Author Topic: SandBox malfunction possibly virus  (Read 30817 times)

CAS159

Re: SandBox malfunction possibly virus
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2014, 02:31:51 AM »
My FireFox browser problem seems to be solved after I put "NoScript Security Suite" extension on FF.
However, I found my DVD/CD R/W, NEC DVD_R/W ND-3540A, would not read any cd or dvd in the drive.  I Googled it and found other people were having the same problem so three other drives I don't use so I plugged in the internal DVD player and I have the same problem.  It was said to check the MB for the other side of the cable but that has not moved so I did not check it.  MS has a FixIt program but that didn't fix it(MicrosoftFixit.dvd.MATSKB.Run.exe).  Before I ran the MS program I got a message when I tried to open it posted below.
I found another possible solution to fix the registry to create a registry file(FIXCD.REG) which I've posted below which did not work.  I questioned the first line "REGEDIT4" but found it states it can be used for XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516)?  However, I can't be sure.
I found there was a similar problem solved on Avast when the Avast member found it was back up software, "Retrospect 7.5", taking over his CD/DVD drive:
                     CD/DVD not working after avast install
                     « on: July 23, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »
                    (Retrospect 7.5) backup software
I had Retrospect on my drive before but not now and a search of my C drive and the registry has only found Retrospect in the "Search Assistant" registry.
I was trying to install my Cannon Pixma ip2702 printer so I could print out my FoxIt PDF file for Healthcare.gov when this started.  I just downloaded the driver instead of reading the Cannon CD and maybe I'll be able to print my IRS tax forms before April 15th.
I also ran a program to check updates for my drivers which produced a report posted below.
However, ESET online scan found a problem with Foxit after I updated it last week,
"D:\My Documents\DownLoads\PDF viewers\FoxitReader\FoxitReader614.0217_enu_Setup.exe   a variant of Win32/OpenCandy.A potentially unsafe application   deleted - quarantined".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:37:06 AM by CAS159 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »
Did you try with more than one disc in the CD drive ?

CAS159

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
Okay, I just tried a music cd using VLC media player and it displays all the files and works.  However, I re-tried my Cannon ip2700 printer cd and it failed to show any files in Windows Explorer.  I added the Cannon ip2700 printer drivers today in "Add Printer" with an online Update.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:03:55 PM by CAS159 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »
Sounds like the canon cd is corrupt/scratched or dirty

CAS159

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »
I just put in my Windows XP cd and it did not read it.  I then put in a game CD for a submarine game, "Silent Hunter", and it read that.  I tried Cavalier Internet Installation CD and it read that.
It read a medical CD for care of a condition I have.  It just read MS Office XP.
It appears that I have scratched CD's which I cannot see or installation CD's are affected.  Is there a program to test the DVD/CD R/W drive? 
I also need to prepare for Windows 7 installation.  I want to run XP virtual under it.  It takes a while to download with dial-up so I Googled it "https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+7+xp+virtual+machine+upgrade.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb.
I just ran the test for running Win7 virtual xp and it replied negative.  What now?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:28:31 PM by CAS159 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Your cpu will not support the windows 7 virtualisation programme however, it may well support VMware player https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

CAS159

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2014, 01:21:25 AM »
VMware Player?  I'm looked at it on Wiki.  It appear to be a virtual machine that emulates the operating system you want to run such as XP on Windows 7 from a server or on your PC?  If the answer is I run my operating system from an VMware Player online cloud server then my dial-up connection will be very slow.  However, if I am able to run the VMware Player on my computer then that is a viable option. (http://download.cnet.com/VMware-Player/3000-2094_4-10470784.html)
There is another option for me to research building anther computer via "Tom's Hardware Guide" in the meantime.  I had thought I read before that my devices, IDE drives, plug & play cards, ect. would not work on the new NorthBridge design better yet the new Sandy Bridge.  The integration of graphics and ram into CPU reads like more things can go wrong with one component. 
When I read the Tom's Hardware review over a decade ago of the 865 board that ASUS managed to overclock and run a virtual processor to Intel's dismay and knew that the Northbridge design would run dual processors I thought it was ahead of its' time and would last a long while.  That time is gone.
It appears that the least of my problem is a Dual layer DVD/CD-R/W not reading all my my DVD or CD's.  However, that problem might be a leftover from malware or age.  That is what I want to find among my question of VMware Player and another computer system.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:54:03 AM by CAS159 »

CAS159

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
My DVD/CD settings appear to have been corrupted on 3/20/2014 according to the attached file
I'm downloading NEC ND-3540A Firmware 1.04 from TechSpot and see if it works.

CAS159

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
I installed the "NEC ND-3540A Firmware 1.04" and it still does not read the WinXP and the Cannon printer CD. I'm still looking for a cd/dvd drive Diagnostic program unless you tell me setupapi.log is line stating "#E412 Per-machine codesigning policy settings appear to have been tampered with" is not valid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:10:44 PM by CAS159 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »
As some CD's are readable I would suspect damaged CD's to be the problem

CAS159

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
Then I'm looking for a program to determine those CD's are damaged and recover the data?  I installed "cd-dvd-diagnostic-3.1.exe" stated for free then it wanted a license key.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »
Did you download the evaluation copy from here http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_diagnostic.html

CAS159

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »
No.  This program went right to my desktopm from:
http://installm.net/bestsoftware/proof/cd-dvd-diagnostic-3.1.exe/987317/download.htm
I downloaded a program which downloads the program itself.  Then after it starts it crashes because you don't have a key.  I just tried "arrowkey cd dvd diagnostic.exe" which has so many virus flaws it was taken off the market. I just tried "chomikuj CD/DVD Diagnostic 3.1 Build 97" without success.  My point is to get a program to prove the disk are damaged.  If this is true it negates the possibility of malware.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:18:35 PM by CAS159 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »
I do not believe that there is any malware on your system at this time

This is not the normal behaviour of malware as it would achieve nothing

CAS159

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
I installed from your link http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_diagnostic.html.  The Cannon and Windows XP CD's were not read.  The screen messages "InfinaDyne Screen" and "CD message". were the same for both pasted below.  These two CD's were the only ones I used in the past 6 months.  The Windows CD had been in the drive and I ejected it and put in the Cannon CD to install the drivers which I had to download because of the failure to read it.  All other CD's have been recognized by the drive.  It is too coincidental.