Author Topic: Transferring License From Dead Computer  (Read 5049 times)

Klinker

Transferring License From Dead Computer
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:26:26 AM »
Like the title says, what is the procedure for transferring AIS license from a dead computer to a new one.  I know this has been asked before and I did a search but didn't come up the answer.

Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Transferring License From Dead Computer
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:10:01 AM »
Normally you just uninstall on the one system and install on the other.

Since the computer is dead, you probably aren't going to be able to uninstall it. So just proceed with the installation on the new system, if you saved the license file (license.avastlic) transfer it to the new system and action it as you did before.

If you don't have a copy of the license file - you can use the - Resend avast License http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php, you will need to enter the email that you used when purchasing the license, e.g. the one that the original email with the link was sent.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Klinker

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 02:57:53 PM »
Since I won't be able to uninstall from the dead computer like normally happens for users, that was were I was confused. I wasn't sure how Avast would handle the fact that there was an active license for AIS loaded on a computer (even a "dead" one) when I tried to transfer my single license on another machine. I've got the license file on a flash drive so that's not a problem.

If I'm understanding you correctly, application of a license on another machine basically tells Avast to activate/verify AIS on the new machine, and deactivate any pre-existing Avast products on other machines even if I can't actually uninstall on the old (dead) machine?

I know I could always re-send license through Avast, but the last time I had to do that it took something like a week and half to get back and obviously I would rather install Avast immediately without delay

Thanks, and sorry I'm trying to over complicate the situation.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
The dead computer won't be active again, so it doesn't have an active installation/PC. The license can be used multiple times so long as there are no other active installations (e.g. getting virus definitions updates, etc.).

The installation and use of the license on another system doesn't deactivate other systems that it is installed on.

Use of the resend license isn't mandatory only as I said "If you don't have a copy of the license file" on USB, etc. then you wouldn't have other options.

Getting the license resent shouldn't take a week and a half, that is an exception rather than the rule. If it finds the record of your license (given the information entered in the form) then it should be sent almost immediately.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security