Author Topic: External Hard Drives infected by LNK:FakeFolder-B [Trj] - First Seps? THANKS!  (Read 12497 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
No continue straight to the AdwCleaner programme that should get the vast majority of them :)

Then run a fresh OTL scan on completion

derekrlew

Thanks So Much EB - for all the help...

There is no way I could have cleaned the computer without your help.

Will leaving Rogue Killer, AdwCleaner, MCShield and OTL onboard at the same time be okay?

I will be doing some sweeping with my work computers after this for sure.

Attached is the last OTL scan.

So much stuff has been killed off - THANKS!

All the best from the high seas,

D

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
That looks good, keep MCShield, the rest should be used as required as they are updated regularly.  I will remove them once you are happy

Any further problems ?

derekrlew

Thanks again EB!  It is running much better without annoying new windows popping open in Mozilla like it used to do!

Should I remove those programs myself through windows?

And would you recommend MCShield for Mac Powerbook Pro?  What about Avast for Mac?  I just inherited one - and was told that they were not necessary.

Your opinion?

THANKS!

AdrianH

You can get help/advice for Mac here >> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0

Anyone that tells you there is no malware/virus need for Mac is a fool.

Even if you don't infect your own machine, you can still pass problems to other users, via email, files etc.

There are virus and malware scripts aimed at Mac, and they infect machines everyday.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Avast for Mac is good, I am not sure if MCShield works on Macs I do not believe it does :)

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe  :wave:

derekrlew

Thanks so much as always EssexBoy -

I have attempted to get CryptoPrevent on my computer - but can't find an active download tab on the link above, or by going to the FoolishIT page directly.  They are on version 4.3 - and I can't figure out how to start the download.

I am probably missing something obvious - but I have been wracking my brain to figure out what.

Any thoughts?

THANKS!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
The download link is right at the bottom of the page :)

derekrlew

THANKS!  Got Crypto - will run later.

I ran MalWare and got 15 PUP.Optional files - some of which I thought were already removed.

Are these in quarantine in another program?

I am wondering whether you reccomend reoval through MalWare  -

I have attached log -

Many Thanks if you can opine!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
They are all in your temporary files so just empty them and they will go.  Have you just downloaded Winamp ?  As that has adware bundled with it

This programme might help when you download free programmes

A small tool that may help when you download programmes

http://unchecky.com/

Click on the link above to be taken to Unchecky.com
click the very large Download button.
click Save
Click Open folder

Right click on the Unchecky_setup or folder and choose to Run as Administrator

Once open click the Install button.

Then click on Finish

Unchecky is now installed and will help you keep unwanted check boxes unchecked ;)

derekrlew

Well Essexboy - I guess this will be it for a while.  I can't thank you enough for all your help. 

Period.

I am up and running with unchecky, Malware Bytes, Avast of course, and computer is purring along.

I have WinAmp on the computer - and need it unfortunately to run with another program (RoxBox) that requires it.  Otherwise I would shoot it out of there in a heartbeat.

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
My pleasure from one old seadog to another :)