Author Topic: WIN32:Evo-gen{susp} issue  (Read 1917 times)

Zoldgaulfer

WIN32:Evo-gen{susp} issue
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:11 PM »
When trying to open Excel file system starts trying to install Microsoft 2000 SR-1 Small business
Shortly before this happened I got an Avast alert of possible malicious item. Upon checking the Virus chest I found that Avast had quarantined the following information.
Name                        Original Location                                        Last Changed               Transfer time           
EXCEL.EXE    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office           2/25/2000 1:34:56     
Transfer time             Virus
3/3/2014  4:23:59      :Evo-gen {susp}
It appears that Avast didn't finish the job and the virus got to my Excel files because now every time I try to open one of my Excel spreadsheets I get "Installing Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business, Please wait while Windows is configuring Microsoft Office 2000SR-1, gathering information."
Then the next display pops up and states, " The feature you are trying to use is on a CD Rom or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business disk and click OK."
If I click okay as above instructions the frame states, " Accessing the feature" But since I don't have the disk in the system it states again, "Insert the Microsoft Office 2000SR-1 Small Business disk and click ok."
This appears we have the virus in my Excel.Exe  file and every time I try to open a spreadsheet, the system fires up the install for Microsoft Office 2000SR-1 Small Business. 
I am at a loss as what to do next to get this virus removed. Have run the scanner in Avast again as well as CC Cleaner, Microsoft Fix It but to no avail. There a number of sites with solutions but I am not sure who to trust and don't want to create more issues.  Would appreciate help to get rid of this WIN32:Evo-gen {susp}.  Thanks in advance

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: WIN32:Evo-gen{susp} issue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »
The legitimate excel.exe file is currently falsely detected as malware.
Restore it from the chest and add it to the exclusion list for now.
The problem will be solved a.s.a.p.

Zoldgaulfer

Re: WIN32:Evo-gen{susp} issue
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »
Many Thanks Eddy. Problem solved!