Author Topic: Big issue from Avast causing my system to be unusable (Win 8.1)  (Read 14626 times)

venomreleaser

Big issue from Avast causing my system to be unusable (Win 8.1)
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:21 AM »
Within the last week I purchased and built a brand new computer. Everything is running great and Windows 8.1 is really starting to grow on me. Dare I say that I even like the metro start screen :O

Anyway, I have been a longtime user of Avast and currently have a paid license for internet security through September of 2014.

After installing Windows and getting all my drivers updated, I went ahead and installed Avast's newest version (9.0.2013) and everything seemed to be working just fine. After doing restarts of the system everything still worked with no issues.

The problem came after I shutdown the computer for the night. The next day when loading everything up, after logging in Windows would "hang" as in many of my startup programs, including Avast, would not load. The task manager, control panel, command prompt, etc. were also hanging and refused to even open. Windows updates would not install and after resetting via that app the system was unusable completely (I couldn't even login or get Windows to load) I tried resetting multiple times with no effect. I freaked out and tried system restores and even reformatting. After several attempts I was finally able to determine that the issue is Avast.

I am currently using my PC with only Windows Defender/Firewall running as I cannot use the Avast system. Currently I can shutdown and I ran the Windows updates without any issues. I have 100% confirmed that the problem stems from Avast.

I have sent tickets into support and have not gotten a reply after several days. My next step is what I am doing now, reaching out to the forum community.

I would really appreciate a working anti-virus program and if that cannot be provided, I wish to have a refund processed as I cannot use a program that I legitimately paid for.

Prior thanks to anyone who can help.

EDIT: The problem only occurs when I shutdown the system. After installing Avast, if I do a restart it works fine. I have tested this multiple times and just did another system restore to before installing Avast in the last half hour. Again I can confirm Avast is the issue here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:30:47 AM by venomreleaser »

venomreleaser

Re: Big issue from Avast causing my system to be unusable (Win 8.1)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
This is on a clean install ie brand new pc with absolutely nothing on it. It doesn't work no matter how many times I reinstall it.

guestja

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:38 PM »
It believe what is being suggested is that your version of Avast may be corrupt. If you haven't already; download the avast uninstall utility, and a new version of the avast software. Uninstall your current Avast, use the uninstall tool, and reinstall the new version.

venomreleaser

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
I've already done that. I've downloaded and installed from two separate locations, both the online downloader from the main avast site and the direct standalone link from the release thread here on the forums. Exact same results. Anytime I shut down my pc, upon rebooting the issue persists.

EDIT: Keep in mind that one I shutdown I literally can't do anything. I can only get my pc working via a system restore point that I manually set for right before installing avast so there is nothing avast related on my pc before the install. And once installed everything works great and I've confirmed to be updated to the newest version via the settings. To run a test I shut the pc down just after installing And sure enough nothing worked after reboot. I ran system restore from my windows CD and everything was working again sans avast.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:50:06 PM by venomreleaser »

Alievitan

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:41:57 PM »
I've already done that. I've downloaded and installed from two separate locations, both the online downloader from the main avast site and the direct standalone link from the release thread here on the forums. Exact same results. Anytime I shut down my pc, upon rebooting the issue persists.

EDIT: Keep in mind that one I shutdown I literally can't do anything. I can only get my pc working via a system restore point that I manually set for right before installing avast so there is nothing avast related on my pc before the install. And once installed everything works great and I've confirmed to be updated to the newest version via the settings. To run a test I shut the pc down just after installing And sure enough nothing worked after reboot. I ran system restore from my windows CD and everything was working again sans avast.

Just clarification on my part, system restore via windows won't remove all of avast.  Like most AVs, Avast has a self protection module that will resist any third party program from uninstalling it, so traces of Avast most likely will still be there even after a system restore.  That is also my personal experience in the past. 

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

If you haven't done so, run the uninstall utility, which will scrub your system of Avast then try reinstalling.   Uninstalling it from the control panel is not enough.  Just to fully rule out a bad Avast install.

venomreleaser

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »
I understand what you're saying, but how does that relate to doing an entire reformatting of the hard drive? I'm talking 100% clean slate of my ssd then installing avast and having the issue take place again. This is why I don't think it's an issue with simply a bad installation

EDIT: I used the uninstaller and tried again just in case. Nope, same result.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:33:57 AM by venomreleaser »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:40 AM »
What I'm not getting is I have had Avast installed on my W8 and now 8.1 without any issues on an OS, that in comparison to the OP's is very busy (many programs installed) and more opportunity to conflict.
Very odd. ???

ZtrydR

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:34:29 AM »
I have the exact same issue. I too have an SSD (Samsung EVO 840).

It happens exactly like he says. Install avast, shut down, then suddenly Windows is broken.

venomreleaser

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 03:36:51 AM »
What I'm not getting is I have had Avast installed on my W8 and now 8.1 without any issues on an OS, that in comparison to the OP's is very busy (many programs installed) and more opportunity to conflict.
Very odd. ???

Yup, I'm lost on the subject. I mean maybe it could be a startup program conflict, but I only have the things running that came with the hardware.

Here's a list of what runs at startup:
NZXT Kraken Control
Logitech Gaming Software 8.51.5
Asus ROG GameFirst II
Asus AI Suite
Asus EZUpdate
Asus WiFi Engine
Bluetooth Devices
RealTek HD Audio Manager
Intel RapidStore Technology
NVIDIA GeForce Experience

I feel like it can't be a startup conflict because when I reset the computer, everything still works and boots without issue. The problem only arises after shutting down. I have fastboot disabled in both the BIOS and Control Panel.

venomreleaser

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 03:37:24 AM »
I have the exact same issue. I too have an SSD (Samsung EVO 840).

It happens exactly like he says. Install avast, shut down, then suddenly Windows is broken.

I'm running the exact same SSD @ 250gb

ZtrydR

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 03:38:51 AM »
I have the 750 GB version so I am assuming it is an issue with that SSD series. My system startup items are basically the same as yours minus the NZXT and ROG software and then add steam.

venomreleaser

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:42:20 AM »
I have the 750 GB version so I am assuming it is an issue with that SSD series. My system startup items are basically the same as yours minus the NZXT and ROG software and then add steam.

At least we might finally be getting somewhere. I know it's not an issue with the SSD itself as Samsung Magician reports everything is in perfect health. I forgot to add Steam to the list, I can't ignore that wonderful program ^_^.

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »
Very odd. ???

Yup, I'm lost on the subject. I mean maybe it could be a startup program conflict, but I only have the things running that came with the hardware.

I have fastboot disabled in both the BIOS and Control Panel.

and what happens if you reinstate fast boot ?  ;)

nogeeks.org

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
I have a similar problem on a mature Vista installation! When upgrading to V9 from V8, this pc was unusable. You could boot up, but Explorer would hang. Usually you can restart explorer.exe via Task Manager, but even that did nothing. System Restore would not resolve the problem and bring the system back to a usable pre-update state (You would also have to run the Avast uninstall program to completely wipe the bad V9 upgrade). So for now, V8 remains...

ZtrydR

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 12:04:26 AM »
Very odd. ???

I have fastboot disabled in both the BIOS and Control Panel.

and what happens if you reinstate fast boot ?  ;)

The same thing would happen. I have fast boot enabled as I never got around to turning that off.