Author Topic: Uninstalling avast, got stuck  (Read 24554 times)

kalleomg

Uninstalling avast, got stuck
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:32:30 PM »
Hey,

So my internet isnt working on my desktop since ever since they peformed some maintenance so i decided to uninstall all antivirus and firewalls and try again. When uninstalling avast it gets stuck at "Stoppar tjänst: avast! antivirus" which is translated to "stopping service: avast antivirus" which is towards the end of the uninstallation process. The computer and uninstall program are still responding but it has been stuck at this step for like 15 minutes now, what should I do ? I use the latest version of avast free
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:34:18 PM by kalleomg »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Uninstalling avast, got stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
Did you use "safe mode" while uninstalling?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

kalleomg

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »
Nope I just went into windows uninstall thingy and clicked avast anti virus and remove. I guess i could ctrl alt delete and close the uninstall process however I herd aborting in he middle of uninstalling is not really a good move. I cannot simply click the X in the top right corner I can only minimize the window. I got windows 7 64-bit
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:51:34 PM by kalleomg »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
Download and save the avast uninstall tool.

Run the uninstaller and click "yes" to reboot into safe mode.
Reboot.
Re-install avast.
Reboot and either register or insert license. (Note: you may need to reboot more than once.)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:58:12 PM »
To completely remove all remnants of the failed uninstall, use this tool provided by avast!:  http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

I'd recommend you download a fresh copy of whatever version you're trying to install (avast!?) here:  http://www.avast.com/download-software and stay off the Internet with the affected system untill all is in place; use another system to get these files and any others needed by the following link: 

http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Possible issues can arise from remnants left-over from previously installed security programs after uninstalling normally.  Link above should help resolve these issues.

One active resident a/v and one firewall only.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

kalleomg

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:03:46 PM »
I ended up just using ctrl+alt+del close avast unintall and then going into safe mode and the uninstalling avast, it seemed to work.