Author Topic: Bl**** Google infestation  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: Bl**** Google infestation
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »
Silly question  Why not just ignore it.  I dislike chrome as a browser but there again I do not like firefox either.  Yet I have no problem, after all it is Avast's website

Good Point. It is at the bottom of the page. However, may I ask what browser you use?
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

AdrianH

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
Silly question  Why not just ignore it.  I dislike chrome as a browser but there again I do not like firefox either.  Yet I have no problem, after all it is Avast's website

Good Point. It is at the bottom of the page. However, may I ask what browser you use?

No, it is in every post you make or reply to, plus it follows you to your profile, it is right in your face at every turn ........ or was  ;D

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:34 PM »
I use IE 11 straight out of the box, unlike the need to get the necessary extensions to make Firefox and chrome function

I personally feel that there is a type of paranoia about google, the greatest evil in the world.  Either use it or ignore ...simples 

Online polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:56 AM »
In Google Chrome you can hide it via ABP and the element via dynamite extension.
When it is annoying to you add to the ABP filter.
Everyone is doing it, firefox now has ads in your face for a trial period at least.
Developers want a living, I understand.
Soon Internet ads launching gonna look like commercial TV,
but there you can at least use that time to "go and spend a penny"  ;D

polonus

P.S. It is also redirecting from http://www.google.com/chrome?brand=AVSF&installdataindex=googlehomepage&hl=en redirects to https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?brand=AVSF&installdataindex=googlehomepage&hl=en
(avast does not scan https  :(  )

D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:18:27 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Cast

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »
So one thing I have noticed is if I tell ABP to block the google chrome advert it also blocks who is shown online and also recent topics posted on in the main forum page. Is there a way to block the advert but still allow that through the addon(preferably without installing another addon)?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:00:38 AM by Cast »

AdrianH

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »
So one thing I have noticed is if I tell ABP to block the google chrome advert it also blocks who is shown online and also recent topics posted on in the main forum page. Is there a way to block the advert but still allow that through the addon(preferably without installing another addon)?

You need to use AdBlock correctly Adblock , not ABP .............(courtesy of Bob )  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vSic0iJgyeSWxQNVZWMjBiUHM/edit?usp=sharing

Use the slider until the container is removed, theneverything else functions perfectly.

propheticus

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »
ABP is perfectly capable of blocking only the Chrome ad. Just add the custom filter:
Code: [Select]
forum.avast.com##div#google-chrome

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »

I mentioned this in Reply #14
The Element Hiding Helper for ABP add-on just extends the functionality of ABP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security