Author Topic: Problem with Safe Zone (SOLVED)  (Read 2366 times)

bilnrobn1

Problem with Safe Zone (SOLVED)
« on: March 01, 2014, 07:57:25 AM »
I am currently moving from an XP computer to one with Vista. Everything has gone smoothly and my Avast! Pro is working fine too, with one exception. When I exit Safe Zone the computer becomes unresponsive. Buttons and links don't work and eventually it says Windows Explorer is not responding. It tries to repair it but the indicator just keeps going around indefinitely and the only option is to turn it off at the wall. Once rebooted everything works fine again as long as I don't go to Safe Zone, which seems to work OK too. It is just when I leave it that I have the problem.

Bill in Oz.
OS: Vista, Browser: Firefox, AV: Avast Pro & Malwarebytes.
Firewall: Windows, RAM: 2.5 gig, Hard drive: 291 gig with 200 free.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:59:52 AM by bilnrobn1 »

bilnrobn1

Re: Problem with Safe Zone
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:18:11 AM »
I'm not sure if this is connected to the problem, but when I go to SafeZone and enter any site I have listed there I get multiple messages. Here is one of them...

"The C:\sfzone_profile\Default\Session Storage\000021.sst folder does not exist. This file may have been removed or deleted. Do you want to recreate it?"

If I click "Yes" the message just keeps repeating endlessly. If I click "No" then the message repeats, but refers to 000021, then 22, 33 and then Manifest 000020 followed by 32. If I click "No" on each of these it then returns to the site page I was accessing and all works fine until I leave SafeZone, upon which it crashes the computer every time.

From there on the problem is as described in my first post.

Bill in Oz
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:29:33 AM by bilnrobn1 »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:25:57 AM »
Try resetting the safezone:

avast! UI > Settings > Active Protection > Safe Zone > (click wrench icon) > [find] Reset Safezone
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

bilnrobn1

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:37:33 AM »
When I try that At "Active Protection" here is what I get. There is no SafeZone option.

(Note I modified my previous post to give clearer detail.)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:40:02 AM by bilnrobn1 »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 02:41:42 AM »
It's not located in 'Active Protection' it is located in "TOOLS" :)

bilnrobn1

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:59:13 AM »
Thanks guys! Between the two of you I think you've fixed it. I've only tried once, but it didn't crash the computer when I left so I guess it is fixed.

Much appreciated.

Bill in Oz

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Problem with Safe Zone (SOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 03:02:50 AM »
Good to hear ;)