaby
Bob I'm not jumping to conclusions at all, even though I don't login often I still check the forums multiple times a day, Midnight didn't ask for help, if you check her original post she posted a screenshot of the message she was getting but DIDN'T ask for help.

This is support forum, what else are we to assume shes looking for if she doesnt state the purpose of the thread. This also isnt her first post that shes unwilling to accept help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2014, 04:07:34 AM »
Let's see...

1)
This is ridiculous.  I get this pop-ups several times a day even when I don't have a browser open.
If you post that on a support webboard (including screenshots), it is asking for help. If it was not mend to be so, she should have not posted anything at all.

2)
I only get these pop-ups when I'm using Firefox.  Am now using IE 11 and will continue to keep it open to see if I get anymore popups.
I know I don't have a virus or malware on my computer as I scanned with Malwarebytes and Avast quick scan.
If there is/was no malware than she would not have gotten those pop-ups.

3)
I don't have a browser open.
And a bit later...
I only get these pop-ups when I'm using Firefox
So what is it? Looks to me it only happens/happened when a browser (in this case FireFox) was opened. It can't be both. Either you have a browser open or not. You can't be "kinda pregnant".

4)
I un-installed Firefox a short while ago and haven't gotten anymore pop-ups.
This clearly shows there was malware on the system.

5)
I can't find C:/Users/YourName/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla
Let me *cough* guess.. Show hidden/system folders/files is disabled.

6)
Only pop-ups after un-installing Firefox.  I'm not going to update yet.
avast releases updates to protect a system as best as possible. Not installing them is like installing locks on the doors/windows in a house but not use them.

7)
I agree. There are even still DOS based browsers you can use. Text only.

8)
I beg your pardon but it's not "attention that appears to be found here."  I reinstalled Firefox with a lot less add-ons.
If you don't want attention, you shouldn't have posted here in the first place.

9)
My neighbor who is an IT Tech just checked my computer and I don't have a virus.
Maybe not a virus, but it sure was malware that you had/have on your system.

10)
He does know what he's doing and he's well paid by me.
So you say you don't want help but at the same time you ask your neighbor for help. A good neighbor will help for free. Definitely a sign that he doesn't have a clue and just wants to make money.

11)
The first popup showed " Webshield blocked a harmful webpage or file."  I didn't get any of the red popups showing threat detected
Blocking a harmful webpage/file is saying a threat is detected and blocked.

12)
I uninstalled Firefox, no more popups, later reinstalled Firefox with fewer extensions, still no popups. I haven't installed any new programs. I am very careful about what I click on.
No you are not careful about what you click on. If you where, you wouldn't have had a malicious extension. And you wouldn't have had malware again on your system.

13)
My problem has been solved
No, it hasn't. It is the way you use/handle a computer that gets it infected. And it is not the first time. You really should learn about "securing" your system. I suggest you start with using a limited account unless it is really needed to use a account with admin rights.

BanziBaby,
sad to see the small sad men that think they are experts still like to pick on others from the safety of their computers.
Just a small hint: I have build my first computer with transistors, resistors etc. I had to make/design my own electronic scheme, print board etc.

So far the only small sad man is you. There are several experts here who have tried/offered to help her. But although she is asking for help, she is not willing/able/capable of providing the information that is needed in order to help her. It is really simple. Look at what craigb said in his first reaction to her post. If she had done as asked, there was no need for her to remove and install FireFox. She would not have had to paid here neighbor to "solve" the problem. And the sad thing is.. The real problem still isn't solved. It is a pebkac error.

Offline phil2

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2014, 04:29:58 AM »
Eddy,

Have read your posts for many years and , shall we say, you have raised my eyebrows more than once.... not always for the best reasons!!! :)

This last post was brilliant and hopefully will be listened to by them that will not listen?   Although, sadly, I doubt it.

You and the other helpful folks here deserve a medal for  your patience.

Phil
Windows 7 home service pack 1 64-bit
avast! Pro Antivirus     Malwarebytes Pro resident
    Winpatrol Pro