Author Topic: Avast is locking up the PC  (Read 26324 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast is locking up the PC
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2003, 08:45:58 PM »
It is hard to say of course, but if you uninstalled an application right before the problems occurred, is it possible that the uninstaller removed some important file or changed some (registry) settigns (e.g. mantra discovered that an uninstaller app moved avast startup items from one registry key to another).

You don't happen to remember the information on the bluescreen, do you? If it's a very low address (0000xxxx) and if the bluescreen appears when loading the desktop... well, it reminds me of a problem I encountered many times personally (and which has absolutely nothing to do with avast - just windows). The symptoms are similar - blue screen when the desktop is loading... Solution: boot to DOS and delete the file ShellIconCache from windows directory (it's not important and will be recreated the next time you start windows). Well, just a wild guess - Win9x seem to have some general problems with icons. Anyway, if the bluescreen appears again, try to write down the info from there.

When I see your configuration, you can also try to disable the scanning of created/modified files as well. But if it works now, there's no points there... only if the problem reappears, disabling parts of the protection may suggest where the problem could be.

Of course, it's more secure to have additional files listed in the "scan files on open" box (e.g. HT* could be useful); I didn't suggest it as a solution - but only to check if it helps.

As for the updated files: I'm sorry, but I was very busy with the coding and testing (the mentioned Standard Shield changes, and also the Virus Cleaner) - and I forgot to put them online :(. So, we'd have to wait till Monday when I get back to work (unless Vlk manages to compile & upload them somewhere).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2003, 02:31:20 PM »
OK, the new Standard Shield files can be downloaded from here. The changes done should improve the compatibility with some nasty "copy-protections"; no intentional bugfixes have been done, so I doubt it will help in your case. On the other hand, the hooking mechanism has changed, so it may have some (hopefully positive) effect.

If other experienced users running Win9x want to test, they're welcome.

The zip file includes two files that have to be replaced in avast installation directory (both the files need to be replaced; replacing only one of them will certainly not work). While the VXD file can be replaced directly from Windows, the other one (DLL) will be locked when avast is running and will have to replaced in DOS mode, or using the wininit.ini file.
Of course, it's wise to backup the original files.
Note that the automatic avast updater would probably "fix" the files back to the original ones when it connects to our servers to check for update.

BanziBaby

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2003, 04:11:40 PM »
Hi igor :)

I tried the two files U mentioned, avast was still disabled so it was just a case of copying them over, they didnt make any difference in my case, after Avast had froze it 9 times in a row, i decided to reformat yesterday, so far there has been no sign of the problems, but opera has frozen twice :(Im just wondering if that might be a fault with the new final version ???

SO to recap, new setup, avast is working fine, no freezes on startup, i reinstalled the same way i had before, ie windows, then firewall & antivirus, then windows updates & then basic apps this time i made an image of the drive)so if it goes wrong, just restore that instead of losing whole day to microsux lol

Could Avast team maybe check a win98se setup with opera 7.21 final, just incase there is a hook or somethin, opera is my main browser(i hate IE) im just curious to know if it operas fault or avasts :)

Once again thank to all that helped me, it was greatly appreciated, & igor U now have another karma :)

Cheers

BaNzI ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2003, 04:34:50 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that the freezing happened again. No bluescreens this time? Did the freeze occur always right after reboot, or only after some time of work (i.e. long enough to destroy some unsaved work?)

If the problem accurs again and e.g. your system starts to freeze on every start, you can try to rename the avast folder from DOS, thus preventing it to load. Even if the system starts without problem after that change, it won't mean for sure that it's avast problem (the startup order of the applications changes, which could result in anything), but it could give us a hint.

How did Opera freeze? On start, when you accessed a specific page, randomly...?
I personally found Opera 7.20 too buggy (crashed very often for me) - so I downgraded to the previous one (7.05?) - which is the most stable browser I ever had. I didn't try 7.21 yet though...

BanziBaby

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2003, 06:32:06 PM »
Hi igor :)

Sorry about the delay in replying, been kinda busy lol, anyways the lockups are much less frequent now, have only had the freeze on startup once so far, a couple of lockups buring reboot/shutdown & only a few with IE6 & Opera :)

The freeze would occur as the desktop was loading, ie Kerio 2.15 would load, but at the end of the loading process (ie as Avast was loading)that was when it would happen.I have tested it & it seems random in the lockups, ie it would run ok for a long time then bang IE would freeze opening a page or Opera would freeze before it had even opened it window.If i then used ctrl+alt+del, then when i clicked on end task it would say closing & just sit at that & not move so i had to do a reset.

When i was having the probs, i used msconfig to disable Avast & the probs went away.

