Author Topic: Help  (Read 8904 times)

Spager

Help
« on: March 13, 2003, 01:49:25 AM »
After my previous post (puzzled) I reran avast and it found a virus (win32 Trojan Gen Other) - Congratulations because AVG and the cleaner (a trojan expert?) found nothing.  It deleted what it could and I used the report to delete most of the others.  Im running Me all patches included.  Avast cannot delete - nor can I, the files in Restore/temp/A0026990.cpy etc.  On rerunning avast it found there were now 21 files in restore temp infected. (itb is growing)  How can / do I remove these without a full reformat?  They are write protected and I cannot change the file attribute.   Btw I believe I have tracked down the source of the original infection - time will tell.  Thank you for a great product.

Spager

Re:Help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 05:18:25 AM »
Spager again - Sorted it - switched of windows restore and rebooted (forcing it to "empty" the restore folder) - did full scan with avast - all clear - switched on windows restore - scanned with avasti - again all clear - seens to be cured (for now <wry smile>)

Thanks for the advice, help and a brilliant product

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 09:47:53 AM »
Spager,

I hope it will solve the problem (but, with respect to the symptoms you have described, still indicate there might be a hardware problem). Let's see in a couple of days...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Spager

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 11:22:30 PM »
Hi Vik - Avast cured the virus but you were right there was an intermittant hardware problem - It was a swine to find but it was the monitor - it was failing to initialise correctly dispite having latest drivers, still it was an old monitor that provided good service - a big hammer cured it  :) - well that and a new monitor  ::)

Thanks again for your help.