Author Topic: Windows 7 System Protection Tab Missing  (Read 8238 times)

george0723

Windows 7 System Protection Tab Missing
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:15:36 AM »
In Windows 7 Ultimate the System Protection Tab is missing from Advanced System Properties when Avast Sheilds are up.  The tab appears when I disable all shields.  Help !  I cannot use System Restore or Backup properly.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows 7 System Protection Tab Missing
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:16:07 PM »
I want to learn how to solve this too. Reported to moderators.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Cast

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »
Does this only affect ultimate versions or all 7 versions because I myself just made a system image and when I went to see if windows would detect it, it said it couldnt find one.

thekochs

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:47:30 AM »
One thing that may be helpful to Avast folks is to know if you have or had any currently or previously and other A/V and/or Imaging software on the machine installed ? I did some quick googling and this thread came up and if you read the long thread.....including the solution at the top....is centered around VSS issues.
Specifically it was an old Norton/Symantec Ghost software VSS remnants causing the problem.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5587519b-6a84-45b0-9948-36f4f3416379/windows-7-system-restore-does-not-work?forum=w7itprogeneral

Separate from Avast.....when W7 was new I had so many issues with VSS on MS "backups" that I gave up on its use for a reliable backup image.
I'm sure it has come along ways since that long time ago but for "imaging" of HDD I use Macrium.....simple, light-weight, FREE & clean.
https://www.google.com/#q=macrium+reflect+free  It also plays nicely with W7 VSS.
I'm not suggesting the thread issue should not be understood, nor fixed, or that you should change I'm just providing a datapoint on VSS.
Even with my use of Macrium for offline image/backup storage I do use W7 System Restore Points (Enabled) and have Windows Scheduler create a point each day.  I only post the above because OP (george0723) mentions system restore and Cast talks about imaging.....I assume W7 backup......because both "funtcions" use Windows VSS.

george0723, when you disable the shields and see the protection tab can you create a restore point ?......can you see successful ones logged ?
Cast, when you did the "image" did you get that is was created ?.....no error ?

Anyway, I'm sure more knowledgable folks will chim in from Avast or Moderators......just wanted to provide possible reading material until.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:00:54 AM by thekochs »

Offline Cast

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:19:56 AM »
No error as far as I know, I originally used the W7 one and didnt mind it but it took a couple hours just to backup about 50gbs of data.

Since a couple days ago I decided to try out some others. I used the one by EaseUS and another that I dont remeber off the top of my head. The last one I tried was Aomei backupper, I like it so far because it compresses unlike  the other two I tried before.

Edit: I just checked the event viewer logs and it shows that VSS has two errors within 24 time period, only problem is I have no idea what from exactly other than it had to of been from when I was doing a backup with Aomei backupper. 

Ok the error says: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.
Could it possibly be because of Cryptoprevent? I do use it and havent whitelisted anything in a while, otherwise im unsure what security settings its refering to unless its avast! causing the error.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:24:02 AM by Cast »

thekochs

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
No error as far as I know, I originally used the W7 one and didnt mind it but it took a couple hours just to backup about 50gbs of data.

Since a couple days ago I decided to try out some others. I used the one by EaseUS and another that I dont remeber off the top of my head. The last one I tried was Aomei backupper, I like it so far because it compresses unlike  the other two I tried before.

Edit: I just checked the event viewer logs and it shows that VSS has two errors within 24 time period, only problem is I have no idea what from exactly other than it had to of been from when I was doing a backup with Aomei backupper. 

Ok the error says: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.
Could it possibly be because of Cryptoprevent? I do use it and havent whitelisted anything in a while, otherwise im unsure what security settings its refering to unless its avast! causing the error.

You can go into CryptoPrevent and one of the pulled down menus shows you the blocked logs.
However, think it only logs items blocked since last boot.....so if you have not rebooted you can try.
My guess......and only a guess.....is that this is not CryptoPrevent but a VSS issue based on other items in your system and/or Avast in concert with those system issues/items......but you'll need to do some testing to really isolate the issue or interaction issue/conflict.
Some first easy tests......
Go into CryptoPrevent and UNDO the changes, reboot, and retry and see if works ?
Go offline, disable Avast and try a backup......see if it has any effect ?

