Author Topic: How do I get rid of Browser vulnerabilty message  (Read 12496 times)

jerryd

Re: How do I get rid of Browser vulnerabilty message
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »
Avast Techs,
 I've seen and understand the warning and I can choose what to do
 myself.  Since I pay for my Avast please give me a way to turn
 off this warning.

Jerryd

Cybergraphix

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
It is not advertising per se. It's a warning in advance of a well known end of support.

THIS IS advertising!! Otherwise there wouldn't be the suggestion to use only a product (Chrome) but there would be a generic suggestion to choose another safer browser choosing from the many available.

I really can not understand people who fail to see the evidence...

And again, I DON'T WANT ANY TYPE OF ADVERTISING INSIDE A PAID PRODUCT !

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
If it's in the GUI and worded the way it is...it's a warning/reminder message.
And there is no way a user can turn it off. The best solution short of avast
removing it from the GUI via a vps update is to not stare at the GUI.

You can, if you so desire, contact avast using this form.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »
The best solution...... is to not stare at the GUI.
Is there an other solution to not stare our desktop with this continual warning popup instead of VPS informing ?

Edit: [ b ] balise
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:48:51 PM by chris05 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
Is there an other solution to not stare our desktop with this continual warning popup instead of VPS informing ?

Whilst this (popup issue) is unrelated to this topic, you can do as have been mention in many other related topics to disable the auto update notifications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
It is not advertising per se. It's a warning in advance of a well known end of support.

THIS IS advertising!! Otherwise there wouldn't be the suggestion to use only a product (Chrome) but there would be a generic suggestion to choose another safer browser choosing from the many available.

I really can not understand people who fail to see the evidence...

And again, I DON'T WANT ANY TYPE OF ADVERTISING INSIDE A PAID PRODUCT !
Yes.

Avast GUI>Settings>Appearance>Popups (all).  Change the default setting from 20 seconds to 1 second.  Changing to 0 seconds will force you to close the pop-up manually every time (indefinite time) rather than turning off that pop-up, and also untick both Community Features whilst in there.  Scroll down to find both categories.  Click OK when done.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 10:22:07 PM »
<snip quotes>

Avast GUI>Settings>Appearance>Popups (all).  Change the default setting from 20 seconds to 1 second.  Changing to 0 seconds will force you to close the pop-up manually every time (indefinite time) rather than turning off that pop-up, and also untick both Community Features whilst in there.  Scroll down to find both categories.  Click OK when done.

Changing the duration of the popups that are piggybacked to the auto update notifications, will make no difference. The issues with this is is that they don't follow the set duration, don't give the voice over and don't give the auto update notification popup.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »

Whilst this (popup issue) is unrelated to this topic, you can do as have been mention in many other related topics to disable the auto update notifications.
Maybe did I misspoke but I speak about "Browser vulnerabilty message" (related to this topic ?).
I don't want to disable auto update notifications (sorry I know how to) , I want to disable only the "Browser vulnerability message" notification who take the place of VPS notification.
Am I clear enough ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 12:16:53 AM »
Unfortunately there is no way to selectively block this information popup when it is piggybacked on to the auto update notifications.

Offline Tangy

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »
I have Chrome installed since years but I still see the message.

Maybe Avast isn't able to detect Chrome?
It's a part of an advertising campaign by avast!, along with the warning pop-ups now issued by Microsoft about the end of Windows Update security support for XP on April 8th, 2014.  So avast! is not looking for an installation of Chrome in the first place.  You've seen the former but not the latter?

Running Chrome really isn't going to fix or lower risk of malware infections, IMO.  Ditching XP will, or running a linux variant and dual booting that for internet use instead of XP, would be better.  That way you get to keep your XP and run a more modern and safer operating system for the Internet.

Looking forward to April 9th 2014 to see if my systems immediately gets infected and spontaneously combusts as per the many dire warning of doom to try and get people to upgrade to win8 :P

Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4 (Unofficial).

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171171-introducing-unofficial-windows-xp-sp4/

;) :)
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

HawaiianHope

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 04:36:37 AM »
The problem being, how does avast know the experience level of every user, it can't.

You don't have to and its an irrelevant point.
If I as the user tell you that i no longer want to see a message on MY computer, then i don't want to see it.
I agree with OP. Yes, i understand what Micro$oft says that XP and explorer will soon not be supported, and my response is "SO THE HELL WHAT - I don't care. stop pimping your new products in my face and let me get back to my work."
As a very experienced user, Yes, I see what you have said, now get out of my face.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 05:05:47 AM »
In the whole scheme or things, I'm not getting to bent out of shape. I mean it's only Securtiy software!
But having said that, I'd rather not have this perminently on my PAID FOR GUI.
Shoot, I don't even use IE 8 and my other choices don't include Google.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 05:16:33 AM »
I have Chrome installed since years but I still see the message.

Maybe Avast isn't able to detect Chrome?
It's a part of an advertising campaign by avast!, along with the warning pop-ups now issued by Microsoft about the end of Windows Update security support for XP on April 8th, 2014.  So avast! is not looking for an installation of Chrome in the first place.  You've seen the former but not the latter?

Running Chrome really isn't going to fix or lower risk of malware infections, IMO.  Ditching XP will, or running a linux variant and dual booting that for internet use instead of XP, would be better.  That way you get to keep your XP and run a more modern and safer operating system for the Internet.

Looking forward to April 9th 2014 to see if my systems immediately gets infected and spontaneously combusts as per the many dire warning of doom to try and get people to upgrade to win8 :P

Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4 (Unofficial).

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171171-introducing-unofficial-windows-xp-sp4/

;) :)

I'm not sure why you'd choose to slip this Information Link, in a Topic Thread that has nothing to do with an important piece of information as this. ???
Would it not be better served here:http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
The problem being, how does avast know the experience level of every user, it can't.

You don't have to and its an irrelevant point.
If I as the user tell you that i no longer want to see a message on MY computer, then i don't want to see it.
I agree with OP. Yes, i understand what Micro$oft says that XP and explorer will soon not be supported, and my response is "SO THE HELL WHAT - I don't care. stop pimping your new products in my face and let me get back to my work."
As a very experienced user, Yes, I see what you have said, now get out of my face.

The quoted text in isolation doesn't show why I made the comment, as a direct result of the post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147021.msg1068886#msg1068886 by Cybergraphix.

No point in telling me to stop pimping products - I'm an avast user just like yourself.