Author Topic: Possible cause of problems with Avast & ZA  (Read 2734 times)

rdmaloyjr

Possible cause of problems with Avast & ZA
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:19:54 PM »
http://www.komando.com/tips.asp

Installing Service Pack 2

Q. I am a photographer and own a promotional products company. I use Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS and CorelDraw 12. Many people have told me NOT to download Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. They say it will mess up my graphics programs. What is your professional opinion? I'm sick of the pop-up telling me SP2 is available for download!

A. Microsoft developed Service Pack 2 (SP2) to provide additional security features. Most of these features patch holes in Internet Explorer. It also includes the new Windows Security Center. The Security Center makes it easier for users to manage security features.

In today's world, you can never be too cautious about computer security. So I recommend that you install Service Pack 2. However, before you do, there are precautionary measures you should follow. They are similar for any major update and will ensure that things go smoothly.

Many users have found that SP2 affects the functionality of some software. Microsoft has published a list of programs that function differently when SP2 is installed. Some of the programs you use may be affected. The list can be viewed at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

Because there are known conflicts, you should be able to find help. Check the software manufacturers' Web sites for information.

While you're at it, visit your computer manufacturer's Web site. It might have information on Service Pack 2 you should read. Since *different computers use different drivers, there might be additional steps required.

When you're ready to go ahead with the update, back up your files. You should always back up personal files before making a major change to your system.

Next, run your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. Make sure the definitions are current before you start the scan. Viruses and spyware can cause installation problems for SP2.

If you are experiencing computer issues, you should resolve them now.

Finally, before installing, read the FAQ on my site. It addresses many issues with SP2, including where to get help if the installation freaks out your computer. The FAQ is at:
http://www.komando.com/tips_wxpsp2.asp

*red is by me, not Kim Komando These different drivers could be the reason some have problems with Avast! & ZoneAlarm and others don't have any problems (like me).  rdmaloyjr

kamulko

Re: Possible cause of problems with Avast & ZA
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 11:31:58 PM »
My software for graphics, photos and design (I'm not a pro user): Corel-Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9; Photoshop CS; Corel Draw 12; Ulhead PhotoImpact 7, Photofiltre; ACD See 7; Irfan View.
No problems.

The software patched after the SP2 is only the suite Nero Burning Rom 6.6: it don't run perfectly under SP2. Now I have installed Nero Burning Rom Reloaded.