Author Topic: avast detecting a secure connection and blocking user to access Outlook  (Read 1546 times)

Anmare

Out of the blue Avast is now giving one of my users this message when she is trying to use Outlook :

"avast! has detected a secure connection from your mail program (process runddl32.exe) to the SMTP server 64.78.61.104 (intermedia.net)

This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses.  Please disalbe SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the Mail Scanner can scan your mail. The Mail Scanner will provide the SSL/TLS security itself."

Her Outlook profile somehow disappeared and she had to create a new Outlook profile, something we've done hundreds of times.

Why now and what is this? We use Office365.

Hope someone can help me quick!

much appreciated

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: avast detecting a secure connection and blocking user to access Outlook
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »
This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses.  Please disalbe SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the Mail Scanner can scan your mail. The Mail Scanner will provide the SSL/TLS security itself."
this is related to older versions of avast that could not scan mail accounts that requier SSL/TLS connection

soultion is to....sett it up so it can scan it.... if you want to
(all microsoft mail accounts are protected by TrendMicro on the mailserver)

or in mail settings uncheck a setting so you dont have to see that popup warning..... cant remember the correct wording there

another solution is to upgrade to a newer avast version

some info here.   http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?q=ssl#searchForm

Anmare

Re: avast detecting a secure connection and blocking user to access Outlook
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »
Thanks a great deal for the info. I'll advice the user accordingly.