Author Topic: two questions  (Read 4267 times)

princetongrad24

two questions
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
i'm using avast free(the newest version)
1- Iw as wondering where i can see the protection lgos? I got a notification that avast hardened mode protected my pc, but by the time  i walked back to my computer, I couldnt see what it protected from because it disappeared. I want to know how to view the logs for this.

2- Is it normal that I needed to register my avast free, or it would expire in 30 days? That never happened in the past with other computers.

3- After I registered for this forum, i got an email asking me to confirm my registration(which i know is normal) however when i clicked the email it asked me to choose a new password and retype it. Then after i did that it said setup complete. is that normal?

NOTE: Information email only - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
Congratulations - you have registered for your new avast! Account portal.
Now we just need you to confirm your registration by clicking the following link:
https://id.avast.com/en-us/confirm/registration?token=7FEYsgZU5zCxmWSojKWHCHtfTkTQhI5BGmNmSWbPfm88PYSNka
Thank you, and safe surfing!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:06:56 PM by princetongrad24 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: two questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »
1. if you right click on the avast tray icon there is an option to 'Show last popup message' - provided you haven't had any other popup messages and or you haven't rebooted it should show that popup.

2. many forums have a confirmation/authentication function to ensure that no one is creating a membership the isn't for their email account. If someone had created the account and used your email address the confirmation would arrive at your inbox, so any attempt by them would fail.

I can't recall the exact confirmation/authentication process as it is a very long time ago that I completed it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:21:08 PM »
2- Is it normal that I needed to register my avast free, or it would expire in 30 days? That never happened in the past with other computers.
avast free have always had the one year register for as long as i can remeber....

princetongrad24

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:20:27 AM »
My avast was telling me 30 days remain unless  register, not one year.

The last popup worked, thank you. is there anyway to see a full log sheet though?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »
My avast was telling me 30 days remain unless  register, not one year.
The trial period (i.e., before registration) is 30 days. You can register for free for 12 months.
The best things in life are free.

princetongrad24

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
just got a notice that avast protected my pc(i have it set to hardened mode moderate level) it says it protected from http://windowssystem32driverkeycrypt64.sys/

is this my zemana antikeylogger? if so, does that mean it is preventing it from working? I need to know for sure if that's from zemana and not a real keylogger, before  i exclude it from protection. thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
The problem with this is what it is capable of doing as it would have to be operating at a low level.

Try changing the hardened mode to aggressive as strange as this seems it may be better as it may also be the DeepScreen that is getting involved.

If you can post a screenshot of the avast alert/notification as it could help is in determining why it is getting pinged.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

princetongrad24

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:30 PM »
unfortunately i got another popup after, so clicking view last popup isnt working. Is that file from zemana though? it isnt a keylogger on my system right? it just my anti logger?

wouldn't aggressive mode block everything?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
Well an anti-key logger to be effective would have to be at a level to be able to block keyloggers and those actions may well confuse.

No setting it to aggressive won't block everything or it wouldn't be suggested. The Moderate setting in the Hardened Mode actually requires more interactivity. With the Hardened Mode on Aggressive it also replaces the DeepScreen and gives the option to exclude the file in the interactive window if and when one id displayed.

princetongrad24

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 07:54:39 AM »
are you saying avast may view the antilogger as a real keylogger?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »
are you saying avast may view the antilogger as a real keylogger?

That is a possibility as tools that do specific tasks could well be mistaken for what it is trying to prevent.

However, this is speculative as I don't have any detailed information of what avast said it was, e.g. its malware name ?