Author Topic: Why Google Chrome  (Read 3029 times)

huronwaterman

Why Google Chrome
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:24:25 PM »
I am very pleased with Avast overall and have used it for over 2 years now... however I dont like that it automatically downloads Google Chrome every time I update.  If I want Google Chrome I will download Google Chrome.  The option to have it download should be voluntary and not tagged on at the end.  Its annoying and then I have to go and uninstall it....  If you want to keep me, dont put addons in that I havent asked for....
If this were free software I could understand but I pay for it and I dont want Google Chrome!
ps. It would be nice to have a direct email for the company for these matters,  I searched for over 1/2 hour on the site and couldnt find an email address anywhere...This was my final resort.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Why Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »
This is a known issue. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=146002.msg1059340#msg1059340

For contact use this form.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
You should have been presented with the option to choose Chrome or deny the install

http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB6#articleContent

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »
You should have been presented with the option to choose Chrome or deny the install

While that is true, I personally feel the option screen/choices is extremely obscure and easy to miss if one is not very attentive.
Not to mention, Ever since the CHROME INSTALL has been bundled with Avast there are those that testify to not seeing/receiving any Opt-OUT Option.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »
- Disable "use Chrome as my default browser"
- Uninstall Chrome completely
- Reboot

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »

While that is true, I personally feel the option screen/choices is extremely obscure and easy to miss if one is not very attentive.
Not to mention, Ever since the CHROME INSTALL has been bundled with Avast there are those that testify to not seeing/receiving any Opt-OUT Option.

That is why I said  should ..............  it is just like the GrimeFighter and Secure line that appear by magic , along with the snake oil scareware adverts    pop-ups >:(

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
It should be "opt-in" and "not" "opt-out".

edit: typo
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:13:57 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.