Author Topic: Trouble Dowloading The 'Free' AVAST Internet Security?  (Read 2500 times)

Scrittore

Trouble Dowloading The 'Free' AVAST Internet Security?
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »
Trying to download the free version of Internet Security to get a friend started with AVAST and the download isn't working. Anyone else experiencing this today (Sunday 2/16/14)?

Attempted also to run as 'Administrator' - so that was not an issue.

Also - not on that specific subject - became a little concerned when I saw it was a CNet download (yes, I went to Avast.com and nothing else to download the 'free' version). Saw all the other sites offering it but was careful ONLY to select AVAST.com - because the last time I used a CNet download it piggy-backed 'CONDUIT' into my computer which took a lot of work to get out of there - so - this isn't the same CNet as we go to directly to check techie-things is it? Just looking for assurance that what AVAST is using for downloading the 'free' version isn't going to pump something like CONDUIT along with the download because of using CNet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:58:37 AM by Scrittore (Jim) »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:36:34 PM by Charyb »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Trouble Dowloading The 'Free' AVAST Internet Security?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
Regarding piggy-backed software, CNET gives an indication when an ad-supported stub installer is used. Just use the direct download link. See the attached images.

To make it clear, avast does not have an ad-supported stub installer at CNET. The images are from a free utility software which are used as an example.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:02:15 PM by Charyb »

Scrittore

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 03:02:23 AM »
As for the free version of Internet Security, there isn't. However, there is a trial period.

Tks for the response(s). Must have gotten confused - because when I first started with AVAST a few years ago I thought the Internet Security was a 'free' version (instead of just a 'trial). Correction assimiliated :)

Also - tks for the second response as well regarding CNet and piggy-backed (stub-installer, another new term for me :)) - malware [such as CONDIT as mentioned previosly] or other ad-supported stuff - plus - the response regarding UBB coding and the links.

Finally - am I correct in that this board uses UBB Code?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:26:42 AM by Scrittore (Jim) »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 03:13:50 AM »
As for the free version of Internet Security, there isn't. However, there is a trial period.

Tks for the response. Must have gotten confused - because when I first started with AVAST a few years ago I thought the Internet Security was a 'free' version (instead of just a 'trial). Correction assimiliated :)

Finally - am I correct in that this board uses UBB Code?
Yes it does.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Bulletin_board_code

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Basic_Bulletin_Board_Codes
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:24:15 AM by Charyb »