Author Topic: Big issue from Avast causing my system to be unusable (Win 8.1)  (Read 14546 times)

venomreleaser

Re: Big issue from Avast causing my system to be unusable (Win 8.1)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 12:11:29 AM »
Yup, same results

I really wish someone from avast would actually respond to this. My ticket remains unanswered and nothing yet on the forum. It's getting a bit ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:35:44 AM by venomreleaser »

venomreleaser

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
Well, I got a response from my ticket to absolutely no effect. They wanted me to run a repair and reinstall to the latest version, which I already did. The they asked for me to run task manager to check cpu usage. Did they even read my ticket or just give me a generic response?

I can't even get into task manager after I reboot. Ugh this is so frustrating. I emailed them back of course.

occin

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
Just wondering if this is still happening to you or if you managed to fix it. I started having this same problem almost 2 months ago as well. Brand new build and submitted a ticket was told that it would be fixed in the next version of avast. I'm assuming updates have come out and so after 2 months I've gone ahead and reinstalled and what do you know... Still happening. Any fix for this?

I've formatted windows, downloaded fresh install files, ran the cleaner once it happened and done everything that I can think of any suggestions?

AdrianH

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
If you have the Asus suite, that is known to cause conflicts with antivirus software ( and other apps /drivers), causing BDOD and crashes.

Many people could not install Bitdefender with the Asus suite installed.  Advice is to remove that Asus suite.

occin

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »
I've tried with the Asus Suite uninstalled on a fresh install of windows and it still doesnt work.

Alievitan

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
I had Asus Suite II and it ran with no problems with Avast.  I think there are version  I,II, III so I can't say about the other ones.

occin

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »
anyone have any ideas?

Newport

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 12:18:14 AM »
From what I have learned lately with UEFI and fastboot enabled you are attempting to boot using a system image file from your last working install..

try
-turn fast boot off
-now you should see a boot order
-make sure your first boot is Windows 8 EFI

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 01:57:35 AM »
Maybe it's a silly question but how long did you keep the PC hang? I used to see similar issue during early development of 9R1 and it helped to either disable WebShield and/or wait few minutes (like 15 or so). If it helps, then perhaps we didn't eradicate this bug as we thought.

occin

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »
oh indefinitely it just hangs after start up. I left it over night it gets into windows eventually but it wont load the taskbar or startmenu items. None of my startup programs run either.

I've also done this with a clean install of nothing but windows and drivers. Same issue.

I'm running an i7 4770k, asus rog maximus hero, 16gb ddr3 1866mhz, gtx780ti, and my hdd for th os is an intel 180gb ssd. I dunno if that makes any difference for anything.

csbear

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 05:01:13 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am also seeing this exact issue today as well. Upon booting up to my Win 8.1 desktop almost every application I use is "hung up." Even Task Manager does not start up during the hang. It takes a few minutes before I can use anything and it is definitely Avast (Internet Security) causing the issue. I know because as soon as the Avast app does start running again, all my other applications (Steam, Chrome, IE, Windows system apps, etc) start working again immediately after.

I have seen this issue once before, but it has been a long while. There was a big Windows 8.1 update last night, but I'm not sure if that is part of the cause.

Edit: I just noticed the "Avast service will not start" thread which also explains this issue. OP posted:  "...noticed the red 'x' over avast in the system tray. I checked to see the problem and it said the avast service is off."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:06:54 AM by csbear »

occin

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 09:54:52 PM »
This issue continues for me there is nothing in the task bar. No x nothing. Please help this has been months now...

keithb

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 08:22:54 PM »
My problem is not as severe - I can't connect to the internet.  I can't wipe it from my system. Win7, 64bit. There doesn't seem to be any clue as to what is going on. I'm looking at a total rebuild. Shockingly ironic.

Foxfan100

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
NOT Win 8 but 7

Win 7 64-bit Ultimate, Avast Internet Security (paid version) 2014.9.0.2018

I have been running Avast on this system without problems for months. Apart from the latest batch of Windows updates on 14th May 2014, there have been no significant changes to my system.

However, Avast has begun "hanging", without warning. This shows itself thus:-
1) A mouse over on the tray icon would normally pop up a blue "all is ok" message, but this no longer happens. Right click on the icon to bring up Avast options doesn't work, so I cannot turn shields off or bring up the UI.
2) Although all tests tell me I am internet-connected, browsers etc will not connect to sites. Another machine, also running this version of Avast on Win 7 Home, has no problem connecting. Obviously traffic goes through Avast, and cannot do so if the program is hung.
3) Windows Explorer seems to stop working, and soft restart is not possible, so I then have to power off the machine.

I have run an Avast repair, and removed a couple of programs that might have been problematic (although they have coexisted for at least a year). Although Avast runs OK after restart, after a while, and independently of anything else, apparently, it again hangs. Windows Explorer seems to stop working, and starting any programs also causes a hang.

I have also run scans with Avast and Malwarebytes plus Windows MSRT, which show no problems. There are no Avast errors that I can see in the Event Log. I have also run all hardware tests and the system passes these.

Interestingly, this has just happened to me again. Having restarted system, I note the following about Avast:-
a)   The animated icon is at present working, but mouseover DOES NOT show the blue “everything OK” popup but a plain text box saying “Avast!Antivirus:your system is secured”.
b)   Right click the icon and nothing happens.
c)   However, running the Avast UI from the desktop shows the full Avast UI screen.

I really have no idea what to do next, other than clear the whole thing out and reinstall Avast Internet Security from scratch, then reinsert my paid licence key.

Any suggestions welcome.

UPDATE

I have removed and reinstalled Avast (minus a lot of the extras like Sandbox etc.) and so far, it is working.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:00:23 PM by Foxfan100 »

RichardB43

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »
Same sort of trouble with Win 7, upgrading Avast from 140519-1 (2014.9.02016). Free version.

Did it last week, and system wouldn't fire up again afterwards, except after restore and in SAFE mode or SAFE with Network mode, after about 2 - 3 hours effort..   But after using it in that mode I forgot about it, and the problem seemed to go away, was bale to shutdown and restart OK.

So being dumb, or brave, or naive (probably all 3) I thought I'd give it another go, when not pressed for time.
  • Hoped the update would have been rectified by now
  • Thought at most, if problem was the same, I could probably resuscitate it same way again in less time

But no. Wasted more than 3 hours this time, to get back to square one. >:(

But one thing I did learn. During start-up in Standard (not Safe) mode, at various stages, there are times when the PC just sits there with no sign of life for up to 15 mins or more as it tries to "heal" itself.  You just have to keep leaving it for a long, long time, and eventually it seems to sort itself out. (A Plus for Win7 over earlier Windows is this ability to often find it's own way out of a hole)

But, after many wasted, frustrating hours, I am still only back to square one. Same outdated version of Avast in place.  :'(

Am I dumb/naive/brave enough to try again, by completely uninstalling Avast, then installing a fresh copy ?  Probably, as it has, to date, been good software (free version). But this kind of problem is a way to lose a reputation fast. If it fails this next time, I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for my AV software. ::)