Author Topic: Re: It was suggested that I start a new topic so........(Resolved)  (Read 10560 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Always Be Kind
Re: It was suggested that I start a new topic so........(Resolved)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
Think I might try to hook it up myself.  Just the power cord, mouse and keyboard and once it's turned on will see if I still get the error messages and if so will try to refresh it.  If by some miracle I'm able to login I'll plug in all of the USB devices.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:37:06 PM by -midnight »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Always Be Kind
Re: It was suggested that I start a new topic so........
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 12:25:29 AM »
I was able to get it turned on but the monitor wouldn't work.  I wasn't sure which cord went to the monitor so I hooked my windows 7 back up.

I got a PM on Facebook from my neighbor and he wanted me to take my new one to his house so he could try to repair it but I'm going to take it there.  I don't want him to set it back to the factory settings.

AdrianH

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »
you have a hotmail account .... use free SkyDrive (new name OneDrive) to storage your pictures   https://onedrive.live.com/
then they are saved online whatever happens to your comp.....and you can access them from any computer, just logg in. same logg in as you use for your hotmail account

http://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+skydrive&go=&qs=n&form=QBLH&filt=all&pq=what+is+skydrive&sc=2-16&sp=-1&sk=

Alternative: droppbox https://www.dropbox.com/

That would be a good idea but for one thing .............. -midnight cannot log in to her PC ............ it will not boot.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 08:54:28 AM »
That would be a good idea but for one thing .............. -midnight cannot log in to her PC ............ it will not boot.
yes....the trick is to backup before s**** happens    ;)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Always Be Kind
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
Yes, I should have done a backup but since my computer isn't 2 months old yet I didn't even think about it messing up so soon.  It's till under a warranty so I might send it back to Dell and have it repaired.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Yes, I should have done a backup but since my computer isn't 2 months old yet I didn't even think about it messing up so soon.
it does not have to be a computer problem.... flooding, lightning strike, tornado, house burned down......
if you have online backup it will still be online waiting for you to logg in

it is part of your hotmail account, try it, enter your hotmail logg in here and you are in  https://onedrive.live.com/

you can also access it from your hotmail account, see screenshot 4 here .....use arrow to the right of the pic
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/31/3201589/outlook-com-webmail-screenshots

screenshot 4 will show the skydrive icon

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Always Be Kind
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 02:12:07 AM »
With the help of a Dell Support Tech I was able to start using my Windows 8.1 computer.   :)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 02:26:48 AM »
Good. What did they find wrong with it and what was the solution?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:31:45 AM by Charyb »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Always Be Kind
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 03:37:51 AM »
Good. What did they find wrong with it and what was the solution?

The Tech didn't say anything was wrong with it.  He just told me how to hook it up and after I turned it on he took control of my PC and set up all of my programs.  I didn't even lose my pictures.  I did have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 which took forever but everything is fine now.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 04:15:33 AM »
Well, I'm glad it is working and you didn't lose any data.

Don't forget to create backups asap.

Windows 8.0 has got backup tools such as system image and file history that you could use. Also, don't forget to sync to the cloud as mentioned by Pondus earlier.

I had my Windows 7 laptop fail a few months ago with no warning. It had all my sentimental photographs on it and all my important documents. I have my stuff backed up several different ways so I was not too worried about getting it back. If I had no backups, I would have been devastated losing all my family pics.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:20:44 AM by Charyb »