Author Topic: How do I get rid of Browser vulnerabilty message  (Read 12424 times)

Bassrock

How do I get rid of Browser vulnerabilty message
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
Evening All,

Can i get rid of this (and don't say hit the fix it button, (i ain't using chrome, using firefox)

mmmm how do i insert image ?? it's not displaying
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:10:24 PM by Bassrock »

AdrianH

Re: How do I get rid of Browser vulnerabilty message
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »
What message, where do you see it? ???

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:57:20 PM »
To post screenshot...below the reply box click "attachments and other options">choose file>click "open">click "post"  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:29:18 PM »
He means this one in the UI see attached or it may also popup on the auto update notification.

The short answer as long as you have XP you are going to get this cr4p, even if you don't use IE8 as your default browser. Unless of course if you swallow the install Chrome cr4p I guess it will stop.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Cybergraphix

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »
I have Chrome installed since years but I still see the message.

Maybe Avast isn't able to detect Chrome?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:22:00 PM by Cybergraphix »

Tetsuo

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:33:24 PM »
The short answer as long as you have XP you are going to get this cr4p, even if you don't use IE8 as your default browser. Unless of course if you swallow the install Chrome cr4p I guess it will stop.

Yeah, you're probably right. I naively believed that clicking on the 'fix it now' button without actually swallowing the install Chrome cr4p would have stopped the pop-cr4p... Obviously I was wrong.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:37 PM »

It's a part of an advertising campaign by avast!, along with the warning pop-ups now issued by Microsoft about the end of Windows Update security support for XP on April 8th, 2014.  So avast! is not looking for an installation of Chrome in the first place.  You've seen the former but not the latter?

Running Chrome really isn't going to fix or lower risk of malware infections, IMO.  Ditching XP will, or running a linux variant and dual booting that for internet use instead of XP, would be better.  That way you get to keep your XP and run a more modern and safer operating system for the Internet.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Cybergraphix

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »
Because I am (as many other people) a well informed and skilled user and aware of the risks and the measures to be taken against them, and because I don't accept in any way the imposition to see an advertising inside a product I have paid, Avast can keep this advertising as it prefers, but Avast now is aware that at the end of actual licence period I will no more subscribe a renew and I will choose another product from some company that better cares comfort and satisfaction of its customers against merely marketing interests.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »

It's a part of an advertising campaign by avast!, along with the warning pop-ups now issued by Microsoft about the end of Windows Update security support for XP on April 8th, 2014.  So avast! is not looking for an installation of Chrome in the first place.  You've seen the former but not the latter?

Running Chrome really isn't going to fix or lower risk of malware infections, IMO.  Ditching XP will, or running a linux variant and dual booting that for internet use instead of XP, would be better.  That way you get to keep your XP and run a more modern and safer operating system for the Internet.

Looking forward to April 9th 2014 to see if my systems immediately gets infected and spontaneously combusts as per the many dire warning of doom to try and get people to upgrade to win8 :P
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »
Because I am (as many other people) a well informed and skilled user and aware of the risks and the measures to be taken against them, and because I don't accept in any way the imposition to see an advertising inside a product I have paid, Avast can keep this advertising as it prefers, but Avast now is aware that at the end of actual licence period I will no more subscribe a renew and I will choose another product from some company that better cares comfort and satisfaction of its customers against merely marketing interests.

The problem being, how does avast know the experience level of every user, it can't.

Cybergraphix

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »
The problem being, how does avast know the experience level of every user, it can't.

Anyway, user must have the possibility to hide the advertising message once read, at leas for those who own the paid version of the product.

I do not admit anything different!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »
It is not advertising per se. It's a warning in advance of a well known end of support.
I know a lot of people who have adopted the same attitude as David, ho-hum the end
of support of XP. They too, can't wait for April 9th to see how much malware has
invaded their machines. The ones I know are not that concerned. Exactly like David.  ::)

By the way, I doubt that every XP user is aware of the so called deadline.
Another thing how often and how long do you stare at the GUI?  ???
I do what I need to do then either minimize or close the GUI.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Tetsuo

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »
Looking forward to April 9th 2014 to see if my systems immediately gets infected and spontaneously combusts as per the many dire warning of doom to try and get people to upgrade to win8 :P

and the funny thing is that in the last months the "XP market share" grew! :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:22:48 PM by Tetsuo »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »

and the funny thing is that in the last months the "XP market share" grew! :D

Just got a windows update notification - guess what they want to tell me of WinXP's end of life - I didn't install it as I suspect that it will just be a countdown timer, like there is on the KB (edit typo) page.

They are getting desperate, they have been trotting out this doom and gloom message for years (even before win8.x) in the hope that some would upgrade when win8 came out.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:31:19 PM by DavidR »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Another thing how often and how long do you stare at the GUI?  ???
Hello,
As far I'am concerned , very short time !!!

But we can see , you are not concerned , otherwise will you be happy to see along and each time* you boot xp , the same avast popup mess in your task bar ?
* Edit:each hour for me

I think after 2 or 3 mess , every newbe understand very well what happen but have to live with it .... the disc is scratched after all these same mess

Wise people do not ask for much more than not to be notified , obviously this is not the idea of ​​avast
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:29:06 PM by chris05 »