Author Topic: instup.exe  (Read 10620 times)

tinlizzie

instup.exe
« on: February 09, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
I have used Avast for many years now, but ever since the program was updated a couple of weeks ago, I have this file which "calls home" innumerable times during the day. When it does so, it crashes some of my programs and it just needs to go. Can I just delete the file ? or do I need to find another AV. Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: instup.exe
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:45:02 PM »
Sounds like the Avast Emergency Update Service, can you post the full details or a screenshot.

tinlizzie

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »
I actually did not know what the cause for the crashes was, until I disabled the "Avast Antivirus Installer" in my firewall. (My firewall tells me when something is trying to call home.) Even disabled, it crashes some of my programs. The file is 153 kb and located in Alwil Software\Avast5\SetUp. I understand the need for a set-up file when something needs to be set up, but Avast WAS set up and works fine.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:18:56 PM »
Is the location name you have there correct - Alwil Software is the old name, it should be Avast Software.

Is this the correct full address ? C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\emupdate if so you should allow this legitimate avast function
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:32:07 PM by craigb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »
The new C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\instup.exe file replaces the old avast.setup file and it controls all updates, Virus Definitions and Program, etc.

So to answer your question no you can't just delete it:
1. the avast self-defence module would try to prevent that.
2. avast's integrity checking is also likely to replace it if it was deleted.

As craigb mentions you have the old style path and company name, etc. this can happen if you only ever did program updates from the avast UI. Doing it that way would retain the old folder structure and registry entries.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »
Just had to slap myself :P I totally looked past the instup.exe file "topic title" when I got focused on emupdate ::)

tinlizzie

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 08:03:07 PM »
Many thanks to craigb and DavidR for your replies. I did not even know I had that file, until I was trying to track down what crashed some of my progs. I have only had instup.exe disabled for a couple of days now and my Avast is "All Good", but "Avast Service" as well as "Avast Antivirus" are still enabled. I have never had any kind of problems with Avast, but as it seems to crash the progs whether en- or disabled, it looks like I need to find another AV.

P.S. and as forecast by DavidR, I cannot delete the file itself.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:22 PM »
I'd suggest a clean install using the avastclean tool and a fresh copy of avast http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145192.0

Download a new copy of avast and the removal tool and save, uninstall avast via remove programs and reboot then run the tool which will ask to reboot to safe mode to complete.

Run the tool for all versions of avast you have previously installed and reboot back to normal mode when completed, now you can install the new avast copy ( untick Chrome if unwanted and choose custom install to remove unnecessary features )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
Many thanks to craigb and DavidR for your replies. I did not even know I had that file, until I was trying to track down what crashed some of my progs. I have only had instup.exe disabled for a couple of days now and my Avast is "All Good", but "Avast Service" as well as "Avast Antivirus" are still enabled. I have never had any kind of problems with Avast, but as it seems to crash the progs whether en- or disabled, it looks like I need to find another AV.

P.S. and as forecast by DavidR, I cannot delete the file itself.

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tinlizzie

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
I'd suggest a clean install using the avastclean tool and a fresh copy of avast http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145192.0

Download a new copy of avast and the removal tool and save, uninstall avast via remove programs and reboot then run the tool which will ask to reboot to safe mode to complete.

Run the tool for all versions of avast you have previously installed and reboot back to normal mode when completed, now you can install the new avast copy ( untick Chrome if unwanted and choose custom install to remove unnecessary features )

Thanks, craigb, for the links and the good instructions on a clean install. I have done as you suggested and have installed the latest version of avast free. However, I am now monitoring avast on my computer a bit more closely than I did before and have noticed that 5 different files regularily ask for permission to call home; namely, "antivirus", "antivirus installer" (2x), "emergency update" and "service" and at this time I am wondering, EXACTLY how many of these exe's NEED to call home in order to make avast work. For a couple of days after install I had one or the other of these application hijacked by another one of the avast applications. This has now stopped, but needless to say I feel a bit spied upon. :)