I have 2 questions if U dont mind

1) Is it safe to remove the startup entry for ashdisp as i read here that it shouldnt be loaded on win9x (i use 98se) or will it cause probs
2)I just cant seem to get the smtp authentication to work using the mail wizard, if i use it, when i try to send mail (recieving is ok)it pops up the little name & password box, i have tried leaving the password bit empty, but when i click ok, it just pops up again a second or two later.SO to send mail i have to edit the UseDefaultSmtp=0 to a 1 & then terminate the mail provider & then restart it & then reboot.So my question is what should be in that popup box in the name bit it says #smtp.**********.co.uk ( i edited out the name) with the password empty.I would like to use it as it is intended, but try as i might i cant stop that popup box when using SMTP authentication

Many thanks again to all that helped & i hope i can find the answer to my questions :)

Cheers

BaNzI ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2003, 07:18:43 PM »
Yes, it is safe to remove the ashdisp startup entry.

I'm afraid I won't help you with the second question... I don't know much about email settings; hopefully some other experts appear soon.

Walker

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2003, 08:23:58 PM »
Sorry Banzi, I haven't followed the entire thread  :-[ is this what you mean (add the user name?):-

username#smtp.**********.co.uk

Walker.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 08:25:07 PM by Walker »

BanziBaby

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2003, 03:22:25 PM »
Hi Walker :)

What i mean is if i use the mail wizard & protect my accounts, then when i try to send mail, it constantly pops up the username & password box, the name bit has #smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, the password bit is blank, if i click ok, it pops back up, if i enter my account password, it pops back up

So to send mail, i have to edit the avast4.ini file changing UseDefaultSMTP=0 to a 1, then terminate/start the mail provider, then reboot, i have 4 accounts (1 main 1 & 3 aliases) all have the same details apart from mail addy, this feature has only ever worked once for me, i have to change it to be able to send mail (outlook express6) I am also tryin Mozilla 1.5, but i set up the protection manually in that.So if i leave it as it is, i cant send mail, if i change it, i can, im just curious as to why it was changed to use that & am i losing any protection by not using it :)

Cheers

BaNzI ;D

Walker

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2003, 03:56:54 PM »
What i mean is if i use the mail wizard & protect my accounts, then when i try to send mail, it constantly pops up the username & password box, the name bit has #smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, the password bit is blank, BaNzI ;D

Hi BaNzi,

Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong... I've never had the a username/password box pop up... or are you referring to the Windows dial up one? in which case we're talking about a Dial Up Networking configuration... yes?

Whatever, is your smtp really just showing... #smtp.blueyonder.co.uk ??? and not username#smtp.blueyonder.co.uk ???

Have you tried turning of Avast's 'protect new accounts' feature and doing a manual configuration as per Avast's help files?. It might be worth just setting up a second copy of one of your accounts manually. What is in Avast4.ini under [MailScanner] section?.

I'm only really thinking aloud with all of this, I don't use OE but initially I can't understand your smtp setting   without a username :)

Walker.

BanziBaby

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2003, 04:50:41 PM »

I have attached an image of the box i mean, i have just tried seeting them up manually, but the result is the same, it just keeps popping up that damn box every second or two ??? ??? ???

I never use the protect all accounts manually after reading here that sometimes it can cause probs, all Avast does is put in #smtp.blueyonder.co.uk & sometimes leaves the password box empty or it is filled  ??? ??? ???

Would really like it if Avast team could comment on this :)

Cheers

BaNzI ;D

Walker

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2003, 05:15:37 PM »
Would really like it if Avast team could comment on this :)

Hopefully they will soon BaNzi  :) Sorry I have no other idea's  :'( except that username thing  :-\.

Good luck,
Walker

BanziBaby

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2003, 06:40:30 PM »

I did try putting my username in front of the #smtp bit, but it made no difference, i wasnt saying i hope Avast team can help cause i didnt like Ur help, it just that i want to try & get this fixed quickly, so no offence meant m8 :)

Cheers

BaNzI ;D

Walker

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2003, 07:05:28 PM »
Hi BaNzi,

Absolutely no offence taken  :) . I just wish I had experienced that problem (now that sounds dopey eh  :) ) so that I could relay a remedy or something  ;)

I'll go back and read all of the thread and see if anything comes to mind, but I don't want to interfere with the A team or Techie and Technical joining in  :)

One quick ?... that screen you've captured... is it a 'network logon' or 'DUN' ?

Walker.

If nothing else, this all keeps your problem at the top of the forum list  ;) :)

BanziBaby

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2003, 07:22:12 PM »

The screenshot is what appears when i try to send mail, recieving mail works ok, just sending it that pops up that litle box, its an outlook express dialog box, i have tried it with just the #smtp bit & also with my username#smtp, still the same :(

All im really tryin to find out is what should be in the username & password boxes, else i have to use the UseDefaultSmtp=1 in Avast4.ini ??? ??? ???

Cheers for the help

BaNzI ;D

Walker

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2003, 10:06:22 AM »
Hi Banzi,

Did you resolve yet ?.

Hopefully the A team are around today.  ;) ;) ;)