Author Topic: Adobe Updater not in Avast's Software updater? Legit?  (Read 1579 times)

daniel01

Adobe Updater not in Avast's Software updater? Legit?
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »
I get a blurb on the taskbar saying to update Adobe Updater. But when I check Avast's Software Updater, the only Adobe software that it says to update is:

Adobe AIR
Adobe Reader
Adobe Flash Active X
Flash Player Plugin

There is no "Adobe Updater" listed. One time I clicked on the blurb and it showed an icon like the one attached. I should have print screened it but it was awhile back, and I have hesitated to click it again, when it sometimes pops up, for fear of downloading something. Is it legit? And if so why doesn't Avast show it in the software updates?

If anyone can help me out it is much appreciated.

waking

Re: Adobe Updater not in Avast's Software updater? Legit?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
That looks like the icon for Adobe Updater alright. You'll typically find the program Adobe_Updater.exe in a directory such as Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Update6\

It's used to control auto updates of programs such as Acrobat, Reader, Photoshop, etc.

It occasionally needs to be updated itself. See for example:

Adobe Updater 6.2 Update
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4509

If in doubt about the legitimacy of the update prompt, check the version you have installed and then go to the Adobe site - perhaps the forums would be a good place - and see if there'e a later version than what you have.

Perhaps it's not in avast!'s suggested updates list because it isn't known to be vulnerable to exploits ... my guess.