Author Topic: SuperAntiSpyware  (Read 9675 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: SuperAntiSpyware
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 12:31:46 AM »
I had nothing but trouble when running both as resident.
In fact it was here on the forums that it was recommended
to not run both because of conflicts.

I don't see where or who recommended not running SAS and Avast as resident as they aren't both antivirus programs. Unless you are changing your original point to not running SAS Pro with avast to running two resident anti-spy/malware applications.

So there would be no difference on recommending SAS or MBAM to run alongside avast. The only proviso would be not running SAS Pro and MBAM Pro as resident and that has nothing to do with avast, but running two resident programs of the same type (2 X anti-spy/malware or 2 X antivirus).

I had SAS Pro before MBAM came out and for some time I had SAS Pro as the Resident and when MBAM came out I had that as the free version non-resident along side SAS Pro.

When I bought MBAM Pro, I switched SAS Pro to non-resident alongside avast and no issues at all in all of the years I used SAS Pro - I ended up uninstalling SAS Pro because it didn't bring much else to the party (MBAM Pro and avast).

There should be a point when you review what security applications you have installed, effectively when you spend time servicing those applications rather than they serve you, then you don't have the balance right.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nalo89

Re: SuperAntiSpyware RESOLVED
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 12:40:55 AM »
Besides my setup my wife`s W7 Home Premium Acer desktop also has the latest SuperAntiSpyware Pro bought on a yearly subscription commencing 08-05-2013 and Avast free version about a year before that. As yet, Avast has not knocked out her SAS exe file. Until my XP Medion died 6 months ago I had that running with SAS Pro and the then version of Avast Free from 10-02-2012 onwards. I wonder why my SAS exe got knocked out and not her one.  Thanks to you all for your opinions and suggestions but I will see if it happens again and then take it from there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 01:10:46 AM »
No one can really say why as there is insufficient information to make that judgement.

We don't know:
1. the file name and location.
2. the malware name given on the detection.
3. the type of scan that was being done and if memory was being scanned.

Commonly when detections are made on other security based applications, it is because the scan done included memory and the that application loaded unencrypted malware signatures into memory.

Typically files 'shouldn't be deleted' by avast as the default action is to move to chest, yet you say it wasn't in the chest. That is why the above snippets of information are helpful in determining the why that you ask.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Randissimo

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 01:44:17 AM »
Besides the occasional tracking cookie it does not detect much on my laptop.
those tracking cookie detections stopped for me after using MVPS HOSTS file and better privacy for automatically deletion after closing the browser and if there still is something, it gets regularly deleted from the c:\users\username\cookies\ and the c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\cookies\ folders.

@ OP: Instead of SAS you might try Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Adwcleaner and Junkware Removal Tool.

edit: I forgot to add: Your issue might be something similar to that one here (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143715.0), which I also have experienced on Windows 8x64 but not on Windows 7x64.
So out of curiosity: which OS are you using exactly?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:49:40 AM by Randissimo »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 01:49:30 AM »
I cleanse those now in Google Chrome with Vanilla Cookie Manager and then SAS does not find any longer.
Now I see: "Clear Unwanted cookies 99 out of 102". Click. Done.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline nalo89

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 01:52:35 AM »
Hello DavidR, the Avast panel popped up and said something about the SuperAntiSpyware.exe file situated in the Program Folder and asked if I would like to put it into the Exclusion list but I was too slow to respond with the result the SAS icon disappeared from the notification bar and checking in the SAS folder showed the exe to be missing. It was not in quarantine either. I was not doing a manual scan or anything to do with Avast.  The fact it said Exclusion list and it was not in quarantine made me think it was not a threat else it should have been moved there.  If I had been out of the room at the time I would not have been immediately aware of the problem. I feel that Avast warning panel popups should stay on until a decision is taken. I think there is a setting in Avast to adjust the dwell time. Thanks

Randissimo

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 01:54:59 AM »
@ polonus: That's a nice suggestion, for an experiment with Chrome when I feel like it, however, most addons for that browser have proven to be less effective for me than the ones for Firefox, because you don't have that detailed settings for example with the Adblock extension to manually block any picture you want on the webpage instead of an automatic "anti advertising sliding bolt".

Avastiest

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 02:03:57 AM »
My dad mentioned that avast detected something after booting up so i went an checked the virus chest an found this.

NAME: SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
ORIGINAL LOCATION: C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware
VIRUS: Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

Randissimo

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »
Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]
The strong heuristics of Avast only labeled it as "suspicious". Nothing's wrong with that file, but you can always check at https://www.virustotal.com/ and or report a false positive from the chest.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:42:56 AM by Randissimo »

Offline nalo89

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
Hello Randissimo, I sent the installed SAS Pro exe to virustotal and it came back clean. what I cannot understand is why it was knocked out by Avast Free and was not stored by it.

Randissimo

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »
Hello,
there are two possibilities:

1) there has been a streaming or signature update in the mean-time.

2)
Some of the solutions included in VirusTotal are parametrized (in coherence with the developer company's desire) with a different heuristic/agressiveness level than the official end-user default configuration.

see: https://www.virustotal.com/en/faq/, Virus Total statistics.