Author Topic: My Devices - "Attention"  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
My Devices - "Attention"
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:35:18 PM »
(Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1, all updates installed)

avast! Free Antivirus 2014.9.0.2007

When I check My Devices there's an orange shield with an exclamation mark screaming "Attention" because "Some shields are off". I know some shields are off. I disabled (uninstalled actually) Mail Shield myself. Why is avast! warning me me about this? I had shields disabled in previous versions and none of them needed the urge to warn me about this.

--
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 - avast! Free Antivirus 12.2.2276

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: My Devices - "Attention"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:17:28 AM »
What antivirus software did you have previously? Did you use it's uninstall utility/removal tool?

As for your avast software? Did you click repair via add/remove? If you did and still didn't work, please do this uninstall Avast via add/remove, run this http://www.avast.com/en-nz/uninstall-utility.

You also could or at your discretion run this tool http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/ . Run this tool in normal mode (not in safe mode)
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
Go to Settings > Appearance
Scroll down to Status monitoring and ensure the tick is removed from shields that are not in use

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
Go to Settings > Appearance
Scroll down to Status monitoring and ensure the tick is removed from shields that are not in use

I clearly stated that I uninstalled Mail Shield, so there is nothing to check/uncheck. Only File System Shield and Web Shield.

@ Staticguy

I used avast! Free Antivirus 2014.9.0.2006 before upgrading to avast! Free Antivirus 2014.9.0.2007. Before that I used avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497. There was no problem in 9.0.2006.

I tried repairing; it didn't help. As for uninstalling and reinstalling: that's a bit overkill imho. It doesn't bother me that much... Also, I don't believe that will solve the problem... I'll just wait and hope this will be fixed in the next build.
--

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:51 PM »
@Cyberpunk!! I know it's overkill but it's at least a worth a shot at doing that!!!
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:42:17 PM »
I'd suggest deleting it from that Avast account and then re adding it. Have you also rebooted since this issue occured?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:51:49 PM »
So you want me to reinstall on several (at least 4) computers on different locations?

And yes, I rebooted, several times, since this problem occurred. It doesn't help.

Furthermore, I can see my uncle's PC is "secured", but when I look at Info its says: "v You are protected. - Program version is not up to date." (he has 9.0.2006). Then I look at my sister's PC: "v You are protected". Yet, when I look at Info, I can see she has 9.0.2006 installed.

It's obvious there is something very wrong with this feature (the translation are mixed Dutch/English as well) and I doubt that it will be fixed by reinstalling. Maybe if I'm bored I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling in the WE, but as I've said, I don't believe this will make much difference. Hell, maybe I'l reinstall Windows and see if it works then.  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:54:02 PM by Cyberpunk »
--

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:43 PM »
So you want me to reinstall on several (at least 4) computers on different locations?

And yes, I rebooted, several times, since this problem occurred. It doesn't help.

Furthermore, I can see my uncle's PC is "secured", but when I look at Info its says: "v You are protected. - Program version is not up to date." (he has 9.0.2006). Then I look at my sister's PC: "v You are protected". Yet, when I look at Info, I can see she has 9.0.2006 installed.

It's obvious there is something very wrong with this feature (the translation are mixed Dutch/English as well) and I doubt that it will be fixed by reinstalling. Maybe if I'm bored I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling in the WE, but as I've said, I don't believe this will make much difference. Hell, maybe I'l reinstall Windows and see if it works then.  ;) ;) ;)

No... I want you to delete that particular Avast ACCOUNT from that computer (NOT uninstall Avast) and reboot. After the reboot, readd the account. You disconnect the account by Avast>Settings>Disconnect.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »
No... I want you to delete that particular Avast ACCOUNT from that computer (NOT uninstall Avast) and reboot. After the reboot, readd the account. You disconnect the account by Avast>Settings>Disconnect.

Tnx, Alikhan. It worked. Now I need to do the same with my mother's laptop...  ::)
--

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 09:28:03 PM »

Tnx, Alikhan. It worked. Now I need to do the same with my mother's laptop...  ::)

You're welcome.  ;)

Offline leftisthominid

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
Slightly hijacking this thread.

I have noticed that with one of my two laptops, on my device list I get an attention notification when it is off but not when it is on. This does not happen with my desktop or my other laptop. All three have the anti-spam uninstalled.