Author Topic: Free Avast Corrupts IE Browser  (Read 5435 times)

Paul_D

Re: Free Avast Corrupts IE Browser
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 01:58:02 AM »
Have you checked your IE Add-ons to ensure that avast! Online Security is not enabled?

Not sure who this is directed to.  But Craig suggested that I untick the AOS box during a custom install.  That didn't work.  If that's what you're referring to...

I'm not sure I know what is an IE add-on.  I don't recall adding anything.  I always uncheck whenever an installation wants to add a google bar or things like that.  As far as I know, I'm fairly clean in that regard.  But maybe I have something I don't know about???

Kurt
Directed to you. Avast installs the Add-on, not you.

Humour me. Just do it.

Open IE > Tools > Manage Add-ons

Are there any lines there for "avast! Online Security?" If so, is the status "Enabled" or "Disabled"? If it is "Enabled" change it to "Disabled". Right click anywhere on the entry and select "Disable" from the drop menu.

Then close and restart your browser and see if your problem persists.

If the status is "Disabled" or the entry is not there, then that's not the problem, and I'll butt out.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 02:01:34 AM »
If the OP has Unchecked "Browser Protection" during Custom Install as Craigb directed, there will be no Avast Online Security listed in the Add-ons. :)

KurtTX

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 02:15:21 AM »
Are there any lines there for "avast! Online Security?"

No.

Kurt

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:59 AM »
Have you tried resetting Internet Explorer to default?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

KurtTX

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 02:45:34 AM »
Have you tried resetting Internet Explorer to default?

No...I've just now read about it.  It says "Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after the reset."  It's not clear what sort of personal settings will be lost in doing that.  It also says:

"Note Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data."

So, it appears that I would be able to save some things after the reset.

Kurt

Paul_D

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 03:25:58 AM »
Edit: My apologies. That was meant to be a response to this post from schmidthouse:-

If the OP has Unchecked "Browser Protection" during Custom Install as Craigb directed, there will be no Avast Online Security listed in the Add-ons.
I am fully aware of that. But it never hurts to check.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:30:38 AM by Paul_D »

Paul_D

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 03:31:37 AM »
Are there any lines there for "avast! Online Security?"

No.

Kurt
OK. That's my idea busted. Sorry I couldn't help more.