Author Topic: unknown pack error  (Read 5609 times)

bernie_m

unknown pack error
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »
Hi,

Just tried Avast for the first time on Linux Mint 16 Petra.

First scan of an external hardrive used on a Windows machine reveals no viruses but there are several errors shown below

Can anyone tell me what "Unknown pack version" means  ?

Can anyone tell me what the 12 digit numbers are  after the files scanned, and "infected files"  found labels ? It clearly isn't really the number of files scanned.

Thanks

Bernie M

/media/bernard/TOSHIBA EXT//vnc-P4_6_3-x86_x64_win32.exe/{embedded}\setup.exe [E] Unknown pack version
/media/bernard/TOSHIBA EXT/winscp514setup.exe/{embedded}\setup.exe [E] Unknown pack version
/media/bernard/TOSHIBA EXT//WKdemo_setup.exe/Inno0001.bin [E] Unknown pack version
/media/bernard/TOSHIBA EXT//CCW RAYNET Messenger v1.12/raynet_messenger_setup v1.12.exe/{embedded}\setup.exe [E] Unknown pack version
/media/bernard/TOSHIBA EXT//Program Files/RealVNC/VNC4/vnc-mirror-1_8_0-x86_x64_win32.exe/{embedded}\setup.exe [E] Unknown pack version
/media/bernard/TOSHIBA EXT/Program Files/RealVNC/VNC4/vnc-printer-1_7_0-x86_x64_win32.exe/{embedded}\setup.exe [E] Unknown pack version
Infected files: 450971566080
Total files: 450971721521
Total folders: 450971567985
Total size: 3146.3 MiB

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: unknown pack error
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
Why scanning a windows drive from linux?
Is/was there a problem with the drive?
If so what problem(s)?
Is the drive mounted and file system detected correctly?

bernie_m

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
Thank you for your very speedy reply.

In this particular case I am scanning the windows external hard drive as a practice run because a friend of mine has a similar seriously affected drive which he will be passing on to me to have a look at later. I'm not actually expecting to find viruses or errors on my own drive.

In the past I've used ClamAV for this kind of thing but was curious to try Avast as I have heard good things about it.

The drive appears to be mounted properly, normal disk related linux commands seem to operate well and the GUI file browser seems to operate well.

BTW I noticed a request from the moderator to search for problem solutions  before posting. I always do this and rarely find the need to post, but in this case haven't found anything relating to this error - apologies if I've missed it somewhere.

Thanks again for your interest and support.

Bernie M

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »
"Unknown pack version"
I checked the files you mentioned and the windows version of avast doesn't have a problem with them (strangely enough?).
The files are packed with the Inno Script Studio (software to create installer packages).
I don't know for sure, but it can be that has something to do with it.
Most windows install packages are created with InstallShield or NSIS.

About the number of files/folders, I have no clue.
Well almost no clue ;)
Perhaps it has something to do with scanning a windows drive from within Linux and/or because it is a external drive.
If it is a 3 Tb drive, at least the size is reported correctly.
I would not worry too much about the files/folders if the size is correct.

I don't know if someone from avast or someone who knows more about this issue will respond before you go scan your friends drive...
But to me it looks like you can do so without a problem.

Alternatives are:
- hookup the drive in a clean system as slave/second drive and scan it.
- hookup his system to the router (if you have one) and scan over the network.
- create a bootable cd/dvd with windows and put avast on it and scan from that.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me what "Unknown pack version" means  ?

This means avast can not unpack the file (it's a windows installer) and the reason is, you are using an
obsolete avast version. The latest avast! for linux (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145973.0)
can unpack the file without problems and has much better scan capabilities (equivalent with the latest avast!
for windows products) than the 7 years old version you are using.

Can anyone tell me what the 12 digit numbers are  after the files scanned, and "infected files"  found labels ? It clearly isn't really the number of files scanned.

The numbers should be what they are called, but there is obviously a bug there. As already said, use the latest avast version.

bernie_m

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:07 PM »

Thanks guys for providing the info - this is one really top notch forum.

All understood now. Unfortunately I'm runing on 32 bit architecture (I know, I know., but one of the beauties of Linux is that my old laptops are quite lively on it).  I'll need to wait until the 32 bit  version is released.

In the meantime, I certainly don't want to run a 7 year old virus scanner, even if it is on a 7 year old laptop !  I'll keep an eye on things and update scanner and or laptop when I can.

Thanks again for explaining all.

Cheers

Berrnie M.

MAG

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:06:18 PM »
You probably already know this, but in the interim other linux scanners, besides Clam and Avast are available that should run on your machine. I've run Comodo and Bitdefender on 32 bit Ubuntu, so they'd likely run on Mint since it's Ubuntu based.

(Comodo won't run in real time with kernels beyond 3.5, but it will still scan).