Here is thread on IVssWriterCallback error.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/vss-error-showing-in-event-viewer/34b62c1b-93e6-4848-a9a0-59e3f4019ebb
Do you are did you have McAfee installed prior or other A/V ?
Remember, doing just a "uninstall" out of Windows on these A/V programs does not remove all remnants.....and they DO cause issues/conflicts.
Take some time and make sure your system is truly clean of old A/V programs: http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

Also, if you had any other backup software......sounds like you have put new ones on take the time to do a clean uninstall.
Do some googling on each of the packages and see what is shown to "remove".....perhaps some manual deletes of leftover folders if they have been uninstalled.

Then, do a Clean Uninstall & Re-Install on Avast How-To: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143284.0
.....and YES.....it is worth the time to do this. :)

If none of the above work here is another potential issue/solution with VSS that you can investigate.
http://help.remote-backup.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/327/5/eliminating-vss-error-8194-from-event-log

Lastly, everyone has their own opinions on backup software but go look at Macrium Reflect FREE.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
It compresses at different levels if you want.......easy to use....I personally have recovered to new HDDs many times and works well.
It is a very reputable package.....always kept current.....and handles VSS very nicely.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:41:07 PM by thekochs »

thekochs

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
Cast I'm posting your PM to me on this thread...........please use this Forum so others can help.

Cast
Im starting to wonder if there's something I'm missing because there' no way that 4 other 3rd party tools don't work but the windows ones works just fine. Is there something I need to do to set it up so windows detects the backups on my external harddrive in which I use as the location for the backup? I've gone through the registry and removed the other two programs I had before I used Aomei and just now downloaded macrium and windows doesn't recognize that backup with that one as well. The only AV's I have had on this computer were Avast and Panda Cloud and yes I have removed Panda completely with its uninstall tool plus manually searching through the registry. I dont know what else to do, I haven't gotten any error since backing up offline with Avast shields disabled and self defense off(just in case its the same issue with system restore not working with avast self defense enabled)

I'm not sure I follow.
You say Windows does detect its own backup ?......I thought your issue was that Windows did not detect a backup present when you tried ?
From Reply #2 I myself just made a system image and when I went to see if windows would detect it, it said it couldn't find one.

Also, you are aware that the third party backups Windows is not going to "detect".....only that vendors software will ? For example, when you run a backup/image from Macrium to your external HDD it will create a image file....extension is .mrimg.  You should be able to go into Windows Explorer to your USB HDD and see that file located in the target directory you created to.  If you want to verify the image is good you can mount the image to view the contents.  Simply launch the Macrium Windows App and under RESTORE use the "Browse for an Image or Backup File To Restore"....find the image and follow the instructions and Macrium will mount that image as a drive letter in your Windows Explorer.....you can then go into Windows Explorer and browse/confirm the contents.  You can then use the Macrium app to unmount the image in Explorer when done.  Here is KB on it: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50080.aspx
Lastly, for Macrium.....and other 3rd party....you need to create a Rescue Disk......you do this within Macrium.  You can create Linux or WindowsPE versions.  This disk will be the CD you boot to which will then restore the image on the USB HDD to your PC's HDD.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:03:48 PM by thekochs »

Offline Cast

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »
Maybe that is what im doing wrong then because I have been trying to use windows own backup and restore image feature assuming that all the images the others made are compatible with it. Maybe ill just stick with windows backup because I dont feel like making another cd for another image backup program when I already have a Win 7 boot disc.

Also I PMed you because no body else replied so I figured you could help me out with my issues.

Edit: I should of made my own thread in the first place then because neither of these have anything in common now that im aware.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:33:54 PM by Cast »

thekochs

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »
Maybe that is what im doing wrong then because I have been trying to use windows own backup and restore image feature assuming that all the images the others made are compatible with it. Maybe ill just stick with windows backup because I dont feel like making another cd for another image backup program when I already have a Win 7 boot disc.

Also I PMed you because no body else replied so I figured you could help me out with my issues.

Edit: I should of made my own thread in the first place then because neither of these have anything in common now that im aware.

Glad we got to the bottom of this........and I'm also sorry to the OP this subject hijacked this thread.
I truly thought it was same subject but then it morphed.

As you surmized......Windows & 3rd party guys and the images they make are not compatible.
If you are comfortable with Windows backup then that is great.....I prefer Macrium....but it is all ones preference.
Bottom line is it sounds like your system is working fine.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:37:42 AM by thekochs »