Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.6.689)  (Read 122886 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.6.684)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2005, 01:41:16 AM »
It shows to all the improvements that version 684 will go to bring? is there any speed improvement?

Read post 18# above.
Quote from: iwod on July 01, 2005, 07:00:24 PM
is there any speed improvement?

I don't think so.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joooo

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2005, 01:46:02 AM »
This new version anger to have improvement in the speed of scaning of the programs, and improvements in the detection of virús?
E when it will have a perfectioning in the boxes of updates, leaving prettier and friendly?

kamulko

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2005, 01:59:30 AM »
This new version anger to have improvement in the speed of scaning of the programs, and improvements in the detection of virús?
E when it will have a perfectioning in the boxes of updates, leaving prettier and friendly?

Well, I ask:"Do you prefer quick scanning or deep and precise scanning?"; I don't understand this need for speed.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2005, 03:18:53 AM »
I see my problem with the initial about screen is still there.
The first time I use about, it's blank as the picture indicates.
I still need to close that display and then select about again to get the correct display.....
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2005, 08:34:24 AM »
Yes you do. Look in the corners where i marked with red on my pictures.
There are some round shapes with shaded corners and edges.
It looks even more ugly with other skins.

;D Ok, Now I think I don't understand what's wrong... I can't see any changes in my splash screen...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2005, 08:50:06 AM »
What happened with ashQuick?

I have set up a weekly scan using ashQuick.exe to scan the list of  hard drives on my system.

Until today, it has been scanning about 200,000 files (allowing for my exception list). 

Today, after installing beta release 4.6.684, I monitored the weekly ashQuick scan.  It scanned 3514 files.  For example the only files it scanned on the C: drive were in the folder Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4. 

I reverted my system back to Avast 4.6.665 (to the point immediately prior to installing 4.6.684) and ran the ashQuick scan of my hard drives again.  The expected about 200,000 files were scanned.  I reinstalled the beta release and repeated ... back to 3514 files being scanned.

mrdm

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2005, 10:20:47 AM »
Hello:

I have a couple of problems I did'nt have before installing this beta, hope you can help me.
1 - Avast's tray icon is missing
2 - the following error appears after starting the virus chest:

Inicialización de los archivos del baúl de virus

La acción se completó con errores.

El programa no puede utilizar el cliente del baúl de virus: (null)
--->Descripción: El servidor del baúl de virus (chest server) no está funcionando. Comunicación RPC fallida.

Inicialización de los archivos del baúl de virus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
El programa intentará cargar todos los archivos del baúl de virus desde el servidor: (null)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
La acción se completó con errores.

Transaltion:
it's something like:

initialization of archives from the virus chest.
the action was completed with errors.

the program cannot use the virus chest client: (null)
description: chest server is not working.
rpc communication failed.

initialization of archives from virus chest
the program will try to load all the archives of the virus chest from the following server:
(null)

action was completed with errors.

3 - resident protection was disabled when i started the simple ui, i enabled it
and after restarting the ui, it appeared again disabled.

avast 4.6.684
Windows XP professional, firefox 1.0.4
sygate personal firewall

thX
-- Mario
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 10:32:28 AM by mrdm »

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2005, 10:39:34 AM »
I think this icon could be changed to something nicer. For eg look to ewido and avast icons. avast icon looks very old-fashioned. Like in times we all used Win98.  ;D But it's only suggestion.

joooo

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2005, 01:00:22 PM »
me interest is in the complete sweepings, it would be very good if it increased speed of the sweepings, and the sweepings when opening a program, where avast is turning and alone later the program it opens.
  Also to improve the boxes of acknowledgments, those that when avast brings up to date they appear in top of the bar of tasks, in my opinion would be better if they were beautiful, this would cheer the users very.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 01:05:19 PM by joooo »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2005, 01:07:54 PM »
I have set up a weekly scan using ashQuick.exe to scan the list of  hard drives on my system.

Until today, it has been scanning about 200,000 files (allowing for my exception list). 

Today, after installing beta release 4.6.684, I monitored the weekly ashQuick scan.  It scanned 3514 files.  For example the only files it scanned on the C: drive were in the folder Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4. 

That's really very strange. How exactly did you schedule it? What is the command-line?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2005, 02:03:07 PM »
Downloaded, played with, full scan done, VRDB generated.  No difference noted so it must be working OK.  As for the cosmetics I am of the school if it works it's OK..

Cheers guys..

EDIT saw this post tried mine out found the same problem.  I will reboot and see if it reverts to manual update again  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14730.0
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 02:07:10 PM by essexboy »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2005, 02:16:09 PM »
Edited Avast .ini to read Automatic for both VPS and programme.  Saved, re-booted and it had reverted to manual again.  Obviously the programme wants me to take a more active part in the update process???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2005, 02:34:37 PM »
Well, since I'm on dial-up my settings in Update (Basic) started out as 'Ask when update is available' for the Virus database and Program and they have remained that way.

The 'Ask when update is available' is still technically an auto check/update you do have to click the box when notified though. Try that and see if that reverts to manual on reboot. If that sticks try changing to automatic again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »
Why changing through INI file if you can do it through menus?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2005, 02:43:30 PM »
The 'Ask when update is available' is still technically an auto check/update you do have to click the box when notified though. Try that and see if that reverts to manual on reboot. If that sticks try changing to automatic again.

Tried it rebooted, still reverts to manual ???
Why changing through INI file if you can do it through menus?

Because I thought that maybe the menu wasn't editing the ini file.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 02:45:20 PM by essexboy »