Author Topic: Free Avast Corrupts IE Browser  (Read 5436 times)

KurtTX

Free Avast Corrupts IE Browser
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »
I didn't see this discussed...sorry if I missed it.

I'm currently running program 2014.9.0.2008.  I recently upgraded the program but found that my IE 10 browser windows were corrupt...boxes didn't display, some of the graphics were pixelized...several websites that I usually visit were this way.  Some webpages wouldn't load.  I'm running Win7.  I restored to the setpoint prior to the upgrade, now everything is fine.

I've never had this happen before...have been using Avast a number of years.  Any idea what's going on?

Kurt

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Free Avast Corrupts IE Browser
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
Why are you on such an old version ??? the current is 2014.9.0.2013, if you still get any browser problems after installing the latest version try removing the browser protection module " AOS " avast online security.

KurtTX

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »
I didn't think this was such an old version.  Doesn't the leading "2014" indicate it is this year??  I've been upgrading whenever prompted.  Again, this hasn't happened before...why now?

Kurt

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »
Your version listed there came out mid last year 2013, 2015 will be release later this year.

I don't know why it hasn't played up before, maybe it doesn't like the recent windows updates :-\  best to install the latest version anyway and then see if you still have problems http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145192.0

KurtTX

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »
When I go to the Avast control panel and click on update for the program, it says that 2014.9.0.2013 is available.  That is what I upgraded to yesterday only to have my browser windows corrupted.  I went backwards to the set point, leaving me at 2014.9.0.2008.

Your link takes me to the discussion of 9.0.2013 which, I thought, I had already tried.  Are there intermediate upgrades between .2008 and .2013 that I should have done first?

Kurt

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:42:22 PM »
You can update straight to the latest version, download from the link I supplied and choose custom install then untick the browser protection ( AOS ) as that is more than likely the problem, it messes up some of my webpages in IE11 as well.

G0bekl1Tepe

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:13:09 AM »
Upgraded to 2014 through Avast link a few days ago on the review in PC Pro, weird crashes/effects  on IE browser, went back to 2013.

KurtTX

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:28:39 AM »
You can update straight to the latest version, download from the link I supplied and choose custom install then untick the browser protection ( AOS ) as that is more than likely the problem, it messes up some of my webpages in IE11 as well.

Well that didn't work either!!!  I went to your link and selected the free antivirus link in the first post and got the same thing...even unchecked the browser protection.  My browser windows were corrupted and pages didn't load.  I had to go back to the prior restore point.

I'm kind of stuck.  If this can't be resolved, I guess my only choice is to move to another AV program.   :-\

Kurt
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:30:34 AM by KurtTX »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:25:55 AM »
Very strange! is there any other security software installed? if there is no other security that might conflict then I would suggest doing a clean install by uninstalling your current version then reboot and run the avastclear tool http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe which will automatically reboot the system to safe mode when run, make sure to run the tool for all versions of avast ever installed.

Once that is completed and rebooted back to normal mode then go forward with doing a custom install of the latest version.

KurtTX

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 12:51:02 PM »
No other AV programs that I'm aware of.  As I said, I've been a using of Avast for 3-4 years now and have gone through several upgrades without a single problem.

Hmmm...sounds like a lot of hassle...I'm not all that comfortable with these types of things.  Safe mode...uninstall critical programs...clearing tools.  I'm OK with computers for the normal operations, but I'll have to think about that.

Kurt

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
The tool is pretty automated, you just choose the version to be cleaned via the dropdown tab and away it goes, once completed install the new version.

DirkB

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
I was having this issue with the previous update, missing parts of pages, pixelated images, pages that wouldn't load. Along with this problem I was getting an occasional BSOD when connected to my router webpage, which was also displaying with corruption. At first I thought it was the router as the ISP had recently put out a firmware update, but after typing up a very angry message to them I thought to disable Avast, problem solved. Clean installs of Avast and using the avastclear tool did not help. Same problems on IE11 and Chrome.
Turns out it was the new Web Shield acting up. I had to add

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

to the webshield.ini as mentioned by a moderator here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144850.msg1051475#msg1051475 and all my problems were fixed, despite that fix being for another problem entirely.

I'm sorry to hear people are suffering from the same/similar problems. I'm refusing to update Avast again until I know this has been fixed, an AV shouldn't be causing issues with basic functionality and shouldn't be crashing properly configured systems.

Now I have to go and check why a realitve's Avast update has stopped all of their facebook games from working

KurtTX

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 12:28:04 AM »
I'm refusing to update Avast again until I know this has been fixed, an AV shouldn't be causing issues with basic functionality and shouldn't be crashing properly configured systems.

Thanks...I feel the same way.  A simple update shouldn't do these kinds of things to my machine.

Kurt

Paul_D

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »
LOL. You could always switch to a decent browser.

Have you checked your IE Add-ons to ensure that avast! Online Security is not enabled?

KurtTX

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 01:49:14 AM »
Have you checked your IE Add-ons to ensure that avast! Online Security is not enabled?

Not sure who this is directed to.  But Craig suggested that I untick the AOS box during a custom install.  That didn't work.  If that's what you're referring to...

OK...I've found the place to "Manage Add-ons".  Most are disabled, but a few are enabled.  What do I do to "ensure that avast! Online Security is not enabled"...what does that mean?

Kurt
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:54:23 AM by KurtTX »