Author Topic: Using Demo, have a few questions  (Read 3634 times)

Battleship

Using Demo, have a few questions
« on: June 28, 2005, 05:10:07 PM »
I'm really trying to get rid of symantec so I've installed the Avast server edition on one server and installed the net_client on one client. 
I need to figure out a few things before I can purchase this so hopefully someone can help me.  Oh and I've been using the ADNM and reading the pdf associated with that.

1.  I scanned the computers on my network and it found them.  It seem to add them to a group named by my domain name.  I created a deployment package and set it up so that I could deploy it to one client (one of the many in this <domain> group).  The status came back as failed (access is denied) - please check the remote install log for details.  Where is the remote install log? 
2.  Ok, so not a big deal the symantec one failed at times too.  I then took the net_client managed install from the avast site and manually installed it on the clients computer.  I had to pick a bunch of options during the install which is fine for this one client but eventually I do want to install these automatically.  I don't mind creating an .msi and pushing that out so that would prevent the users from needing to put in any options during the install?
3.  So its installed, I see it, its updating, all is well.  The user gets an email and it says it is suspicious.  This is because of some custom things we have we get emails with either a lot of whitespace in the subject or other weirdness.  So what I want to do is modify the on-access plugins settings on the clients.  I can't figure out how to do this.  The client doesn't seem to have the access to the settings which is fine and in the adnm I'm not sure which sort of task to create just to change the settings of the providers running on the clients.  I tried an on-access scanning task since all the settings are in there but I don't know how to "apply" that task or even if it will just scan or actually change settings.  I've looked at the <domain> group where it found all the computers but the policies section in there is greyed out.  If I create a new group that too have policies section greyed out and that section doesn't have the level of detail I want anyway like the on-access scanning task.  Basically I want to push out settings that disable the outlook provider from adding a signature, checking subject, and showing splash screen. 

The final piece I need figured out before I'm able to rip out symantec is updating.  Its already working when the users are in the office they update to the managed server (ams).  When they are home and/or travel with their laptops they won't always be able to get on our network to update with the ams server.  How can it be set so they also can update to an http avast when not in our office? 

Thanks for any feedback...

Battleship

Re: Using Demo, have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 05:17:39 PM »
oh and also I had installed the server edition on <Server1>.  Then I installed the AMS on the same server.  Under the management servers in the adnm console it doesn't list <Server1> by name nor do I see that <Server1> is a managed server anywhere.... what am i missing?